Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Introducing RANGER Gemini and RANGER Helium

Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tiemann View Post
    I'll bet that Ranger Helium and Ranger Gemini are just as compatible with DSMC2 accessories as they are with DSMC3 accessories. Think about it...
    Chances that DSMC3 does not have behind lens ND I find very slim. And I think it would be strange if they did not move to faster Media, UHD SDI, viewfinder and touch screen. So no, I'm guessing Ranger is more the last iteration of DSMC2.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame / VFX / Motion capture / Monstro

The DSMC2 design ethos was about putting state of the art motion imaging into the smallest form factor manageable. IMO, the power of that combination was so great that ARRI was compelled to make the Mini. That said, perhaps the next evolution will be tiny cinema quality action cams and full featured "A" cams like Ranger. Like many RedUsers I've learned how to strip down the DSMC2 body for gimbals, etc and then rig it up for studio style production. The versatility of DSMC2 is amazing, but inevitably there are some compromises required.

If, in fact, the Komodo can deliver IQ on par with Helium/Dragon/Gemini then do we really need the next iteration of Ranger (presumably housing DSMC3 tech) to prioritize staying small? What if RED made a "studio" camera like Ranger that was a couple inches longer, weighed 9 or 10 lbs and ate batteries a bit faster - in exchange for - quiet operation, higher frame rates, more on board capabilities to reduce the need for add ons (Video TX, MDRs, Audio RX, sync boxes, etc)?

How nice would it be to walk over to your cart and have a full featured "A" cam that required little more than a battery to be "built" and a Komodo for everything else? Just sayin'

Cheers - #19

I can understand how rental houses would not want random people messing with the delicate back focus mechanism in DSMC2 body cameras, thus the Ranger offering shimmed back focus only. But for owner operators, I have just discovered the value and ease of the adjustable back focus, and the ability to change it if necessary for different lens sets, in consideration of "upgrading" to Ranger, this is something that I would miss. Also, having already purchased so many modules for DSMC2 that are not needed for Ranger, they would likely all just sit in a box or need to be sold at a low price. But if I was new to the market, the Ranger would definitely be very appealing. On the other hand, the trade-up price does make one take notice.
    DSMC2 Helium 1402
    DSMC2 Helium 6423

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    Bjorn you can upgrade your Monstro to a Monstro Ranger, you just need to do it through your preferred authorized rental house... they control Monstro Rangers.
    whats the price on this one?
    EPIC-X DRAGON 7424

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tiemann View Post
    I'll bet that Ranger Helium and Ranger Gemini are just as compatible with DSMC2 accessories as they are with DSMC3 accessories. Think about it...
    I SINCERELY hope that DSMC3 drops the pogo interface DVI/HDMI and does SDI for everything - for monitors and EVFs. I would like to see a new EVF from RED with SDI input.
    Mark L. Pederson

And give us that 4k SDI 12G output.
    With magnify toggle 1:1 while recording.

7.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    What happens to the ability to swap between sensors if having ranger.
    Good question and something that we have been working in the background with the RANGER MONSTRO.

It is a bit different with Ranger, Instead of you holding your own sensors in the vault if you have a Ranger X and for a Job you need to change to a Ranger Y, And you own both sensors, Then we swap from a special pool of cameras instead of switching sensors. That dramatically reduces the turn around time with the negative that you get back a different camera / serial number. It's the same that will happen with trade-ins from this round of DSMC2 trade-ins to Rangers, you will get another camera back instead of traditionally just using your parts and taking the time to upgrade to whatever you are upgrading to . It's just way quicker that way.

One positive side effect from this change to Trade-in instead of Upgrades is it also gives us Battle Tested DSMC2 camera brains to sell as well at a pretty great discount, Starting with the Monstros that we have been doing trade-ins with rental houses over the last few months. You will see those Battle Tested Monstros at Dealers soon, and Brent is working on getting those to be available here on REDUSER as a group buy.

You will see those Battle Tested Monstros at Dealers soon, and Brent is working on getting those to be available here on REDUSER as a group buy.
    You have my attention :)

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

9.   This is the last RED TEAM post in this thread.   #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gundu View Post
    You have my attention :)
    We have a few battle tested Monstros ready to go... $35k battle tested . 90 day warranty as per Battle tested but you can buy RED ARMOR for them. It's kind of a word of mouth thing right now so PM Brent ( or your dealer ) if you want to grab one while they are available.

We have a few battle tested Monstros ready to go... $35k battle tested . 90 day warranty as per Battle tested but you can buy RED ARMOR for them. It's kind of a word of mouth thing right now so PM Brent ( or your dealer ) if you want to grab one while they are available.
    WOW this sounds amazing for those who can swing it.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv