Thread: Zacuto Kameleon EVF - Refresh issues?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Zacuto Kameleon EVF - Refresh issues? 
    Hey all! I've been testing a Zacuto Kameleon EVF with a Gemini 5k and while the image is pretty fantastic as a static shot, there seems to be judder on panning shots. Can anyone give some insight into what is going on here? I don't have a Red EVF to compare OLED technology. There seems to be either ghosting or shearing of the image on pans.

- It doesn't matter if I connect HDMI or SDI
    - It doesn't matter if I change output frame rates 24-60 Hz (24 fps project rate)
    - I've had a Sony A6300 connected with HDMI and the issue persists

Is this just a function of OLED? Is this a bad unit? Is it just a crappy product?

Thanks friends!

It’s not the OLED tech itself, I have several OLED monitors and VF’s. See if there is a menu adjustment in the Zacuto. One of my monitors is a smallHD Focus OLED and it has a setting in it to accommodate to properly display different signals. I normally shoot 23.98, but had to do a “PAL”(25P) shoot on my F55 and the image was tearing whenever I moved. Switched the setting and it was rock solid. I believe smallHD calls it “Bob” and “Weave” or something like that. I have no idea what the Zacuto would be, because I don’t think my Graticle has a similar function.

I Don't see this probleme here. I tested one with 25p frame rate.

Thanks for the replies, guys!
    Christopher - I did look for a frame rate setting, but it seemed like the unit was autodetecting what was being fed it.

Patrick - glad to hear it's not a function of the unit. Maybe I just have a bad copy or are otherwise doing something wrong. Zacuto tech support finally got back to me - hopefully they will bring some joy into the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Ryan View Post
    Thanks for the replies, guys!
    Christopher - I did look for a frame rate setting, but it seemed like the unit was autodetecting what was being fed it.

Patrick - glad to hear it's not a function of the unit. Maybe I just have a bad copy or are otherwise doing something wrong. Zacuto tech support finally got back to me - hopefully they will bring some joy into the situation.
    It wasn't for frame rates, per se. I believe it is actually for progressive and interlaced signals. I think the F55 spits 23.98 out as PsF which is seen as interlace instead of a true progressive signal, which is probably why I had to switch the setting when I went from 23.98 to 25P.

I've done more testing with this, and I think it's my eyes - I am very sensitive to refresh rates. I tested it on a C300 mkII and noticed similar behaviour with the built in EVF on that camera. I guess having the screen so close to my eye with no ambient light exacerbates the issue. I don't notice it on field monitors or the red/canon LCDs. DLP projectors and LED xmas lights (while driving) also drive me crazy. o__o

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Ryan View Post
    I've done more testing with this, and I think it's my eyes - I am very sensitive to refresh rates. I tested it on a C300 mkII and noticed similar behaviour with the built in EVF on that camera. I guess having the screen so close to my eye with no ambient light exacerbates the issue. I don't notice it on field monitors or the red/canon LCDs. DLP projectors and LED xmas lights (while driving) also drive me crazy. o__o
    You are a 100hz guy, the evolution of Homo sapiens+ ;-)