Thread: Canon C500 Mark II

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jordan levy View Post
    internal ND's, 5 axis image stabilization(first time i heard of that in a video camera) and Auto focus look great for doc work. i mean...
    Yeh Canon DP AF is no joke. I'd pay cash money to have that option on Monstro. Bought a c200 for situations - though rare - where having AF is critical.

and does the monitor and EVF come included? love the detachable evf option.
    it also looks sony is going to announce something very similar with highly advanced eye detection auto focus, but full frame 6k.
    Last edited by jordan levy; 09-05-2019 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jordan levy View Post
    internal ND's, 5 axis image stabilization(first time i heard of that in a video camera) and Auto focus look great for doc work. i mean...

also if CFexpress is the future, wouldnt Komodo use them too?
    If I had to guess it would appear Canon is licensing some of Sony's tech for this camera. Until this week Type B CFexpress was pretty much non-existent outside of being announced. It's even more interesting to me the camera is a mock up camera in the video. I'd also be curious about the 5-axis image stabilization as well. Not saying it's a bad thing if they're tapping into their tech for whatever reason, just curious as to what changed.

The data rates on this camera would work with CFast 2.0, but they went with CFexpress perhaps to save some space? Unknown. Type B much like all of this style of media has been marketed with the burst read/writes primarily, but as ProGrade Type B announced showed there were two classes of Type B, one that can do sustained 1300MB/s and the other between 100-400MB/s depending on the card capacity. I'll eventually hit up Canon to hear the journey.

Just so people know what's going on. I've been tracking CFexpress for a long, long time and closely watching the development. The target is moving quickly mainly due to 3 different physical media dimensions which also impact performance.

The concept with CFexpress is:
    - Type A - Form Factor = 20x28x2.8mm, Potential max read/write 1000MB/s (that peak never really happened)
    - Type B - Form Factor = 38.5x29.8x3.8mm, Potential max read/write 2000MB/s (currently announced media is around 1400-1700MB/s that can do that, there are slower cards too)
    - Type C - Form Factor = 54x74x4.8mm, Potential max read/write 4000MB/s

A few things to comment on here. Type B is apparently landing Q4/Q1 of 2019/2020 based on everything I can gather. This was unknown industry wide outside of the announcements this week, though certainly announced much earlier on in 2019. Sony's XQD cards are the Type B form factor.

CFast 2.0 cards are 42.8x36.4x3.3mm. Pretty close to the size of Type B CFexpress. CFexpress is PCIe based. Type B uses two lanes, Type C uses four lanes, and there's been no hint of a full blown 8 lane card yet (Type D?). Type C, which nobody has at the moment nor is anybody making announcements, is significantly larger than the Type B spec. I'm beginning to think Type C is being pushed to end of 2020 or maybe even 2021 now.

Getting back to Komodo, I think it depends. There's a lot of CFast 2.0 media options and it appears the data rates needed happen within the boundaries of CFast 2.0. This new Canon camera also happens within the boundaries of CFast 2.0, though they said Canon Raw Lite exceeds the limits of CFast 2.0 (the best CFast 2.0 media handles sustained 490MB/s and as far as I can tell this camera isn't writing at that speed), but Canon has been able to go with CFexpress Type B. Maybe it is a chunkier data rate, but up until now Canon Raw Lite has been around a 3:1 through 5:1 compressed format, I suspect it still is however.

If I was a guessing man, I'd be nearly certain they are exploring CFexpress for their upcoming 8K camera (which very much needs an internal recording option) and the side development here is the C500 MK II also gets the hardware. In for a penny, in for a pound. Now numerous questions are opened up about things like their EF or R series DSLRs and Mirrrorless cameras potentially getting this media slot in the future.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

One thing I do like about this camera is the ability to have 4 XLR inputs.
    It helps with certain shoot situations and I’ve used this ability several times on my Red One MX.

Brian Timmons
    BRITIM/MEDIA

I want that 5-axis image stabilizer!
    Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Justin McAleece
    Sigma Pro Primes and Video Production
    Justin at BLAREMedia dot net

6. #16 Canon C500 Mark II Accessory Pricing Texas Media Systems 

No shooting possible with the basic body since there is no lens mount. Jeez what a bunch of losers you are Canon ...the sleazy trick
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment

REDuser Sponsor
    The Canon C500 Mark II body includes an EF Mount with the $15,999 body.

Locking EF & Locking PL Mounts are optional.

Canon PM-V1 PL Mount Kit 3936C001 $1,599

Canon CM-V1 EF Cinema Lock Mount Kit 3937C001 $2,199

Quote Originally Posted by Jacek Zakowicz View Post
    No shooting possible with the basic body since there is no lens mount. Jeez what a bunch of losers you are Canon ...the sleazy trick

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Nixon View Post
    The Canon C500 Mark II body includes an EF Mount with the $15,999 body.

Locking EF & Locking PL Mounts are optional.

Canon PM-V1 PL Mount Kit 3936C001 $1,599

Canon CM-V1 EF Cinema Lock Mount Kit 3937C001 $2,199
    Did not know that. I take it back. Canon has my respect again. Thank you for clarifying that Terry!!!
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment

Would be interesting to see how this affects the prices of new and used C200/C300II