Thread: Interesting news from Blackmagic...

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jake blackstone View Post
    High end cameras from ARRI, Red, Sony are not going anywhere... for now. For now, it's the low end cameras, mass produced cameras that are under assault.
    And for now, the recipe is simple- make 'em cheap, make 'em good enough and pile 'em sky high...
    But make no mistake, BM always starts out slow, but like terminator, BM just keeps coming back with better tech. It takes time, but eventually they will come to the top too...
    I would call it more midrange.
    The UMP G2 already checks a lot of boxes compared to the Amira/Alexa, Dragon-X, C300, Varicam, F55/5, etc...
    The pocket 4 and 6k don't have competition at the moment (maybe a bit from the Z-Cam).

nice specs but they cant even fulfill orders for their 4K camera properly. this is becoming a joke. shame actually because they make pretty decent gear...once they get their catastrophic first firmware versions updated.
    I have two friends in OZ still waiting on their 4K BMPCC they ordered months ago...they're not happy lol
    Dr. Dominik Münch D.O.C.A
    Filmmaker & Cinematographer
    Epic-W "Lucy"
    http://www.blacksun-productions.com
    http://www.instagram.com/drdominikmuench

Quote Originally Posted by Dominik Muench View Post
    nice specs but they cant even fulfill orders for their 4K camera properly. this is becoming a joke.
    Luxury problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Misha Engel View Post
    Luxury problems.
    on blackmagics behalf yes, must be nice to be in demand. for the customer it sucks big time. my mates both had to pay the cameras in full upfront as down payments on their orders and their promised gear so far is 12 weeks late and nowhere to be seen. australia has a pretty bad reseller/distribution system. even when the company is local and based just down the road.
    Epic-W "Lucy"

Quote Originally Posted by Dominik Muench View Post
    on blackmagics behalf yes, must be nice to be in demand. for the customer it sucks big time. my mates both had to pay the cameras in full upfront as down payments on their orders and their promised gear so far is 12 weeks late and nowhere to be seen. australia has a pretty bad reseller/distribution system. even when the company is local and based just down the road.
    That just sounds like a bad dealer.

I don’t know any dealer that would insist on a full upfront payment without a delivery date.

I’ve seen P4ks pretty readily available from the usual places. I just looked at BH and they’re listed as in stock.

JB
    John Brawley
    Cinematographer
    London UK
    www.johnbrawley.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jacek Zakowicz View Post
    PL lenses are not expensive anymore. Also vintage lenses are wildly popular and don't usually come in EF mounts. Grant is missing a point. Put simply- PL IS the cine lens standard. BM is making cine cameras and so they claim. Why don't they use cine standards for lens mount? BM seems to be always behind in this regard.....hmmmm
    I haven't watched the video yet describing why they went didn't go with PL but you can adapt PL to EF with an adapter, you can't go the other way. For this price point EF is the correct choice, it opens up the possibility of autofocus and image stabilization and a whole lot of EF glass which many will already own (more so than PL).

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    That just sounds like a bad dealer.

I don’t know any dealer that would insist on a full upfront payment without a delivery date.

I’ve seen P4ks pretty readily available from the usual places. I just looked at BH and they’re listed as in stock.

JB

absolutely !! I know its not just directly a BM problem even though they seem to have some supply chain delays.

Unfortunately B&H wont deliver certain products to OZ and we are forced to go through local dealers, most of which are not very efficient.
    Epic-W "Lucy"

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Steinberg View Post
    I haven't watched the video yet describing why they went didn't go with PL but you can adapt PL to EF with an adapter, you can't go the other way. For this price point EF is the correct choice, it opens up the possibility of autofocus and image stabilization and a whole lot of EF glass which many will already own (more so than PL).
    Unfortunately very few lenses would accept PL to EF adapter- none of the vintage lenses would. I see lot of young aspiring film makers using vintage and inexpensive contemporary lenses to make their mark. They do wonderful things with that stuff. And that whole market segment is out of BM reach because of their lens mount choice. As far as autofocus - BM does not make their sensors so they can only implement contrast detect AF- pretty much a sales gimmick completely useless in any real shooting situation. So yes, for the sales team it may be a value of another line in the feature list on their sales brochure but for any professional with experience and intelligence it is a joke, an insult to their intelligence and competence (AF CD that is)
    IMO it is a barrier put in by BM to protect their more expensive line of cameras UMP2...
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    Agree. This 6k camera cost less than most PL rangefinder. I think alot of big name DPs that rent bigger cameras for thier projects would find it super appealing to get one of these to have as their recce cam, b cam etc. if it was PL mount on there. That would be a big extra marketing benefit.
    It doesn't matter how cheap it is, design is limiting.
    And a bunch of other things.
    http://i68.tinypic.com/drcb4y.jpg

Analog > Camera feel optimization http://omeneo.com
    Digital > Camera performance optimization http://omeneo.com/primers

imdb

"Como delfines en el fondo del oceano
    volamos por el universo incentivados por la esperanza"

"L'esperanza", Sven Väth
    "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards"
    Jung/ Carol

I think AJA did that to themselves.
    They made a single camera that was crap and therefore, was still-born.
    I wasn't even talking about the AJA camera. I was talking about their main bread and butter- converter boxes. And that is where BM got their start by undercutting AJA pricing.
    I don't think BMD are interested in that market at all. (the very high end) They don't care for the cache of big hollywood films. I'm not the target demographic for their cameras and I don't think many of the users here are either.
    I think their software progression says otherwise. BM cobbled together Resolve suite made out of purchased software, that had previously failed in the market. Yet, BM never fails to mention Resolve suite as "The most advanced software in the world". And overwhelming majority of the mass users actually believe this claim. So, I think BM very clearly interested in dominating in all markets they enter. It just takes time...
    Jake Blackstone
    Colorist
    Los Angeles
    MOD Color Web Site
    Demo Reel