Thread: WHICH IS THE BEST USED CAMERA INVESTMENT UNDER $10000 ? -Newbie

Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash Worth View Post
    More people have operated these cameras than any other pro making money so there's that.
    Never for the ergonomics but rather, despite them. And not always by choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Takor Arrey View Post
    Hi Audy, how much will it cost me to get your kit in this day and age?
    It depends on the accessory, but the Scarlet-W body only price is around $8000-$8500 with low hours.. Of course we are going to need all the necessary kit to make it work and it will easily rise to beyond $10K. I see one complete set for sale on the FB group for $15K, others maybe lower.
    SCARLET-W #004760

Dear Takor,

Four questions :

1. If you were to define your style now or interest now as a cinematographer - what are your precepts / main interests ?

2. Would you do your own post production? If so, what kind of computer are you using ?

3. If you didn’t make any ROI inside a year, with a 10k spend , would it harm your lifestyle?

4. Who is your existing potential client base? Who is your desired client base and what are their financial guide rails / needs per project ?

Later, I can answer for you these same questions for me currently, and me 10 years ago - what I might consider a strong case study of transition.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kanes View Post
    Dear Takor,

Four questions :

1. If you were to define your style now or interest now as a cinematographer - what are your precepts / main interests ?

2. Would you do your own post production? If so, what kind of computer are you using ?

3. If you didnít make any ROI inside a year, with a 10k spend , would it harm your lifestyle?

4. Who is your existing potential client base? Who is your desired client base and what are their financial guide rails / needs per project ?

Later, I can answer for you these same questions for me currently, and me 10 years ago - what I might consider a strong case study of transition.
    Four questions :

I like documentary type projects and reality. But my projects are all geared towards enhancing reputations and gaining attention.

I would normally hire an editor buddy for paid projects, but I am somewhat familiar with the editing process and will edit my personal hobby projects.
    I will be using an Apple MacBook Pro.

3. If you didnít make any ROI inside a year, with a 10k spend , would it harm your lifestyle?

If I did not make any ROI It will be disappointing, since I am looking to make it my full time bread/butter.

Potential client base are investor/Inventors and some small businesses looking to expand, create product/brand awareness, etc. I want to stay along this alley for a long time. These are usually eerily concerned about their reputation and would go the extra planet to protect it. And I usually do not bill them per video, I bill per project with video being a part of the package.

Later, I can answer for you these same questions for me currently, and me 10 years ago - what I might consider a strong case study of transition.[/QUOTE]

Thank you Sabyasachi Patra, your suggestion is reasonable.

It is amazing how fast the price changes , once you begin to accessorize some of these high end cameras. I think the more modular they make them, the more expensive they are to accessorize .

Thank you Sabyasachi Patra, your suggestion is reasonable.

It is amazing how fast the price changes , once you begin to accessorize some of these high end cameras. I think the more modular they make them, the more expensive they are to accessorize .
    which is why I noted to ensure you understand which AKS you need for either your clients or your shooting style :)

don't get big eyes looking at the camera brain (especially with RED) - you need to factor in the AKS. Other cams have more functionality directly in the body. Another issue on older cams can be finding EOL AKS on the used market.

Another thing to consider in general is the following:

cameras come and go, especially nowadays. Lenses stay with you usually much longer. Other equipment as well: lights, stands, audio etc. With audio you may get decades out of your investment.

So you may want to consider where to put your money in, especially if your stuff ends up on the web in 1080p compressed, where you could argue after Youtube squeezed the juice out of it, most cams look closer to each other (if exposed properly), so there may not be that much of an advantage investing more money in a more expensive camera and going cheap on other stuff (audio etc).

AD

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Deckard View Post
    which is why I noted to ensure you understand which AKS you need for either your clients or your shooting style :)

don't get big eyes looking at the camera brain (especially with RED) - you need to factor in the AKS. Other cams have more functionality directly in the body. Another issue on older cams can be finding EOL AKS on the used market.

Another thing to consider in general is the following:

cameras come and go, especially nowadays. Lenses stay with you usually much longer. Other equipment as well: lights, stands, audio etc. With audio you may get decades out of your investment.

So you may want to consider where to put your money in, especially if your stuff ends up on the web in 1080p compressed, where you could argue after Youtube squeezed the juice out of it, most cams look closer to each other (if exposed properly), so there may not be that much of an advantage investing more money in a more expensive camera and going cheap on other stuff (audio etc).

AD

THANKS for the explanation. Please sincerely do not know what AKS means. Thanks

Please sincerely do not know what AKS means. Thanks
    AKS = Accessories, just a short hand for it.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

LOL, Allen, if I'm really trying to be frugal, $10k can get me very far for a start, and like you said, I can always upgrade as I go. What I am getting from this discussion is to throw away my sentiments about any specific camera and buy the most practical entry level camera out there, invest in better glass and trust that 1080p will do for now.

LOL, Allen, if I'm really trying to be frugal, $10k can get me very far for a start, and like you said, I can always upgrade as I go. What I am getting from this discussion is to throw away my sentiments about any specific camera and buy the most practical entry level camera out there, invest in better glass and trust that 1080p will do for now.
    :)

there's never enough money, as there's always something "better"

but just to extend one of my other posts: there's tripods, fluid heads etc that will last you a decade or more - well worth investing properly into that

isn't the Komodo in your price range ? not sure if it is with AKS though

AD