Thread: Anybody watch Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance yet?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Anybody watch Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance yet? 
    I saw a thread a few weeks ago asking about what ever happened to the Dragon VV sensors and what they were used on but I can't find it now. Well, Dark Crystal was fully on Dragon VV with one shot on an A7s underwater.

We also combined it with the KipperTie Gold 1 OLPF, we tested a few in prep and Erik loved the gold.
    Other notable bits of kit were the OMOD Command+, Viper Wireless Video (which was hands down the best wireless video transmitter I've worked with) and some lovely Cooke Anamorphics!

I know not many people had access to that camera so if you're interested in how that sensor looked give those 10 episodes a watch ;) Would also be interested to see what you guys think, as I come from an incredibly bias point of view having worked on that job for 11 months.

(Ive got plenty way more impressive photos of the kit on ser but don't want to spoil anything as the show is still fresh out the gate)
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm5401988/

Ex- RED Dragon / Epic Owner

I havent watched it yet but am dying to, what was your position on the show? Also, how'd you shoot cooke anamorphics on a full frame camera, is there an anamorphic crop mode? what was the finished format? thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jordan levy View Post
    I havent watched it yet but am dying to, what was your position on the show? Also, how'd you shoot cooke anamorphics on a full frame camera, is there an anamorphic crop mode? what was the finished format? thanks!
    I was the DIT Assistant (Ep 1 to 7) then the DIT for the final block of the show(Ep 8 to 10). We had a 4K 1:1 ANA mode built for us that was 4320x4320 and then had a 95% extraction. I forget the final delivery format as that was so long ago now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Petts View Post
    I was the DIT Assistant (Ep 1 to 7) then the DIT for the final block of the show(Ep 8 to 10). We had a 4K 1:1 ANA mode built for us that was 4320x4320 and then had a 95% extraction. I forget the final delivery format as that was so long ago now.
    very cool, thank you!

I love the visuals on this show, thanks much for the behind the scene info!

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickFaith View Post
    I love the visuals on this show, thanks much for the behind the scene info!
    Erik and Andy (Gaffer) did an incredible job. The amount of effort that went into each setup was amazing, they had very limited time on set as we shot so fast, so the prep was absolutely vital.

I also don't think unless people watch the BTS or any delve into further info about the show that Louis (Director) was operating alongside Erik and Louis basically wore the Steadicam the entire show, he put it on at 8AM and didn't take it off again basically until wrap each day a very unique combo to have Dir and DoP both on cameras at the same time but it paid off very well.

Erik and Andy (Gaffer) did an incredible job. The amount of effort that went into each setup was amazing, they had very limited time on set as we shot so fast, so the prep was absolutely vital.

I also don't think unless people watch the BTS or any delve into further info about the show that Louis (Director) was operating alongside Erik and Louis basically wore the Steadicam the entire show, he put it on at 8AM and didn't take it off again basically until wrap each day a very unique combo to have Dir and DoP both on cameras at the same time but it paid off very well.
    The camera follows the actors conversation really well, just like live action. I was wondering what the steadicam operator heard while the puppet mouths were moving as it seems perfectly synced with camera movement. For example did dialog sound come from the puppet or was there a com system(audio headphones for the camera operator)? Btw the chinese voice actors are doing an excellent job (I am watching it in chinese).

I don't think there could have been a more ideal show for our Gold OLPF - a great fit with the very accomplished and distinctive aesthetic.
    KipperTie - Authorised RED Rental, Pinewood Studios, UK
    Ready to hire: Monstro 8K VV | Gemini 5K | Helium Monochrome 8K
    Check out our Revolva ND solution, OLPFs and other products

A little bit more info here:

https://filmmakermagazine.com/108151...of-resistance/

"Louis had done some tests with the Helium, Monstro and Dragon sensors. We thought the Dragon looked better than the Helium and Monstro, which are actually newer sensors. We asked Red if they could make us a square sensor, basically a 4K square—4K wide and 4K high. Then we stretched that out to our 2.1 ratio [after the anamorphic unsqueezing]. We did end up cropping slightly further to a 2.2:1 ratio."

Jonathan what frame rate did you guys shoot at?
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv