Thread: Canon C500 Mark II

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Too funny that Red is taking advantage of the RF mount on the Komodo, but canon isn't with their new camera. I do not understand the lack of RF mount.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Jones View Post
    Too funny that Red is taking advantage of the RF mount on the Komodo, but canon isn't with their new camera. I do not understand the lack of RF mount.
    Their internal ND mechanism seems to be the culprit.

A little surprised on the pricing of the Lens Mounts, but so it is.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Jones View Post
    That's because you aren't looking at the big picture. Canon's EF lenses are ubiquitous and this product is geared towards those who might already be using Canon DSLRs or the older Canon video cameras that use EF lenses, so it makes sense to use that out of the box, to sell to the largest userbase. RF mounts will be offered on their cameras if/when it makes business sense to Canon and it doesn't, until Canon moves further into their transition away from EF lenses and offers more RF lenses to go with RF cameras. Komodo uses RF because RED doesn't give a fook about the business of lenses (or Canon's business), as they have relationships with companies like Sigma, who will be releasing their own Cinema-grade RF lenses down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Takor Arrey View Post
    Would be interesting to see how this affects the prices of new and used C200/C300II
    I imagine not at all on the C200; it's only $6,500 compared to $16,000. But the C300 mkII is getting so old and lacks in features for 2019/2020 buyer that I'm betting they will lower the price. What's interesting to me is that this camera at $16k is priced the same as the C300 line has been historically at launch. I'm curious about what Canon will price a new C300, or if this is meant to replace that tier in their lineup.

There's a wishlist for the C300 mkIII over on DVXUser, and it's pretty much this new C500...

Does anybody know if there are indeed variable frame rates? I saw one chart listing it at 1-60 FPS. If that's correct, I'm going to take a hard look at this.

The Crossing Trailer for upcoming acid western inspired by the world of Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian.
    https://vimeo.com/105448633

The Lonely Moan
    http://vimeo.com/33643688

Dead Lonesome A film about Ghost Towns and the Mystique of the Western Landscape filmed in 35mm. http://vimeo.com/6874360

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Their internal ND mechanism seems to be the culprit.

A little surprised on the pricing of the Lens Mounts, but so it is.
    Me too, 2500.00 for locking EF mount...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Taylor View Post
    Does anybody know if there are indeed variable frame rates? I saw one chart listing it at 1-60 FPS. If that's correct, I'm going to take a hard look at this.
    59.94 Hz mode: 59.94i/59.94P/29.97P/23.98P
    50.00 Hz mode: 50.00i/50.00P/25.00P
    24.00 Hz mode: 24.00P

That's what's in the official specs and there's nothing about VFR, though I suspect a later firmware upgrade could implement it. The only frame-rate feature listed on the specs is the vague Slow/Fast motion recording option.

In regards to the c500 MkII anamorphic modes,
    Wasn't canon talking about releasing some anamorphic lenses, a few years ago ? Has anyone heard anything more about them?
    Full frame auto focus would be cool super fantastic.

I think we will rent this one as soon as it comes out.

Smart move to go CFExpress, it gave them internal compressed RAW, just like AXS and XQD gave compressed RAW to Sony.
    CFExpress to U.2 converters are on the way.

If Canon determined that CFExpress (type B) was close enough to widespread deployment to use it in the C500Mk2, it bodes well for DSMC3 having it.

While CFE may be overkill for "normal" acquisition, it has the potential to improve frame rate/compression ratio equations. Sensor read/reset times, thermal management, etc come first - but for high speed capture, going from the 300MB/s of mini-mags to potentially 1,200MB/s would provide a lot more data space per frame.

Cheers - #19