Thread: Segway MiniPRO vs. OneWheel XR

Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1 Segway MiniPRO vs. OneWheel XR 
    For those of y'all that use a OneWheel/Segway/Hoverboard as a filming platform for any variety of tracking/dolly shots, what are some of the pros and cons for each? Is there an overall group preference for one over the others?

    Thanks!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Junior Member Benjamin Jarvis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    15
    I have the Segway and these are some of my pros and cons:

    Pro
    - Ability to face forward when filming as opposed to standing sideways.
    - Easy to balance when holding camera. Have not tried the onewheel, but the segway is a device that anyone can hop on and ride.
    - Audible warning if leaning to far forward or backward.
    - Solid platform that doesn't lean or tilt much as a hoverboard

    Cons
    - Not as durable as onewheel
    - Not as fast as onewheel, but could also be a pro haha
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Jarvis View Post
    I have the Segway and these are some of my pros and cons:

    Pro
    - Ability to face forward when filming as opposed to standing sideways.
    - Easy to balance when holding camera. Have not tried the onewheel, but the segway is a device that anyone can hop on and ride.
    - Audible warning if leaning to far forward or backward.
    - Solid platform that doesn't lean or tilt much as a hoverboard

    Cons
    - Not as durable as onewheel
    - Not as fast as onewheel, but could also be a pro haha
    Nice! Yeah we've worked with a DP who's a whiz on the onewheel... definitely takes a bit of practice for sure.

    Have you filmed from the segway on non-paved surfaces at all? Like on grass or gravel roads? Any guess as to how it might perform?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Junior Member Benjamin Jarvis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Overvold View Post
    Have you filmed from the segway on non-paved surfaces at all? Like on grass or gravel roads? Any guess as to how it might perform?
    Not on unpaved roads - but I have driven it (not filming anything) across fields and dirt and it works well, but probably not as well as a onewheel. Of course the segway or onewheel don't really have any shock absorption other than their tires and your knees, so you may have some shaky footage if not using a gimbal.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,788
    man I have to say, I am an avid skateboarder and I think the one wheel is an incredibly dangerous filming platform, of course it can be done though, but the way it works you REALLY have to get used to, but I've spent very little time on it, but its crazy

    segway mini pro in my opinion is way better/safer for most things if the ground is ok
    JAKE WILGANOWSKI
    Director of Photography / Filmmaker
    CINE-AUTOMATIC.COM
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Wilganowski View Post
    man I have to say, I am an avid skateboarder and I think the one wheel is an incredibly dangerous filming platform, of course it can be done though, but the way it works you REALLY have to get used to, but I've spent very little time on it, but its crazy

    segway mini pro in my opinion is way better/safer for most things if the ground is ok
    Yeah... segway is definitely starting to seem like the better option. With a whole Ronin/EasyRig setup... better/safer/stabler(?) seems like the right call.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts