Thread: Mac Mini compare Mac Pro

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    In terms of performance for typical RedUser workflows, I agree with Jeff's characterization of the MacMini+eGPU combo as essentially a step sideways. That said, if you can get enough for the used trash can to make the sideways step economical I'd still do it. Why? Let's start with the Titan Ridge TB3 controller, direct 10gE port via BTO and HDMI 2.0 spigot the Mini offers. Then there's the uber convenient form factor. Traveling light - check. Mounting on the back of a display, both for regular use with a keyboard and as a dedicated play out server - check.
    eGPUs certainly have limitations, particularly in current implementations, but when your measuring stick is the dual D700s in the trash can...

Cheers - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Allan View Post
    Thanks Misha. I stand corrected. Seems as though there is still life in the old girl yet.

Looked a little closer at the Radeon VII and it appears as though it is already EOL. My difficulty is I know so little about GPU. Even so I’m guessing some of the Radeons strength is in the 16G capacity. Here is an article that gives a little more detail . . .

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/am...tus,39861.html

Given an EOL, is there an equivalent that is more current that will give similar/better result? The option the above article suggests while cheaper is only 8gig.
    We reached out to AMD for confirmation, and the chipmaker has given us a rather cryptic response that doesn't seem to clear up the matter.

We continue to see strong availability of Radeon VII in the channel for both gamers and creators.
    Pugetsystem kind of hates the Radeon VII and as a company who wants to earn money I kind of understand it. It is way to cheap for the value you get.

We bought 3 of them a while ago and they work as expected (super fast).

There is no GPU is this price range with such an amount of memory, memory bandwidth and compute performance (all very important in programs like Davinci Resolve, Blender, etc..)

Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post
    In terms of performance for typical RedUser workflows, I agree with Jeff's characterization of the MacMini+eGPU combo as essentially a step sideways. That said, if you can get enough for the used trash can to make the sideways step economical I'd still do it. Why? Let's start with the Titan Ridge TB3 controller, direct 10gE port via BTO and HDMI 2.0 spigot the Mini offers. Then there's the uber convenient form factor. Traveling light - check. Mounting on the back of a display, both for regular use with a keyboard and as a dedicated play out server - check.
    eGPUs certainly have limitations, particularly in current implementations, but when your measuring stick is the dual D700s in the trash can...

Cheers - #19
    Im still rocking an older Mac Mini with a Sonnet and ROCKET with my Scarlet kit ;)

Yea yea I know its dated but heck it helps rent the kit.
    < Someday I'll be cool enough to have something witty here >

I also switched to PC a while ago. It's not for everyone, but prices can be insanely cheaper for very capable systems. I also bought my first PC from Puget Systems as I didn't know what to begin with and they have a great reputation and extremely helpful with .

With that said, if you go stay with Mac I highly recommend buying refurbished directly from apple. Same warranty and straight from the factory. You can't beat it.
    https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/mac