Thread: Helium on set color issue - dull colors.

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Helium on set color issue - dull colors. 
    My Helium was stolen few weeks ago, and i just got a replacement.

The new camera works great except for one thing.

The SDI tap seems to have trouble outputting accurate colors.

I was shooting fruit on a tabletop set, and the bright beautiful colors of the set just wouldn't come through. I went through everything, change to STHL olpf mid shoot, IPP2, Legacy RWG/3G10 w/ Luts, RedGamma4/Redocolor etc....

Nothing seemed to work to make the images on the monitor look good. Bright lemon yellow, salmon / peach, Mandarin orange coloraide papers all looked grey and washed out. The yellows looked tan, the Salmon/Peach looked grey and the Orange just looked dull.

The RAW files with the luts on the DIT station looked great.

The contrast is there, it doesnt look like LOG. The colors are just skewed. anyone having any problems like this? The Monitors are set to the appropriate looks, and the internal saturation is normal. Pumping it up, to 1.5 SAT, helps a little, but it makes the tan color more tan, not lemon yellow.

This is how its supposed to look:

Instead it looks more like this on the monitor ( Flanders 17", Small HD 13" and RED 7" all the same)

Am i forgetting something.... The 3D lut is on, and outputting to all monitors. The first image, the colorful one is the RAW with the shooting lut applied in FCP/Premiere the dull one is how the camera is outputting the image over SDI and RED Monitor.
    Director Of Photography
    RED Weapon Helium - Gemini
    --Official Sigma Pro--
    www.TimurCivan.com
    Timurcivan@gmail.com

This just looks like you have the saturation of the monitor image to like 30 or something. Can you adjust saturation? Or what you are seeing is probably the actual RAW file in RAW format on your monitor. Check your RED settings and look for external monitor or something like that where you might be able to adjust the image your sending to the monitor. But I think you're seeing the RAW image.

I think it might be in the same settings as "edge, focus peaking" etc

Yea i checked that. Its normal.

I will keep digging deeper....
    Director Of Photography
    --Official Sigma Pro--
    www.TimurCivan.com
    Timurcivan@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Timur Civan View Post
    My Helium was stolen few weeks ago, and i just got a replacement.

The new camera works great except for one thing.

The SDI tap seems to have trouble outputting accurate colors.

I was shooting fruit on a tabletop set, and the bright beautiful colors of the set just wouldn't come through. I went through everything, change to STHL olpf mid shoot, IPP2, Legacy RWG/3G10 w/ Luts, RedGamma4/Redocolor etc....

Nothing seemed to work to make the images on the monitor look good. Bright lemon yellow, salmon / peach, Mandarin orange coloraide papers all looked grey and washed out. The yellows looked tan, the Salmon/Peach looked grey and the Orange just looked dull.

The RAW files with the luts on the DIT station looked great.

The contrast is there, it doesnt look like LOG. The colors are just skewed. anyone having any problems like this? The Monitors are set to the appropriate looks, and the internal saturation is normal. Pumping it up, to 1.5 SAT, helps a little, but it makes the tan color more tan, not lemon yellow.

This is how its supposed to look:

Instead it looks more like this on the monitor ( Flanders 17", Small HD 13" and RED 7" all the same)

Am i forgetting something.... The 3D lut is on, and outputting to all monitors. The first image, the colorful one is the RAW with the shooting lut applied in FCP/Premiere the dull one is how the camera is outputting the image over SDI and RED Monitor.

Looks like a LOG image is sent to SDI. Check the SDI output settings first, then the Monitor settings

You pressed the RAW hotkey on the Red monitor.

Looks like rec2020 goes out in the sdi instead of rec709.
    As a test skip ipp2 and put it to old colorpipeline like redgamma3 or such, just to see if its the issue.
    I used a helium not long ago that had the same behavior and I tripple checked all color settings next to my monstro and they where all the same. It was like the camera did not want to play ball with ipp2 / not showing proper rec709 on any screen even if that was the setting. So I shot with old legacy settings and flipped over to rwgrgb in post as we did not have time to deal with it on set and as the camera was not mine I did not investigate any further.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame / VFX / Motion capture / Monstro

I did a factory reset and it seems fine now.
    Director Of Photography
    --Official Sigma Pro--
    www.TimurCivan.com
    Timurcivan@gmail.com

I was going to suggest:

a) how's the calibration on the monitor?

and

b) shoot a color chart with known values (like the DSC Chroma DuMonde) and see how it looks on the Vectorscope and Waveform monitor. If the Rec709 levels come back as expected, then you're seeing something real.

Without that, it's all guesswork.
    marc wielage, csi • colorist/post consultant • daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Timur Civan View Post
    I did a factory reset and it seems fine now.
    Think we had the same bug. Also at the same time I had flat pink / no picture on playback when in ipp2 but all worked fine in legacy mode.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame / VFX / Motion capture / Monstro