Thread: IPP2 and LOG + LUT

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    it reverts back to log3g10 IIRC.. did this a while ago, don't remember the specifics though.. the LUTs work as they should and I can bake it on the prores 2k files
    It also helps to monitor while using the same LUT (33³) that I'll be using as a base grade (65³)...instead of monitoring using IPP2, some luts can differ in contrast/exposure etc.. so i find it better to expose already using a temp LUT than using IPP2... when I'm going this route... other times I just use IPP2.

Fabricio,

Thanks for the detailed explanation!

Great to know. Appreciate the insights here and the workflow tips. Was hoping to keep it all under the hood but maybe not an option for what I'm after at the moment. Tons of workarounds though should it become a topline requirement. Thanks!

I'm going to submit a feature request on the Red page and see if maybe this isn't something that can be added. Even if it's a "no" at least we'll know. I'll circle back if I hear anything definitive.
    Brendan H. Banks
    DP
    Epic-W Helium #796

Quote Originally Posted by Fabricio Morato View Post
    So without having to go to legacy mode what I came up with was to use an inverted IPP2 and bake in my own flavor on top of it.. so it is basically negating the in camera IPP2 and using my LUT on top.. used photoshop to handle the LUT thing.. is this what you are after? I have to use the same inverted rolloff and gamma as the one in camera though..
    The inverted IPP2 I got it from Graeme.
    No better would be to convert your lut to log3g10 space so it can be put underneath the log3g10 to rec709 lut. As your lut can clamp colors which will not comeback when rolling back from rec 709.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame / VFX / Motion capture / Monstro

If the company 3 guys know their way around colors and read the IPP2 white paper they very much should be able to give Brendan exact what ever look they created for him in what ever other color space but applicable as an IPP2 lut to use in camera so he get the exact same look without loss. Possibly Its not a one button click thing, but yes possible.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame / VFX / Motion capture / Monstro

Brendan,

How are you making your Luts right now for IPP2? I'm interested because I just wanted to see if there is something in your workflow that could be changed that could possibly give you better results.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabricio Morato View Post
    it reverts back to log3g10
    In other words...you used a LUT to compensate the tone maps locked in IPP2 in camera...to get back to base Log3G10 RWG minus tone maps, available in Legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    No better would be to convert your lut to log3g10 space so it can be put underneath the log3g10 to rec709 lut.
    No, that would be a bad idea.

Best for this purpose would be designing a look based on clean Log3G10 RWG, on test footage shot in same scene/light/setup as the planned shoot, using a clean Log3G10 RWG in Legacy with that LUT applied for preview, using a recorder for proxy LUT burn-in and avoiding any image transformation acrobatics. Especially lattice based ones.
    http://i68.tinypic.com/drcb4y.jpg

Analog > Camera feel optimization http://omeneo.com
    Digital > Camera performance optimization http://omeneo.com/primers

imdb

"Como delfines en el fondo del oceano
    volamos por el universo incentivados por la esperanza"

"L'esperanza", Sven Väth
    "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards"
    Jung/ Carol

Noah Yuan-Vogel | noahyv.com

ACES?