Thread: Lighting a motorcycle in industrial setting

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Lighting a motorcycle in industrial setting 
    Hello Guys,

I need to light a motorcycle in this location, so there will be a lot of light coming in. I have an ARRI M18 with big diffuser, aputure 120D, aputure ls1S with softbox and a quasar science crossfade and negative fill cloth/flag. How would you go about shooting this.
    I think the most easy would be placing the ARRI M18 above the motorcycle and using at a toplight. But I will not be able to do that. I might be able to place the quasar science over it with a boom, but then again It might not be bright enough with the sunlight.

So what options do I have left, lighting it from one side with the ARRI M18 SOFTBOX, other side LS1S with softbox, and rim it with the 120D bare?

Thanks!

Depends on the framing and type of look you are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Cristian Mihai View Post
    Depends on the framing and type of look you are looking for.
    yeah something that pops from the background. I really dig the top light look, but I dont think I can pull it off with the gear I got.

Maybe put the lights on each side as high up as I can and tilt them down. (only a part in the middle will be unlit then). Allthough this ref is in a dark location with dark bg. I have the sun hitting it, only problem is that the sun will also be hitting the bg just as hard. So I think I need to crank the Arri M18 as hard open as I can, expose for that so that the background will drop in exposure.

To make the background darker during the day you will need BIG and STRONG lights kinf of shoot day for night...ND filters also

Quote Originally Posted by Cristian Mihai View Post
    To make the background darker during the day you will need BIG and STRONG lights kinf of shoot day for night...ND filters also
    Yes I know, but I only have what I wrote above :), so not sure what looks I can create or expect that are still awesome and not bland :)

I love solving challenges like this.
    Can you rig to the structure above the set? Do you have more than one camera? Do you have control over the time of day when you shoot?
    Depending on what the shotlist looks like, you could set up your lighting in a more controlled environment and take a reading, then wait until the ambient balances out to the ratio you want. Or use Sun Seeker in the exact spot your set will be and choose a time when the sun is streaming in at a key place in the frame and light against that.
    Working with limited resources at a location like that, it helps to do more listening than anything else. Mainly to avoid frustration and managing expectations on both yours and the client's part.
    If you don't already, scroll through BikeEXIF for inspiration. They often have killer photos, and the empty industrial space is something that comes up frequently in the moto world.

Thanks!
    that website is indeed good for references, maybe I need to prepare for a couple of circumstances of the weather, it might be sunny, it might be stormy(hope so :) ). And just see on the day itself what the location and ambient light is telling us. And I dont know the color of the motorcycle yet. So if its white or black would make also a big difference.

Its a big location, so what I could do is find a much darker place, I even believe there is one on that location.
    Then I can might solve the issue with hanging a quasar science crossfade with a boom pole over it and still create that top light (allthough a bit smaller then it should be)
    Last edited by Joe Cage; 07-30-2019 at 11:30 PM.

can you only shoot/ access during the day ? I would shoot it at night in this sick location.
    Dr. Dominik Münch D.O.C.A
    Filmmaker & Cinematographer
    Epic-W "Lucy"
    http://www.blacksun-productions.com
    http://www.instagram.com/drdominikmuench

Quote Originally Posted by Dominik Muench View Post
    can you only shoot/ access during the day ? I would shoot it at night in this sick location.
    Yes, that was the first thing I said when they told me the location, but night shoot is no go..

Where will you place the bike and how tight is the widest shot?
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069