Thread: For increased realism, what's more important: Higher Resolution or Frame Rate?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 For increased realism, what's more important: Higher Resolution or Frame Rate? 
    Hi. To achieve max realism, would you choose higher resolution (4K over 1080) or choose higher frame rate (60P over 30P)? Or put another way, if the final delivery is 4K 60P what's easier to to get a better result in post, upscaling or frame interpolating? Unfortunately I'm limited to cameras that only do 4K/30P or 1080/60P. The shooting is outdoors, on boat, POV, moving people, some on/under water.
    Last edited by David Zhang; 08-19-2019 at 07:09 PM.

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    That is a good question. I'm going to have to say 60fps over 4K on this one, even though I don't like high frame rates. You want realism, so you're probably going to have to go for that, if you are the one making the decision.

OTOH, there's no reason why you can't shoot 4K at 30fps, at a narrower shutter angle, and interpolate frames. I cannot say anything about that as I have no experience with that technique, but wait for some advice. Also, why not do some test shooting, if you have the cameras handy?
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | Martini Ultra (blog)

I can't stand HFR, hate it with passion. It always looks like cheap BBC TV production. Resolution also only goes so far before you reach diminishing returns. To me it's the HDR, that adds the most of realism.
    And did I mention, that I hate HFR?
    Jake Blackstone
    Colorist
    Los Angeles
    MOD Color Web Site
    Demo Reel

If you want it to look like shitty video and think that is what realism is looking like then go high framerate. Personally i cant stand it and would avoid it as far as possible.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame / VFX / Motion capture / Monstro

If there only was an variable fps format...I do love the look of 25/24p when the camera have a slow pace and the action to. But I hate long action sequence of motionblur. On the flip side I prrsonal like slower cameras anyway which is fine at 25p.

If your final delivery has to be in 60p, I choose that before 4k. But is it a reason to use 60p on it on the first place? One benefit of 24/25p delivery is the ability to overcrank. But I guess it will not be used in this project anyway as it screams fiction.
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069

Quote Originally Posted by David Zhang View Post
    Hi. To achieve max realism, would you choose higher resolution (4K over 1080) or choose higher frame rate (60P over 30P)? Or put another way, if the final delivery is 4K 60P what's easier to to get a better result in post, upscaling or frame interpolating? Unfortunately I'm limited to cameras that only do 4K/30P or 1080/60P. The shooting is outdoors, on boat, POV, moving people, some on/under water.
    Try a VR headset and you know it soon enough.

Today, 24 fps is an artistic choice.

Quote Originally Posted by jake blackstone View Post
    It always looks like cheap BBC TV production.
    Depends on the content type.
    Fiction yes, nature no.

Resolution also only goes so far before you reach diminishing returns.
    Because the framerate is insufficient.
    And depends on FOV and display media.

To me it's the HDR, that adds the most of realism.
    At the cost of slamming the eyes and brain.
    http://i68.tinypic.com/drcb4y.jpg

Analog > Camera feel optimization http://omeneo.com
    Digital > Camera performance optimization http://omeneo.com/primers

imdb

"Como delfines en el fondo del oceano
    volamos por el universo incentivados por la esperanza"

"L'esperanza", Sven Väth
    "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards"
    Jung/ Carol

Some key questions:

What are you delivering to? Broadcast, Internet/Social Media?

Is 4K a necessary spec for your work?

Are you shooting fiction, or documentary? Handheld, or Tripod?

The answer to these questions will lead you to the choice you're after.

60fps equals the "news" or "old soap opera" TV look. Its smooth, but it also amplifies everything you see on screen:the camera movement, the production value of the scenery becomes much more apparent, the acting of the actors much more unforgiving.

There are many examples of films aiming for "realism" that are actually shot at 25/24fps. Dogma style shooting, Cinema Veritee from the French back in the 60'ies, handheld, natural lighting or less lighting as possible, location sound, editing style, acting and overall script and dialogue approach... All these can give a more realistic and convincing film that just shooting 60fps.

The Frame rate choice implies a completely different approach to everything else. So choose wisely! Personally, I would choose 25/24fps 4K.
    Sérgio Perez

Weapon Monstro #03294 "Amochai" in Macau

Video Director/Creative/Producer

http://vimeo.com/user1503556

https://www.youtube.com/user/spzprod..._as=subscriber

What are the recording codec options on your cameras?

Whichever way you choose, Acrovid Interlink is a modest cost utility that supports high quality scaling and frame rate interpolation transcodes. Transcoding camera originals to Prores, Cineform, or Avid DNXHD/HR high quality 10 bit 4:2:2 intraframe DI format for editing depending on your post platform will improve your delivery quality quite a bit compared to typical AVC camera originals.

I’m on a PC platform, so I have gotten in the habit of transcoding EVERYTHING regardless of original source to high quality 10bit 4:2:2 Cineform at delivery format and frame rate with 48kHz/24bit audio prior to editing. Makes editing much more efficient and less problematic. Prores is the logical choice for Mac. You only need to go to 10 bit or higher 4:4:4:4 DI if you plan on heavy compositing or graphics as part of finishing.

I’d take the low frame rate film aesthetic advice with a grain of salt. Younger audiences raised on TV, Youtube and video games seem to prefer the HFR aesthetic. It is a creative choice.

More resolution takes realism up a notch. That said, IMO, HFR sends the "realism" signal in a more noticeable way.

Cheers - #19