Thread: RED and Nikon lenses - will there be any solution for proper reliability?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 RED and Nikon lenses - will there be any solution for proper reliability? 
    Hello,

We are using RED cameras since the Epic-M and Nikon Lenses since the mount was released. However we never got proper reliability on lens detection and especially iris control. Sometimes it works, sometimes the iris opens and closes randomly or does not get detected at all.
    I don´t understand why RED does not address these issues as they persist for years now.

Has anybody deeper knowledge about this?

best,

Robert

EDER ROBERT I DP I AERIAL DP
    www.alpine-aerials.com

WEAPON HELIUM 8K I SHOTOVER F1

I'm in the same boat as you, bought a nikon mount after I've switched from canon for my stills work and none of my Nikon mount lenses work reliably. especially the sigma art are pretty much useless.
    aperture function either doesn't get detected at all or keeps hunting and opens and closes continuously.
    Dr. Dominik Münch D.O.C.A
    Filmmaker & Cinematographer
    Epic-W "Lucy"
    http://www.blacksun-productions.com
    http://www.instagram.com/drdominikmuench

Yeah, it is pretty bad for us Nikon user that we can not rely on our lens controls.
    Sigma lenses work not good, but the new Sigma 105 F1.4 don't even have aperture control.
    Please give us some Firmware love!

Really?? Try a follow focus

I use the Otus series mostly and these are great lenses. However we get these random "not detected" issues with the iris opening and closing. On my other Nikon lenses 14-24, 24-70, 70-200 the issues are even worse.

A firmware to fix this would be really needed.

EDER ROBERT I DP I AERIAL DP
    www.alpine-aerials.com

WEAPON HELIUM 8K I SHOTOVER F1

yeah my 70-200 is unusable, such a common lens too, a little love for the mount would open up a world of lenses I own

steve

Follow focus would not work for Iris control since the Nikon glass mentioned is not cinema glass with external IRIS ring.

I have a NIKON mount that I use with my RED Weapon 6K. I use Sigma art glass as well as Nikon glass. I've noticed a few tricks that help with the issues you mentioned...
    1. Lens Detection -- I've found that you need to have the lens set to AUTO FOCUS - ON when you attach the lens. Also, especially with the Sigma Art glass, when you attach the lens and give it the initial turn into the mount, once it clicks/is turned, keep the lens in that position. Do NOT let go, keep turning the lens as if you are forcing it to move in the direction it was turning. I've found that the lens will always get detected when you do this.

2. Regarding the IRIS opening/closing on you. Once the lens is mounted and detected, turn off Auto Focus. I've noticed the open/closing issue, but when I turn off auto focus on the lens, it never happens.

I use all of the lenses you mentioned without issue. I've noticed a few tricks that help with the issues you mentioned...
    1. Lens Detection -- I've found that you need to have the lens set to AUTO FOCUS - ON when you attach the lens. Also, when you attach the lens and give it the initial turn into the mount, once it clicks/is turned, keep the lens in that position. Do NOT let go, keep turning the lens as if you are forcing it to move in the direction it was turning. I've found that the lens will always get detected when you do this.

2. Regarding the IRIS opening/closing on you. Once the lens is mounted and detected, turn off Auto Focus. I've noticed the open/closing issue, but when I turn off auto focus on the lens, it never happens.

I wanna use my 400 2.8 FL pretty please...is this something we need to complain to Nikon to as well? I jumped to Red under the theory that I could use motion+pull stills and leave nikon cameras behind so there might be others who would make the jump if these Nikkor lens compatibility issues get resolved.

If we fix iris, then image stabilization then please too? I know the reason this isn't possible has floated around the forums and getting that root issue in here would be helpful to posters in case we're just asking for a pig to fly.