Thread: VAN DIEMEN is ignoring request to return our lens

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 VAN DIEMEN is ignoring request to return our lens 
    Last year, my partner and I decided to rehouse our Lomo anamorphic square and round front lenses, so we contacted Van Diemen. Christopher at Van Diemen stated the average turn around time is 90 days. So we sent our 35mm square front BAS for rehousing and 50mm and 75mm Round front anamorphic for servicing to Van Diemen in June 2018.

After 6 months and numerous attempts to contact Van Diemen, we finally heard from Christopher. We complained that lenses are needed for a shoot and we would like to cancel the servicing as it is beyond reasonable time. Upon contact, Christoper said there is an issue with their email service and there is a delay and the lenses will be ready by March 2019.

We informed Christoper our decision to cancel the rehousing because of the long delay. Christopher replied the lens cannot be returned as it is dis-assembled. He however gave assurance that our lens is "9th" in line for rehousing. A month later, Christopher informs us that lens is "18th" in line.

We informed Christopher we no longer wish to continue with the rehousing and formally requested to return the lenses. That was in May 2018.

Three months later, there is no response from Christopher at Van Diemen. After waiting 14 month, we are in the process to start litigation against Van Diemen. Given the legal costs, we hope someone at Reduser may help us to facilitate return of our property from Van Diemen.

Thank you
    Tom
    Please call or text or email
    2I2.729.64I9
    newyorkbigapple@gmail

It looks like the company has gone dark. No activity anywhere, for several months. I'd contact UK authorities and see if they can discern something with a face-to-face visit.

Hi Tom,

I'm not in anyway affiliated with VDF but I also have a very large order of LOMO re-house, Extenders & a long zoom too (3y ago he said it's the largest order to date of LOMO/ COOKE Re-house).

They are very much in business, have delivered 50 lens re-houses this year already, have lost 2 crucial employees in the last 12 months, a major component is being redesigned as it was failing.

I have my 29mm LOMO SQF, a 35mm LOMO SQF & 5 PL extenders already back within the last 2 months, the 50mm LOMO / COOKE is next.

I agree it's a painfully slow process as LOMO didn't make each focal length the same design.

Anyway, he has your number & is going to call you.

To sum up, they're good & your order is good but do not rely on ANY timescale quoted...my order is 3y old so far (29mm > 317mm LOMO / COOKE + a 150-600mm Canon FD)
    Stuart Graham U.S.
    Stuart Graham Outside of the U.S.

Thats the first good thing I have heard about them in many years, they were great 20 years ago, then went bankrupt & reopened with a slightly different name.
    Keith from TLS used to work for them, which is why they were so good in their heyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Graham View Post
    Hi Tom,

I'm not in anyway affiliated with VDF but I also have a very large order of LOMO re-house, Extenders & a long zoom too (3y ago he said it's the largest order to date of LOMO/ COOKE Re-house).

They are very much in business, have delivered 50 lens re-houses this year already, have lost 2 crucial employees in the last 12 months, a major component is being redesigned as it was failing.

I have my 29mm LOMO SQF, a 35mm LOMO SQF & 5 PL extenders already back within the last 2 months, the 50mm LOMO / COOKE is next.

I agree it's a painfully slow process as LOMO didn't make each focal length the same design.

Anyway, he has your number & is going to call you.

To sum up, they're good & your order is good but do not rely on ANY timescale quoted...my order is 3y old so far (29mm > 317mm LOMO / COOKE + a 150-600mm Canon FD)
    Epic Dragon owner, the first upgraded camera in Switzerland :D

Any update on this?

Christopher has gone dark on my order as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Baig View Post
    Last year, my partner and I decided to rehouse our Lomo anamorphic square and round front lenses, so we contacted Van Diemen. Christopher at Van Diemen stated the average turn around time is 90 days. So we sent our 35mm square front BAS for rehousing and 50mm and 75mm Round front anamorphic for servicing to Van Diemen in June 2018.

After 6 months and numerous attempts to contact Van Diemen, we finally heard from Christopher. We complained that lenses are needed for a shoot and we would like to cancel the servicing as it is beyond reasonable time. Upon contact, Christoper said there is an issue with their email service and there is a delay and the lenses will be ready by March 2019.

We informed Christoper our decision to cancel the rehousing because of the long delay. Christopher replied the lens cannot be returned as it is dis-assembled. He however gave assurance that our lens is "9th" in line for rehousing. A month later, Christopher informs us that lens is "18th" in line.

That is crazy to go from 9th to 18th a month later!
    http://IronFilm.co.nz/Sound/ (Sound Recordist based in Auckland, NZ. Happy to travel too)
    https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

Hey Stuart - are you happy with their work on the 29mm and 35mm? Is the quality as expected?
    Alex Sandman
    Cinematographer + Editor
    Massachusetts, USA