Thread: Need advice, wide angle lens

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Need advice, wide angle lens 
    Read for weeks, threads here on RedUser, other forums, blogs, videos, you get it.

I got the Zeiss Otus lineup and am really happy with it, also use some Canon tele glass, so im standing by my EF-mount.

I need a good wide angle lens that won´t look like crap compared to the Otus glass.

Found this: http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...-Weapon-6K-WTF

The distagon is a strong contender, im a little curious about the Zeiss CP3 but having a hard time finding anything about them.

Thinking of going for a 15mm but been looking at 18mm as well, had a Zeiss distagon 15 *T 2.8 ZE that I bought from a store selling used glass, unfortunately it makes a click sound when focusing and rattles when beeing shaked. Been in contact with Zeiss and its not good, so I will not keep it.

Big thanks for your time and help!
    Last edited by Johnny Hurberg; 08-20-2019 at 10:45 AM.

Sounds like you're on EF, in this specific case I'd aim towards the Sigma Art Series. Only thing that comes close to Otus in those mounts basically and a somewhat similar look.

If you're aiming at ultra-wide like that though, speed is going to be the tough one. The newer Zeiss Milvus 15mm is pretty good. Sigma 14mm is also pretty good. If you're looking for slightly wider and don't mind breathing, maybe the Laowa 12mm.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Thanks Phil!

Been looking at your SALT VV, what is your opinion on the Zeiss CP3 18mm? I thought it looked really good, handling the corners pretty sweet.

CP.3's main strength is their size and weight, they are the lightest PL mount stuff out there that covers FF35/VV. The 18mm is a newer design and pretty good actually. The biggest issue with the wider CP.3s is the speed. Take like the Sigma 20mm T1.5, it's 3.7lbs, the CP.3 18mm T2.9 is 1.9lbs and about two stops slower.

But that's one of those pros and cons sort of things. Like if I was primarily shooting gimbal, the CP.3 is sort of a no brainer. If I needed T1.5 or the ability to see into the dark, the Sigma is a better way to go in this case. And I happily use heavier glass than that even.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

I really like my Zeiss CP.2 15mm T2.9. The current CP.3 version is the same but they have the optional eXtended Data stuff with the CP.3 lenses. The new CP.3 variant of their 18mm is also really good at T2.9. Previous CP.2 and earlier 18mm offerings were mediocre at best. If you want to go faster than T2.9 then like Phil says there’s the Sigma 20mm. Schneider offers their Xenon FF 18mm lens with a T2.4 aperture. I had the Xenon primes for a while but ultimately had to cut down my glass library and let them go as the 18mm was long delayed, therefore don’t have much experience with their 18mm...
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

Really into the CP3 18, think I will go for it!

Good points in the versatility of form factor of the CP3´s, really compact, light and short. Will probably go for the Duclos CineMod with 95mm front for the Otus glass as well, Misfit Atom and a small V-lock.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Wow, thats one freaky lens!

I've been using the Sigma ART series. The 20mm is a fast (f/1.4), full frame prime. I also use the Sigma ART 24-35 f/2. These are some of the highest quality lenses I've ever used. Sigma also has a full-frame prime, 14mm ART, with a f/1.8.

The Crossing Trailer for upcoming acid western inspired by the world of Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian.
    https://vimeo.com/105448633

The Lonely Moan
    http://vimeo.com/33643688

Dead Lonesome A film about Ghost Towns and the Mystique of the Western Landscape filmed in 35mm. http://vimeo.com/6874360

Heard and read lots of good things about Sigma ART, feels a little strange for middle age men like myself coming from times when Sigma was the "budget" alternative. But looking at results and prices climbing things are changing like everything else in the world.

I made the dicision and ordered the Zeiss CP3 18 2.9 EF, looking forward getting this glass!