Thread: 2019 Motorsports Reel

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 2019 Motorsports Reel 
    Excited to show this off. Been shooting for about two years now, though all this footage except one shot was in the last 18 months since getting a RED. It really was a game-changer to have such an amazing image at higher frame rates in a small compact body. Cant wait to upgrade to 8K next year and see what the desert looks like then. Would love to hear some feedback on this and overall thoughts. The editing is bit different then what we normally do, but thought to have some flashes and such helped create a reel that made every moment stand out.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell M Johnston View Post
    Excited to show this off. Been shooting for about two years now, though all this footage except one shot was in the last 18 months since getting a RED. It really was a game-changer to have such an amazing image at higher frame rates in a small compact body. Cant wait to upgrade to 8K next year and see what the desert looks like then. Would love to hear some feedback on this and overall thoughts. The editing is bit different then what we normally do, but thought to have some flashes and such helped create a reel that made every moment stand out.

Ooouf! Those high speed tracking shots (not frame rate, but physical speed) are insane! Also everything was tack sharp; were those canon lenses?

And what fps was the HFR stuff? With slo-mo automotive, I sometimes find that the cars just look like they're driving slow (rather than it being HFR). I guess the flying dust/dirt/trucks helps that! lol!

Pretty intense! Makes me want to launch a car/truck off a dirt jump... Just frickin' send it!

Thanks Mike.

The tracking shots are shot on a Red Raven mounted to a Movi Pro system with Tamron Glass ( In my mind Tamron is someone to watch out for, their glass is epic.) One shot is holding the Movi with doors off in an R44 doing about 120mph, the other is in a truck on a road doing about 90mph. Those tracking shots are key to us, makes the viewer really feel the speed.

The HFR stuff is anything from 4.5 120fps to 3K at 200fps. All depends on the shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell M Johnston View Post
    One shot is holding the Movi with doors off in an R44 doing about 120mph, the other is in a truck on a road doing about 90mph. Those tracking shots are key to us, makes the viewer really feel the speed.

The HFR stuff is anything from 4.5 120fps to 3K at 200fps. All depends on the shot.
    Whew, well that'll do it! It's the duration of them; it felt like ~5s+ at *full*throttle ripping on dirt track... Definitely felt the speed in both and actually impressed with the truck shot (you kind of expect a helo shot to be smooth, but hanging out a truck - on asphalt or not - is a different beast.) What do you guys do for motion-sickness? LOL!

Anyway, keep it up! (Were those Tamrons mostly at f8~11? I'm impressed with how well ~3k/200 held up at 4k.)
    Last edited by Mike P.; 09-14-2019 at 10:59 PM.

Thanks. Ya the Tarmons are doing great. I find the 100-400 is really sharp all over but F8 or a bit higher is where I keep it so I can track a bit better. 3K on the Raven is great with good lens and bit of sharping in post. The heli stuff is Movi Pro handheld so no Shotover just yet, hoping to add one to the kit in the year or two with that new B1 or maybe a G1.