Thread: WHICH IS THE BEST USED CAMERA INVESTMENT UNDER $10000 ? -Newbie

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Remember, F5 has rolling shutter and the F55 doesn't. Between all of those cameras, I would say the Epic MX, F55, or Varicam LT would be great cinematic options but if you intend to rent than a C300 Mark II would be a great choice from what I hear. I'm just now filming final reshoots for my first feature using a RED One MX so the Epic MX can definitely hold its own, however, with RED no longer servicing the camera and Blackmagic throwing the grenade in the room with the Blackmagic Pocket 4K and now 6K, I don't think it's the best investment anymore, especially since we've been using the Pocket 4K in spots for the reshoots too! If I were wanting to buy now then it really comes down to other things like low light capability and high speed frame rates as there's some shots I want to film now that I just don't have the exact camera to pull things off with perfectly but I can get close enough with the 2K 120fps on the RED One MX. Think about those aspects as well before deciding as that's the stuff that will actually come back around later when you aren't expecting it.

Yes Zach, and the F55 is just outside of my budget. I will be happy to have it though. Should I be concerned with high hours on Cameras?
    Last edited by Takor Arrey; 08-25-2019 at 06:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zack Birlew View Post
    Remember, F5 has rolling shutter and the F55 doesn't. Between all of those cameras, I would say the Epic MX, F55, or Varicam LT would be great cinematic options but if you intend to rent than a C300 Mark II would be a great choice from what I hear. I'm just now filming final reshoots for my first feature using a RED One MX so the Epic MX can definitely hold its own, however, with RED no longer servicing the camera and Blackmagic throwing the grenade in the room with the Blackmagic Pocket 4K and now 6K, I don't think it's the best investment anymore, especially since we've been using the Pocket 4K in spots for the reshoots too! If I were wanting to buy now then it really comes down to other things like low light capability and high speed frame rates as there's some shots I want to film now that I just don't have the exact camera to pull things off with perfectly but I can get close enough with the 2K 120fps on the RED One MX. Think about those aspects as well before deciding as that's the stuff that will actually come back around later when you aren't expecting it.
    The MX and Varicam have rolling shutter, too, though, and no less than the F5. And the F5 is 2/3 stop slower than the F55 and in my experience has murky shadows and the raw format is kind of weird to work with, wrapped up in an MXF I think.

Between the F55 and Varicam LT I personally much prefer the LT's image, but both are nice for being "Netflix approved" if that matters. Both the F55 and F5 I like just fine if you over expose them a stop and the FS7 I don't think is much different. C300 Mk II is fine, too. Strong technically but lack of 4k/60p will frustrate some and the ergonomics are divisive.

IMO you're overrating the MX. Yes, the images can look great (Fincher shot incredible stuff with it, though that was all denoised at Lowry I believe) but that camera already had less dynamic range than a C300 and almost two stops less than a Sony F3. No low light ability to speak of past maybe 1600 ISO, less than Sony's base ISO. It simply can't compete on technicalities with the current generation of anything. Regardless, it seems IPP2 redeems it for "look" and helps a bit technically, so I don't think anyone shooting with one is missing out on much (other than low light, but 800 ISO is enough for a lot of traditional film work) but I could never recommend that camera at $10k when it's behind everything else in virtually every respect.

Anyhow I don't think any of these cameras makes sense to buy without experience with all of them, but on the other hand they're all similar enough (excepting the MX and Alexa are a little different) that it doesn't much matter. I mean you can just buy something (F5 is a fine choice imo) and if it works for you it works for you if it doesn't buy something else. I just don't think anyone here, myself included, will have a good answer to so broad a question.

High hours are an iffy thing but I think our RED One MX had about 1,000-1,500 or so hours and it’s been fine. These cameras are meant to be workhorses so I think high hours shouldn’t be too much of a concern and really comes down to taste and preference. To put it simply, what’s a high number for you in terms of hours? That number will help narrow down the selection. Also, I suppose if budget is limited then, yes, the F55 would be out of the running, much like it is for me at the moment, and like others have said, the cheaper FS7 shouldn’t be too far off as alternative.

Yup.. my Scarlet-W already have 2100+ hours and it's still producing stellar images just like when I first bought it in 2017.. they are true workhorses!
    SCARLET-W #004760

Red Epic Dragon with LLO OLPF. See if you can find one. Should be on the limit of your budget. But to this day still one of the best images available. And support equipment, redvolt system in sidehandle for lightweight portability, media and everything go for much cheaper nowadays. Can go for the bigger cards no problem.
    Sérgio Perez

Weapon Monstro #03294 "Amochai" in Macau

Video Director/Creative/Producer

http://vimeo.com/user1503556

https://www.youtube.com/user/spzprod..._as=subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Sergio Perez View Post
    Red Epic Dragon with LLO OLPF. See if you can find one. Should be on the limit of your budget. But to this day still one of the best images available. And support equipment, redvolt system in sidehandle for lightweight portability, media and everything go for much cheaper nowadays. Can go for the bigger cards no problem.
    And Sony may be coming out with a new 6K Camera - Sony FX9. I'm really tempted to hold off and see what September brings.

Quote Originally Posted by Audy Erel View Post
    Yup.. my Scarlet-W already have 2100+ hours and it's still producing stellar images just like when I first bought it in 2017.. they are true workhorses!
    Hi Audy, how much will it cost me to get your kit in this day and age?

Quote Originally Posted by Zack Birlew View Post
    High hours are an iffy thing but I think our RED One MX had about 1,000-1,500 or so hours and it’s been fine. These cameras are meant to be workhorses so I think high hours shouldn’t be too much of a concern and really comes down to taste and preference. To put it simply, what’s a high number for you in terms of hours? That number will help narrow down the selection. Also, I suppose if budget is limited then, yes, the F55 would be out of the running, much like it is for me at the moment, and like others have said, the cheaper FS7 shouldn’t be too far off as alternative.
    High numbers is anything over 1000hrs. Sony may also be announcing a new camera this September according to Sonyalpharumors. I'm hoping that will help reduce the prices of their older cameras.

I bought a used Arri Alexa XT from a UK shop and paid less than 1k$ for an Arri Service Certificate (Arri checked and calibrated the camera as if it were new out of the factory). I owned Reds and a Varicam LT but this camera is in another league, it even looks sharper than my previous cams despite the 2.8/3.4k. Used full kits are everywhere now for a good price.