Thread: Lighting a motorcycle in industrial setting

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel Arvidsson View Post
    Where will you place the bike and how tight is the widest shot?
    I am not sure yet, Im gonna do a lookaround when I get on location. There is one really wide shot planned. So for that shot, I am going to shoot it just center frame of the location picture. Lighting needs to be done from far away, so just trying to fill in I guess at that point.
    For the close ups, I can move the bike to a darker location and light more closely.

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    Would it work if you put a mirror where you want the light, and aim the light at the mirror? I've never done that, but mirrors are lighter than lights, especially if the mirror is plastic.
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | Martini Ultra (blog)

Mirrors are great, but they need to be glass, and glued to a really heavy piece of plywood. A 4x4 mirrior board certainly isn't any easier to deal with than say a 4k HMI and they are more delicate.

Nick

If the placement of the motorcycle in that location is paramount, just a thought for consideration:
    Treat the location as a plate.
    Shoot the motorcycle in another location where you have full control over all lighting.
    Then composite the two together.

If not, I would suggest flying the M18 overhead on the I-Beams with a 12x12 silk underneath to serve as a large overhead chimera.
    Surround the silk with negative fill to reduce the surrounding natural illumination.
    If you need to zoom from a wide into a MS, you could hinge the furthest negative fill via an electric hoist.
    Everything overhead can be rigged using Clancy Clamps and speedrail.

Love the location.

Minor point, but the right rigging can make a big difference. Vs. a regular stand, setting up a crossbar to hold your M18 directly over the bike can let you get your light much closer to the bike while still keeping the frame clear for your wide angle. Takes time to set up, but usually not too expensive to rent the necessary grip.

Perhaps shooting hdrx on the widest shoot to have more options.
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069