Thread: Apple seeks to invalidate Red's Raw patent claims

Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jake blackstone View Post
    ProRes license
    Thanks Jake.

I'm not entirely sure of what the process entails on a financial level or for specific use cases. I think Apple looks at each one actually.

Right now I think the only thing that's clear with ProRes RAW is Apple really wants to put it into cameras or devices with cameras (more likely).
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Thanks Jake.

I'm not entirely sure of what the process entails on a financial level or for specific use cases. I think Apple looks at each one actually.

Right now I think the only thing that's clear with ProRes RAW is Apple really wants to put it into cameras or devices with cameras (more likely).
    Yes, the company seeking the license must present the request in writing where they must explain how granting the license to the manufacturer will benefit Apple.
    If it is approved, there is no charge for it.
    Jake Blackstone
    Colorist
    Los Angeles
    MOD Color Web Site
    Demo Reel

Quote Originally Posted by jake blackstone View Post
    Yes, the company seeking the license must present the request in writing where they must explain how granting the license to the manufacturer will benefit Apple.
    If it is approved, there is no charge for it.
    I remember there being a fuss about this with DJI because they charged for ProRes recording, while many people claimed that licensing prores was free.

Quote Originally Posted by Savannah Miller View Post
    I remember there being a fuss about this with DJI because they charged for ProRes recording, while many people claimed that licensing prores was free.
    Some manufacturers charge for certain features. Didn't Sony a while ago charged extra for 4k recording, where it was just a software paid upgrade? Prores license is free, if company decides to charge for it, it's their business...
    Jake Blackstone
    Colorist
    Los Angeles
    MOD Color Web Site
    Demo Reel

So, just curious because of recent announcements, did Apple win this one? Because Prores RAW is being put into everything apparently and I thought this case was the only holdup.

Quote Originally Posted by Zack Birlew View Post
    So, just curious because of recent announcements, did Apple win this one? Because Prores RAW is being put into everything apparently and I thought this case was the only holdup.
    Only in Atomos(they have a licenses agrement with RED) external recorders AFAIK.

Quote Originally Posted by Zack Birlew View Post
    It's not really in everything though is it.

I don't see many cameras other than the DJI Drone recording into ProRes RAW. I think it's still in play and a lot of the post about it are aspirational.

I was at IBC and there's giant posters for Atomos everywhere advertising ProRes RAW, but I can't figure out what cameras they're using that are available and working TODAY. I don't think there are any....? Anyone want to tell me ?

JB
    John Brawley
    Cinematographer
    London UK
    www.johnbrawley.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    I was at IBC and there's giant posters for Atomos everywhere advertising ProRes RAW, but I can't figure out what cameras they're using that are available and working TODAY. I don't think there are any....? Anyone want to tell me ?
    ProRes RAW is a very new format. Between NAB 2019 (April 2019) and September 2019, Atomos has announced support for ProRes RAW, the development of 8K Master Control Unit (June), and most recently at the end of August support for ProRes RAW for the upcoming Panasonic S1H. I believe that the Nikon Z6/Z7 are also getting support. Atomos is going hard at the format because they make the technology that is ideal for the new codec in the ways it can currently be implemented within the market likely least expensively and/or even allowed, which references back to what this thread is likely about. Getting ProRes RAW into many devices licensed via Apple, but more likely getting it really within their own devices. However, because the desire for RAW is so high I would think many cameras will support RAW out to Atomos at some point. We really just know the current intended ones.

ProRes RAW support software-side this week was just implemented/announced within Premiere Pro CC and Avid. FCPX obviously has support for it.

DJI is a big company, I suspect proper licensing channels occurred to get ProRes RAW implemented.

Regular ProRes in the big boy cameras is officially licensed technology. Two of the cameras from overseas that are in the lower budget arena are actually using the FFMPEG library, which probably only matters to a small amount of filmmakers who need footage that passes QA at studios who truly care about that, but it also hints towards some of the reasons why wider adoption has been rough and even finding retailers supporting those options is also difficult occasionally. Apple really doesn't like unofficial use of their codecs.

Very interesting times right now on the camera and codec side of things. Seeing the various strategies evolve is interesting.

But yes, ProRes RAW is brand spanking new in the field. Early days.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

And though I hate to reply after I made a post, it is interesting that FCPX doesn't support BRAW and Resolve doesn't support ProRes RAW.

I suspect eventually this will get worked out in some way. Could be a tit for tat thing, could be they just are so damn new neither has been implemented even.

But it's an interesting divide nonetheless. If Apple does want to get into the camera space, which I truly think they do considering this contest on the patent, I would guess outside things like iPhones they would make cameras in the realm of pricing tiers that BMD currently is in. That would be a company that would be rather difficult to compete with in this space if that's the case because they can "do it all".

That would mix things up a bit across not only the NLE market, but also the entry level camera market, as well as potentially having some vast ripple effects across higher end models in rather big ways.

Just theories really, but it's clear stuff is happening in the boiling and bubbling cauldron that is the motion picture camera industry.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

That will be called an Apple iCamera....lol. I can see how the Arri's and the Reds will hurriedly be packing their bags or take a number to tag along for the icamera band wagon