Thread: Mindhunter season 2

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Green View Post
    I’ve seen posts from Eric Messerschmidt’s IG tagging Helium 8k for season 2, but unlike season 1’s Leica glass, it looks like they moved to anamorphics. Anyone have any insight on their lens choices?
    All anamorphic effects are done in post, as they were in the first season as well. Fincher shoots with a big look-around to be able to resize, split-screen and stabilize. The anamorphic effects are done by distorting the image, adding edge chromatic aberrations and lens flares.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

Are the Xenomorphs Helium or dragon?

I thought they were dragon. Unless they are changeable... it is a custom camera afterall....
    Director Of Photography
    RED Weapon Helium - Gemini
    --Official Sigma Pro--
    www.TimurCivan.com
    Timurcivan@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Timur Civan View Post
    Are the Xenomorphs Helium or dragon?

I thought they were dragon. Unless they are changeable... it is a custom camera afterall....
    They made a Mark 2 version that is Helium.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Be1oVY7D..._web_copy_link

@emesserschmidt:
    A little late-night Xenomorph Mk2 Firmware Testing
    #xenomorph #mindhunterS2 #netflix #ACES #reddigitalcinema #helium #8k #paralinxtomahawk2 #leader #zaxcom #rtmotion #leica #r3d #foolcontrol @instajarred @reddigitalcinema @cwsonderoptic @paralinx @rtmotion

has anybody else noticed the terrible blue clipping in shadows in episode 3, never seen that on a helium sensor, wondering if its Netflix's compression..?

Some of the flares almost looked in-camera, streak filters. Cop red & blues at night specifically I thought. I overall loved the show and it's look, but think the real subtlety and nuance of the colors had to have been in the DI. Phenomenal work there. I can't believe they added distortion to simulate anamorphic. I definitely noticed some bowed vertical lines in doorframes, etc. So it was at least a convincing post-distortion that had me wondering if they were actually using anamorphic for some setups.
    - Travis MacRitchie - Epic Dragon, Scarlet Dragon, Alexa, Alexa Mini, Amira, C-300 Mk II - Super Baltars, Fujinon Cabrio 19-90mm, Master Primses, Ultra Primes, KOWA Anamorphics, Zeiss Compact Primes, Schneider Cine-Xenar III, Zeiss Mk. III Superspeeds, Angenieux Optimo Zooms 16-40, 30-76, 25-250mm
    BrainBoxCameras.com
    310-773-4823
    4K Camera Rentals / Director of Photography

The B-cam operator told me it was shot using Summilux-C lenses, although he mentioned Red Dragon as the camera?

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis MacRitchie View Post
    Some of the flares almost looked in-camera, streak filters. Cop red & blues at night specifically I thought.
    Generating fake flares isn't especially hard. I thought the flares of the police lights were a bit over the top though, mostly in luminance. Such flares usually don't become that harsh in real anamorphics if the coating isn't made or removed on very special glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie A View Post
    The B-cam operator told me it was shot using Summilux-C lenses, although he mentioned Red Dragon as the camera?
    Fincher have shot with the Summiluxes since Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Don't think he'll change that before going full frame. Old Xenomorphs were Dragon 6K sensor, previous season shot on that. VFX shots (backgrounds for green screens in cars and elsewhere) were shot on regular Dragons put in an array to capture 180 degree backgrounds.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    Fincher have shot with the Summiluxes since Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.
    I'll ping Jeff to confirm, but I'm 100% sure GWTDT was Master Primes. Summilux-Cs came later for Gone Girl, then pretty much everything after that. More of timeline issue there than anything. House of Cards was MPs for S1, don't recall if they changed up or not for later seasons.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Really odd and interesting aesthetic to add the post fx to the summilux-c's.

Another thing that surprises me is how hot the exteriors were in some scenes, is this an HDR related choice?

Beatifully shot show.
    Weapon/ Ultra primes
    https://bh264.sqsp.com/

Gone Girl was done with Leica Summilux-C.

Social Network and GWTDT were ARRI Master Primes.

https://britishcinematographer.co.uk...girl%E2%80%A8/