Thread: Sidehandle good?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Sidehandle good? 
    Hiya,
    I'm considering getting the side handle. Is it good? I had the old side handle on Red Epic MX and loved it.

https://www.red.com/dsmc2-side-handle

We currently use the Outtrigger Handle and also the "little screen that sits on the side of the camera with 4 buttons". Before I thought it would be a downside that the side handle would take this place, but I rarely use this controller.

I really miss more buttons and controllers on the Red and the side handle seem to take care of this.

Thoughts?
    Andreas
    Last edited by AndreasOberg; 09-09-2019 at 05:13 AM.
    www.ObergWildlife.com- Natural History Filmmaking
    www.WildlifeRescueMovie.com- Saving the animals of the Rainforest!
    CF Weapon Helium 8K Strummer Bright Tangerine, Inspire 2 X7, OConnor 2560, Canon 50-1000mm

I didn’t keep mine long. Its not Something you can easily remove once attached.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Thanks Bob, what was it you did not like? The main thing i miss currently is a quick way of changing aperture on Canon lenses.

/Andreas
    CF Weapon Helium 8K Strummer Bright Tangerine, Inspire 2 X7, OConnor 2560, Canon 50-1000mm

The focus wheel sucks. Everything else works. I’ve only taken mine off to use my GDU cowboy handles and I haven’t taken it off in the last year...

Quote Originally Posted by AndreasOberg View Post
    Thanks Bob, what was it you did not like? The main thing i miss currently is a quick way of changing aperture on Canon lenses.

/Andreas
    Just can’t pack it without some effort to dissemble. And the wheel isn’t great.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

It's OK, but focusing is tricky and not accurate.

Terradeck Thumbwheels are are a far better way to go.

https://teradek.com/collections/teradek-rt

Totally depends on operating style. My Sidekick is perfect for me as usually it's an AC or someone on that side of the cam. A close buddy of mine shoots lots of handheld and uses the handle and swears by it. I've tried it and though it's good for those situations, I'm in more of a traditional cine-style build for my cameras and have other ways of achieving what I want. If you've got a handle off that side and are constantly saying "dang I wish I had buttons on this handle" then it seems like a perfect fit to me. Only thing of note is the added space it will occupy in your bag(s) due to the handle. It definitely doesn't come off as easily as other handles, you'll want to leave it built with it on most of the time.
    Brendan H. Banks
    DP
    Epic-W Helium #796

Brendan, I think you are quite spot on. I do miss buttons. Especially when using DSLR lenses I want to be able to quickly switch aperture and this was very easy with the old side handle. Now I have to press the display which is often hard to reach because of the sun hood. I guess I could use the sidekick buttons, but they are nto really possible to reach if you would hold in the handle. In fact they are quite tricky to use from the back since you do not see them at all. Of course for long lenses we use CN20x50 so no need for aperture control but for wide angle shots we still use DSLR glass.

How much wider is it compared to the Outtrigger Handle? Extra space is of course never good for packing.

Best,
    Andreas

I like the side handle a lot, partly because I typically rock an EVF instead of a touch screen. My EVF mounting solution (UltraLite arm) allows me to nest the EVF right behind the side handle for transit so the space it eats in the bag isn't wasted.

Cheers - #19

Yeah I like it with the bomb evf with EF glass though it's so easy to bend the pins when it's de-attached in transit, I got hit by a massive repair bill from red : (

The older ones rocking the redvolts were better IMHO.

Craig Lees
    UK
    Last edited by Craig Lees; 09-10-2019 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Typo