Thread: KipperTie Revolva EF Bundle — A few questions...

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 KipperTie Revolva EF Bundle — A few questions... 
    Having read no in-depth reviews or seen any videos demonstrating the KipperTie Revolva EF Bundle, we’ve decided to take the plunge — with much trepidation — into unchartered waters and buy one for our WEAPON 6K; desperately hoping we don’t regret our decision.

A few questions for you guys...

What are your experiences with the Revolva? Both positive and negative.

Are there any quirks we should be aware of?

Is it susceptible to dust infiltration? How about flares, or other optical anomalies?

In terms of accessories, we typically have either the 4.7 or 7 inch LCD mounted to the top of the camera (currently via the WC Pass Through Top Plate), and the DSMC2 EVF mounted to the side using the DSMC2 EVF Mount. What extras will we need to make this configuration possible with the Revolva?

Very interested to hear everyone’s thoughts.

Hiya, some quick answers.

We LOVE our revolva filter. I cannot imagine shooting without it. We keep switching nd filters all the time which is a snap.

I have not had any optical anormalies at all. I tested:
    - colors
    - sharpness
    for all filters and I could not see any difference at all for all filters and the clear one.
    I have not had any problems with dust either.

The only problems I had was that the revolva can hit your monitors when they attach. I could not attach the 4.7" monitor. We have the older 7" where we have the adapter plate on and then it works fine. Not sure if it works with the 7" straight on the camera.

Andreas
    www.ObergWildlife.com- Natural History Filmmaking
    www.WildlifeRescueMovie.com- Saving the animals of the Rainforest!
    CF Weapon Helium 8K Strummer Bright Tangerine, Inspire 2 X7, OConnor 2560, Canon 50-1000mm

I have two of them, could not be happier. You need the wooden handle risers for monitor and EVF, and EVF has to come off (quick release) to change cartridges, but otherwise very well integrated. The filter wheels for ND are all very very close for color temperature. I have Helium sensor and no problems, for Monstro, might rarely be a problem for wides. I did need to adjust my backfocus for Sigma Primes, but not sure that the Revolva was the problem. They just released a cartridge with diffusions (Carbon 1, Pearl 1, Gold 1 and clear) which is really nice as well. It is so much easier than having to swap filters on the matte box. They are sealed pretty well with a filter cartridge in place. You can usually guess which cartridge will be needed ahead of time, but changing during use is no big deal. Mostly, again, I am very impresses with the consistency in color temperature in all the filters, including the diffusions, and how much they do not impact the image. The PL mount is very well made, rugged, and works great. Overall very happy with the set, highly recommend!
    DSMC2 Helium 1402
    DSMC2 Helium 6423

What top plate are you guys using? I know the KipperTie has clearance issues with some.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Btw, we are looking at the Ultra Bright 7". Can I get a riser or maybe top plate so that I get clearance with the Revolva? I think Wooden makes a few accessories for this case.

Andreas
    CF Weapon Helium 8K Strummer Bright Tangerine, Inspire 2 X7, OConnor 2560, Canon 50-1000mm

Dave,

You will love your Revolva. Here is a link to a video test I did although it mainly pertains to Monstro and the vignette issues the larger sensor brings that should be no issue for your Weapon.

The little internal ND filters are consistent and accurate and I have never noticed any internal light flaring.

The only downside is the Revolva EF Mount is not as buttery as Red’s Tungsten EF Mount nor does it have the Canon mounts twist lock only the positive lock by turning the collar. Minor quibbles and once you’ve used the internal ND system you will never want to go back. It’s the best accessory I have ever added to a camera
    Tom Gleeson

If you have this riser can you switch casettes?

https://cvp.com/product/wooden-camer...SABEgJ9kfD_BwE

If I get the new 7" ultra bright I need to figure out a way to assemble the monitor in a better way and this could be it.

Best wishes,
    Andreas