Thread: Unloading Red files on the go in 2019

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Unloading Red files on the go in 2019 
    Hi all!

Technology is going at a crazy speed today, and i need your enlightenment.

Can i transfer files from a Red CF card to a Micro sd card through an iPhone?
    With a card reader like this, that is technically possible :
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RVCM99M..._t2_B077VC79FZ

But i'm not an iPhone guy and i don't know if IOS allows to transfer unrecognized files (or folders) from a card slot (CF) to an other (Micro sd)..
    That could really help with the 16gb Red cf card limitation.

Thanks in advance!

You can’t with an iPhone, but you can now with an iPad with the new iPadOS beta. I’ve been transferring files through my iPad Pro no problem. You just can’t play any .r3ds yet unfortunately. All you need is a USB-C hub to give you multiple USB ports.
    Last edited by Cole Sprague; 09-09-2019 at 08:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cole Sprague View Post
    You canít with an iPhone, but you can now with an iPad with the new iPadOS beta. Iíve been transferring files through my iPad Pro no problem. You just canít play and .r3ds yet unfortunately. All you need is a USB-C hub to give you multiple USB ports.
    Thanks for your answer! But you are talking about unloading .R3D files to a hard drive right?
    What about transferring from a CF card to a MicroSD card with the USB-C card reader i've linked below?

As for your technique, do i need an iPad pro or all iPad/ipad mini can do the job? Is there a particular app needed?

Thank you!!

You can’t with an iPhone, but you can now with an iPad with the new iPadOS beta. I’ve been transferring files through my iPad Pro no problem. You just can’t play any .r3ds yet unfortunately. All you need is a USB-C hub to give you multiple USB ports.
    Well this is great news. I'm interested in not re-upping on a laptop in the future and just going iPad Pro and owning a tower. I'm hoping we can get like a Hedge or something for iPadOS. I only ever need my machine for dumping as a backup anyway. Cole, are you doing a "finder" style transfer or are there apps already that will do verification?
    Brendan H. Banks
    DP
    Epic-W Helium #796

Quote Originally Posted by Mendes Nabil View Post
    Thanks for your answer! But you are talking about unloading .R3D files to a hard drive right?
    What about transferring from a CF card to a MicroSD card with the USB-C card reader i've linked below?

As for your technique, do i need an iPad pro or all iPad/ipad mini can do the job? Is there a particular app needed?

Thank you!!
    Sure you could I guess I just don’t know why you would want to. SSDs are cheap, fast, and small already. MicroSD sounds like a bad idea for media to transfer footage to.

Yes right now it’s just the native files app, to my knowledge there isn’t a robust transfer app yet like hedge or shotput. Hopefully we get something like that soon.

I just tested again today on the latest iPadOS 13 beta on the latest iPad Pro and connecting up a mini-mag reader over USB-C works fine in the Files app. Very easy to transfer them to the internal iPad storage. Even copying to iCloud Drive works fine on a good connection, it transfers to internal storage and then they get uploaded just fine. There are some good USB-C hubs out there that work well with the iPad Pro if you need to charge and transfer files from a mini-mag to another external storage device and also power the device.

Would love to see Red develop an app that allows R3D playback of some sort. I would imagine an iPad Pro is capable of playing back some R3Ds at some resolutions. Or as others mentioned maybe something like Hedge for iPad.
    Last edited by andrewhake; 09-10-2019 at 06:01 PM.

Is it fast? Cause if it is.... that’s my new offloading setup.
    Director Of Photography
    RED Weapon Helium - Gemini
    --Official Sigma Pro--
    www.TimurCivan.com
    Timurcivan@gmail.com

I love the iPad setup but I would be concerned about power consumption over the USB C port especially when using a hub. Getting an AC powered hub would negate the mobility of it if it can't drive both the Mini-Mag reader and an external hdd.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewhake View Post
    Would love to see Red develop an app that allows R3D playback of some sort. I would imagine an iPad Pro is capable of playing back some R3Ds at some resolutions. Or as others mentioned maybe something like Hedge for iPad.
    That would be a valid reason to upgrade to an ipad pro. I would be ok with a lower resolution. Just so I can verify that clips playback. Would be cool if you could put in info to the meta data on the ipad aswell.
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Flotron View Post
    I love the iPad setup but I would be concerned about power consumption over the USB C port especially when using a hub. Getting an AC powered hub would negate the mobility of it if it can't drive both the Mini-Mag reader and an external hdd.
    Im fine with an ac for both ipad and an external drive. Or even better if there is a sleek usg port dubbler so you could run ac to the ipad and power the external drive from the ipad.
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069