Thread: Canon FD vs K35

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacek Zakowicz View Post
    It looks like the K35 85mm lens has the very common Thorium element "browning/yellowing" issue- hence the color shift. Almost like putting 81/85 orange filter. The FD apparently does not have this problem and it is faster and more neutral as the result- that's what we are seeing- This is definitely not intentional on the 85mm K35- this is a flaw in the glass related to the age of the glass. If you look through the K35 at a white card it would appear beige/brown tinted- make no mistake- not a good thing. I think the FD would be a better choice optically- if nothing else to get more light through it and easier color correction/coloring on the more neutral image...
    BTW I also see this issue on the 35mm K35s and sometimes the 55mm

I have a couple of FL lenses (85 f1.8 and a 58 f1.2) and they have a strong warm colour on the rear element. Do you know if there is a way of fixing this colouring? I thought I had heard of exposing it to UV light , or something like that??

Cheers Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Karim D. Ghantous View Post
    I don't suppose you are willing to say how much you paid for that set?
    Thanks!! The official price for the set seems to be $40,740 - not sure what the price would be if you supply your own glass or if you'd upgrade from older GL rehouses.

http://www.glcinemod.com/
    https://cinemaglass.com/product/g-l-...intage-fd-set/

Cheers!
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    timsessler.com & brooklynaerials.com | RED Monstro 8K VV

Recommend trying a strong UV lamp (with protective eye covering over the unit and a cooling fan) to try to activate thoriated elements. Nail UV curing stations with full on time setting can possibly be a good choice.

I have tried several times with several different uv lights for days at the time. Never made any significant difference on any Cooke or k35 lens . I concluded this UV 'miracle cure ' is just another urban legend... Sorry to be a bearer of bad news...
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment

I’ve had success with a cooke 50mm.

Went from brown to lightish yellow.

So not a “cure” for me per se, but an improvement. Did I take a spectrometer reading ? No - but I should have done it for better science.

I thought the change was so minor, if any, that made it insignificant. But then again- I'm not in the business of selling "hope in the bottle" ;-)
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment

In my experience, UV light on lenses is more for treating fungus on internal elements.

It won't get rid of it, but it can sometimes stop the fungus growing any further.

Just got a mail. from Eastern Enterprises. My set is in the owen and I also get the replaced iris on these I guess something similar in that regard as to what GL does. Will have:

Previously rehoused by Zero. FD 14mm that now will get a better housing and will be opened up the front hood to cover Monstro without any vingenting.
    FD 24mm f/1.4 S.S.C.
    FD 35mm
    FD 55mm
    FD 85mm 1.2L
    FD 100mm
    FD 135mm f2
    FD 180mm An old NIKKOR BNC-R superspeed, that I PL mounted my self long ago. This one will be completely rebuilt will get reversed focus better PL mount and same housing as the rest. I added it in there as its a really nice lens for the given focal length.

Also asked to get them all, except the 14mm, with front threads for screw on filters.

Been waiting I think soon 3 years for these so cant wait to get them and I hope my wife does not kill me when they get here... :)
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame / VFX / Motion capture / Monstro

That looks interesting!
    Whats the 18mm 1.5 . that they list under FDs? http://easternenterprises.biz/canon-lenses/

What fronts are you going with?
    The old MK3 GL Optics FDs were 77mm and even 55 didn't cover VV. The new ones are much larger - they made me some 95mm step-down rings but they will reduce the close focus. I'd definitely be careful with permanent filter threads that might reduce your VV coverage.

Also the 24mm does not fully cover - I'd say its comparable to the K35. Its a very soft vignette around it. The 14mm surprisingly seems to cover better though.
    This was the coverage of a non-rehoused 24mm FD that Nan at GL Optics shared.

Cheers!
    Tim
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    timsessler.com & brooklynaerials.com | RED Monstro 8K VV