Thread: Canon FD vs K35

Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

It's actually pretty invisible until you shine light through it, but I suspect it would still result in contrast reduction. :/

I'm currently building a canon FD set
    I can't find the info in this thread, about the 24 mm
    The 24mm 1.4 SSC aspherical is clearly overpriced at the moment and nowhere to be found
    So i'm looking for the alternative which are the nfd 24 1.4 L or the nfd 24 f2
    Anyone has experience with these two ? I found that the f2 has a better quality overall
    The f2 can be found at 350 euros and the f1.4L is around 1800 euros...
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thibault Menu View Post
    I'm currently building a canon FD set
    I can't find the info in this thread, about the 24 mm
    The 24mm 1.4 SSC aspherical is clearly overpriced at the moment and nowhere to be found
    So i'm looking for the alternative which are the nfd 24 1.4 L or the nfd 24 f2
    Anyone has experience with these two ? I found that the f2 has a better quality overall
    The f2 can be found at 350 euros and the f1.4L is around 1800 euros...
    Thanks
    From my understanding the nFD 24mm 1.4L and S.S.C. 1.4 Aspherical should be identical in terms of performance, though admittedly I prefer the build and mechanics of the S.S.C. series lenses. No personal experience with the 24mm F2 but I've heard generally good things. I can't imagine it would be all that close to either the Aspherical or L series 1.4's though.

If you're on the lookout for a wide option that slots in slightly differently as far as your kit is concerned, the 28mm F2 S.S.C. is one of my favorite lenses to shoot with. I very rarely see them pop up on eBay, Keh, etc. though.
    Nathan Nichols
    Motion + Edit + Color
    Raleigh, NC

natype.com / @mynam3isnathan

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Nichols View Post
    From my understanding the nFD 24mm 1.4L and S.S.C. 1.4 Aspherical should be identical in terms of performance, though admittedly I prefer the build and mechanics of the S.S.C. series lenses. No personal experience with the 24mm F2 but I've heard generally good things. I can't imagine it would be all that close to either the Aspherical or L series 1.4's though.

If you're on the lookout for a wide option that slots in slightly differently as far as your kit is concerned, the 28mm F2 S.S.C. is one of my favorite lenses to shoot with. I very rarely see them pop up on eBay, Keh, etc. though.
    Yes the 28mm is nice. Between L 24mm and 24f2 I would take the L.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

is there a place to buy conversion adapter for the old breech mount cannon FDs?

I know there are a few places you can pay someone to do it for you, but I was wondering about just buying a kit.
    I have to try and change the landscape, whatever it is.
    -Robert Plant

I have been trying to cure the 55mm's yellow tint for a few days and have had some luck. Not scientific at all (auto white balance and auto exposure muddy the result), but I took photos with my iPhone of the lens on a light table. Here are the RGB values through the lens and of the light table:

Center of lens before UV:
    5000K high CRI light table:
    R 221
    G 222
    B 224

Through lens:
    R 213
    G 203
    B 175

Center of lens after UV:
    R 214
    G 216
    B 215

Through lens:
    R 203
    G 202
    B 184

"Control" (50mm Zeiss standard speed):
    R 240
    G 241
    B 245

Through lens:
    R 237
    G 243
    B 235

The green bias with the standard speed I think is due to a weird artifact with the fluorescent light cycling, which I worked to avoid with the other photos. The green value should not increase. If I were smarter, I would have taken into account the ballast's cycle.

Regardless, the UV seems to do something but the 55mm is still yellow to the eye and slower than it should be. The Canon has more advanced coatings and should not be so slow. To the eye, the Zeiss is very neutral and the Canon still warmer and darker.

But the improvement seems to be real, if modest. I would not have caught it with my eyes alone as I have been checking it every day. Going to try one of those hazardous UV fishtank lights.

Also I have a dusty 28mm f2 if anyone is interested in one cheap, I was going to return it but would sell it for what I bought it for.
    Last edited by Matt W.; 12-24-2019 at 01:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt W. View Post
    Going to try one of those hazardous UV fishtank lights.
    I’ve had good results on my 55 aspherical after some days (maybe it even was a couple of weeks) under UV light made for reptiles.. I did a before - after test and the difference was significant.
    I’ll see if I can dig up those pictures and post them here after the holidays :)

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias Erichsen View Post
    I’ve had good results on my 55 aspherical after some days (maybe it even was a couple of weeks) under UV light made for reptiles.. I did a before - after test and the difference was significant.
    I’ll see if I can dig up those pictures and post them here after the holidays :)
    Yeah, mine seems to be improving. I've gone from a UV bug zapper to a pretty crazy light that also seems to emit ozone. Still a little tint.

It's not completely better, but you can see a before and after that I think is quite convincing. I made the mistake of taking photos on a light table with a ballast that's off sync with the iPhone's shutter, so it's a bit hard to tell. Live and learn.

If anyone wants to send me a 75mm Speed Panchro I'll try it out and let you know how it works, but I might not return the Speed Panchro.

Lastly, anyone tried the 100mm f2? I might go 24mm f2, 50mm f1.2 aspherical, 100mm f2 rather than the holy trilogy because my pockets aren't so deep.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Matt W.; 12-30-2019 at 09:51 PM.

Senior Member Jens Jakob Thorsen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt W. View Post
    Apologies for spamming this thread right after I wrote I wouldn’t.

Took a closer look at my 24mm f1.4 L FD and while it looks pretty clean overall, when I shine a (ridiculously high powered) flashlight through it, it’s clear there’s some haze on one of the rear elements.

I have had similar problems with other lenses I own (Cine-Xenons, Standard Speeds, Kinoptik, Soligor) and sometimes it seems to be as easy as a quick cleaning, other times it’s de-cementing and the haze is buried in the doublet.

It often seems to be the group directly behind the aperture and sometimes is an easy fix... sometimes not.

Should I return this?
    You should return it.
    I have been through more than 60 lenses to get a large good set (20,24A,28,35,55A,85A,100,135,200) for rehouse.
    I also got a smaller set in the process(20,24A,35,55A,85A,100,200)
    As Nan at GL-Optics puts it; If you buy 8 FDs you are lucky if 2 are good.
    Jens Jakob Thorsen DFF
    Director of photography
    Denmark
    www.jensjakob.com
    mail@jensjakob.com
    Monstro VV

Quote Originally Posted by Jens Jakob Thorsen View Post
    You should return it.
    I have been through more than 60 lenses to get a large good set (20,24A,28,35,55A,85A,100,135,200) for rehouse.
    I also got a smaller set in the process(20,24A,35,55A,85A,100,200)
    As Nan at GL-Optics puts it; If you buy 8 FDs you are lucky if 2 are good.
    What do you recommend checking for? Just haze/fungus/etc. or also do you test the lenses on your camera/on a collimator?

Where do you find so many lenses? The 24mm is over $2000 on eBay now. If you have a second best version you want to sell lmk....

Also, do you know if there is any difference between the old SSC Aspherical and the new FD L? Both 85mm and 24mm exist in both trims. I've seen proof of a difference between the two, but I wonder if it's sample variation or that the older ones really were better...