Thread: What are your favorite pair of shoes when shooting

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 What are your favorite pair of shoes when shooting 
    Are you on your feet all day carrying heavy stuff? Curious your go to shoes for work

nike janoski max, lightest and most comfy shoes I've ever worn.
    however when carrying heavy stuff, steel cap and reinforced shoes are safer.
    Dr. Dominik Münch D.O.C.A
    Filmmaker & Cinematographer
    Epic-W "Lucy"
    http://www.blacksun-productions.com
    http://www.instagram.com/drdominikmuench

I usually wear merrell jungle mocs. I did 20 hours of steadicam in two days a few weeks ago and my feet felt great. Some one posted the same question on a FB group for film folks and lots of people said allbirds so I bought a pair. I will never ever hire anyone wearing allbirds for the rest of my life. If you think those shoes are for working in you have obviously never done a day of actual work in your life. Worst shoes I have ever worn. They are great for sitting on the couch. I'll give them that.

Nick

Last edited by Dan Kanes; 08-09-2019 at 11:06 AM.

I somehow went through the first 15-ish years of my career mostly wearing Vans on set. A catastrophic mistake really as I discovered after a week of filming and hiking on The Great Wall of China.

I've now switched over to Saucony sneakers, not far off from Merrell's, but I have no clue how Nick survives without laces! The Saucony's are a bit heavier than the common Nike shoes I see, but I need a little weight down there instead of the feather feet thing. The whole reason the Vans were attractive to me was I could feel the ground and had a solid feel to the sole, but they lose in comfort if you are doing production work.

I'll echo Dan on Wolverines, I'll wear their boots in the woods on shoots. Also a bit heavier than you want.

One thing, especially if you are working locally. Grab 2 or 3 pairs of what you like to wear and swap out to a fresh pair every new day. This gives the foam time to recover from your brutal hoofing around and makes for a comfier wear. Also, lace up low and tighten in base-front of that foot. Helps loads.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    swap out to a fresh pair every new day
    also gives time to air out the stank

One thing, especially if you are working locally. Grab 2 or 3 pairs of what you like to wear and swap out to a fresh pair every new day. This gives the foam time to recover from your brutal hoofing around and makes for a comfier wear. Also, lace up low and tighten in base-front of that foot. Helps loads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kanes View Post
    also gives time to air out the stank
    Phil and Dan are very wise.
    marc wielage, csi • colorist/post consultant • daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

I somehow went through the first 15-ish years of my career mostly wearing Vans on set. A catastrophic mistake really as I discovered after a week of filming and hiking on The Great Wall of China.
    If you do like the Vans aesthetic, the new stuff coming out with UltraCush soles is not bad. I used to get pinched nerves standing 14 hours on Eras/Authentics. But I got a pair of UltraRanges and Sk8-Hi's with UC soles and it's a whole new world. For the lighter days on set I really like the UltraRanges -- though they are featherweight. The Sk8-Hi's are not bad either with the better soles, far better than the regular Sk8-Hi's I have. That said, I did get a pair of Authentics with the new soles and improvement was a little more mild over the regular versions. Standing on them is fine but for walking, a single layer of canvas can only go so far to support the rest of your foot.

Of course for some real trekking days, it's hard to beat some actual boots.

An important note for the OP, be sure you get the right size shoes! I can't stress how important proper fit is. A half size up or down might still "fit" but isn't doing the proper job with support.

Also, changing socks at lunch is a game changer. Not just for stank, but it helps you feel rejuvenated and ready for the back half of the day. I always have a fresh pair of socks in my bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Lochert View Post
    Also, changing socks at lunch is a game changer. Not just for stank, but it helps you feel rejuvenated and ready for the back half of the day. I always have a fresh pair of socks in my bag.
    Director - Sound, camera speed, and Act......

DP - (rustlin' through bag)

1nd AD - HOLD FOR SOCKS

DP - (strangely loud) Ahhhhh!

Director - Action!

Socks, the fresh maker :)
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

I always forget to snack or drink enough water on set, but I'll be damned if I don't get to change my socks at lunch! :)