Thread: Epic Red Dragon 6k vs Blackmagic 6k

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Epic Red Dragon 6k vs Blackmagic 6k 
    Did some quickly test footage at Wayward Kid between the Red Dragon
    6k and the new Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6k.
    Overall I felt the Blackmagic held up well against the RED and you would be able to shoot and
    cut between footage from these camera fairly seamlessly. I am impresssed. These tests we’re
    not technical or meant to be beautiful more just to get an idea of footage right from the camera
    no special lighting setups. Let me know your thoughts in the comments

http://waywardkid.com/blackmagic-6k-...pic-dragon-6k/

https://www.youtube.com
    Last edited by Irin Daniels; 08-12-2019 at 05:23 PM.

Hey thanks for this. Did you try to match them or just some default709/creative grade?
    Pocket looks like a really bang for the buck. Though with this test I liked more the dragon colors/image.
    I think the last dragon clip is mislabeled pocket6k.
    Last edited by Fabricio Morato; 08-12-2019 at 09:30 PM.

Whoa, it looks good.. for $2,495 this camera sure is amazing! I can probably buy one just from a week of my Scarlet-W rental fee.
    For personal projects and YouTube 4K that P6K is more than enough. But for bigger projects with client budget, I'm not sure..
    Would love to see more of the test; heavy grading, noise texture, highlight roll-off, skintones, etc.
    Thanks for this!
    SCARLET-W #004760

Why 400 iso? Why log curve as a starting point?
    They could have done it with an A7s or GH5.

If itís anything like the P4k, it actually has nicer roll-off/cleaner DR than Dragon IMO. At 800 itís got even over/under and is cleaner than STH at ~500... oh, and it does 6K 50p at 3:1... and itís a DCI friendly 16:9 6144x3456...

...really wish it was RF/shallow mount/focal reducer available.
    Last edited by Mike P.; 08-13-2019 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    If it’s anything like the P4k, it actually has nicer roll-off/cleaner DR than Dragon IMO. At 800 it’s got even over/under and is cleaner than STH at ~500... oh, and it does 6K 50p at 3:1...

...really wish it was RF/shallow mount/focal reducer available.

https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/08/...-the-bmpcc-6k/

Yeah, I know. Iím actually wondering if the UrsaMini ones would work (it should, since the EF flange distance is the same, and there are no obstructions.)
    Last edited by Mike P.; 08-13-2019 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    Yeah, I know. I’m actually wondering if the UrsaMini ones would work (it should, since the EF flange distance is the same, and there are no instructions.)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ross jones View Post
    I have the "magic booster" for the original 4.6k Ursa Mini and tested with impressively sharp from edge to edge (comparing with my stills Sony a7rIII). It almost covers full frame. The Speedbooster lens replaces the screw in baffle and you need to remove the IR filter and mount that onto the outside of the booster housing to make up the clearance.

The BMPCC6k looks as if it has a very similar screw out baffle as the earlier ursa minis.

I also have the G2 with the new adaptor based speed booster. He uses a different speedbooster element for this. This sits further away from the sensor and has it own IR filter and you still need to remove the G2 IR filter for clearance.
    Its a lot easier to mount than the first type.
    This has been very sharp as well, actually a bit too sharp for my liking (I don't like the uber crisp 4.6k look anyway). This booster give pretty much exact full frame cover- I couldn't tell the difference between this and shooting a still framee from my a7rIII.

So I am not sure sure of the physic impossiblitrioes you have been writing about. The speedbooster is giving me a full frame camera that can shoot 120fps at 4.6k (which is overkill for me as every TVC I have shot has asked for 1080 deliverables) at a base iso of over 1600 (haven't tested super accurately, but I know it give more than a stop of extra light), and shoots a beautiful image IMO similar to what I have been shooting stills , and can match campaign images and video work very closely.

Paul
    According to Paul it does.