Thread: Problems with trying to get continuous Battery power with accessories

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Problems with trying to get continuous Battery power with accessories 
    So I'm having some power display problems which potentially relate to how DSMC2 bodies receive and display battery info data.

It maybe easier to paint the large picture and describe what I originally set out to do, then bring it back around to my latest stumbling block.

As a double prefix, it's important to know the battery system I'm using: Blueshape Granite Minis, if you haven't used them, they communicate with the camera to display time remaining to the minute, plus safe shut down (rather than just voltage info).

I am trying to solve a workflow on DSMC2 with V-lock expander where I can switch batteries without powering down, whilst retaining this battery info.

On the face it's a really simple task but there's a few requirements:

1. Camera AND accessories must not power down
    2. Battery info display must remain on screen
    3. Has to be simple and transferrable method, shoot to shoot, focus puller to focus puller
    My first solution was the industry standard - Block battery connected to the DC in whilst you change the rear battery. To ensure your accessories don't power down with this method, they must all be connected to he single D tap port on the V lock expander.

I ran into problems with running all accessories (wireless RX, monitor or 2, follow focus etc) through the single 3.0A input on the V-lock expander; monitors would drop out, follow focus would reset etc..

Re-patching one of the accessories through a D tap port direct on the battery solved this, but it meant this accessory went offline during a battery cycle.

My next solution is a V-lock pass-through plate with more D-tap ports plus a DC in - this powers the cameras and accessories without drop out, and the DC in at the plate (not camera body) means accessories stay powered when you hot swap batteries with a block battery connected.

For this solution, I had Hawkwoods make up a custom version of their VL-CA7 plate, with safe DC IN. Chatting with Blueshape we were able to get the plate to transfer battery info on the DSMC2 screen also.

Problem I face now is that when I connect a DC in source (block battery of another V lock) and change the battery, the power display info on the camera screen provides one of two errors:

- It switches from time remaining to voltage, unable to switch back
    OR
    - It freezes the last time remaining info from the previous battery
    Both errors are solved with a power cycle of the camera

So back to my original sentence - it seems I've provoked an error with the camera battery display info, where changing the battery but maintaining the power trips it up.

Is there a software fix for this?

Does someone else have an hardware alternative for v-lock expander that I'm not thinking of?

Thanks in advance

I haven’t read your entire post, but I feel like I’ve read enough to know that the batteries you’re using aren’t rated for a high enough max draw to power the equipment you’ve got plugged into them. Spend a little more on batteries, get something that supports higher current.

You want a Wooden Camera DSMC2 DBox. Plug all your accessories into the ports on it. Then set up a second battery plate that you plug into the DC In port on the DBox.

The DBox hot swaps between the battery on it and the DC In port so you can keep power up to all your accessories. It has the added advantage of running your accessories off the AC power when available.
    ------------
    DP/Colorist
    www.joelvoelker.com
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Conrad View Post
    I haven’t read your entire post, but I feel like I’ve read enough to know that the batteries you’re using aren’t rated for a high enough max draw to power the equipment you’ve got plugged into them. Spend a little more on batteries, get something that supports higher current.
    Thats not what he wrote but yes thats a risk.

I think best solution would be a pass trough Vlock to Vlock UPS that holds power for a minute or so if charged. Then batteries can be swapped behind it. But again not sure it will pass trough all the battery info and update it when a new battery comes on. But I'm sure such device could start blinking or such when stepping in / when battery is out so then possibly not so big need to know minutes left as you then can swap when getting a signal to do so.

something like this: http://www.engstroms.nu/SE/Catalog/v...y/MVQUICK.html

It says:"Allow data communication from battery to camera: the state of charge is displayed to the user" But yes, dont know what the DSMC2 will show when battery is swapped...
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame / VFX / Motion capture / Monstro

EDIT: Realized the beginning of your post covered the % part. Personally I just like the universality of voltage. To each their own.

You could use a sharkfin. It will continue to pass along voltage (but not %) to camera and you can hot swap. As long as you stay over 13v when swapping your AKS shouldn't power down. If % is critically important, a D-Tap to power cable could work when swapping but is a little funky - just remember to plug the d-tap into the NEW battery when doing the swap to guarantee no shutdowns.

I personally live on a sharkfin and my AC's prefer voltage over estimated time or % so they know exactly how much they need to swap with AKS drawing as well.
    Brendan H. Banks
    DP
    Epic-W Helium #796

Thanks for all the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Conrad View Post
    Ha, yes definitely a case of TLDR; the batteries pull up to 12A so no problems there

Wooden Camera D box - This will only display Voltage far as I know?

So will a sharkfin.

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    Thats not what he wrote but yes thats a risk.

I think best solution would be a pass trough Vlock to Vlock UPS that holds power for a minute or so if charged. Then batteries can be swapped behind it. But again not sure it will pass trough all the battery info and update it when a new battery comes on. But I'm sure such device could start blinking or such when stepping in / when battery is out so then possibly not so big need to know minutes left as you then can swap when getting a signal to do so.

something like this: http://www.engstroms.nu/SE/Catalog/v...y/MVQUICK.html

It says:"Allow data communication from battery to camera: the state of charge is displayed to the user" But yes, dont know what the DSMC2 will show when battery is swapped...
    Thanks, this is essentially what I have with the Hawkwoods one, but lower in profile to suit RED bodies, and minus the internaly battery. I may reach out to Blueshape though, didn't know this thing existed. thanks.

I think one of the manufacturers (PAG?) do a hot swap v lock product where a battery is added to an existing battery. That could work very work for your use perhaps? (I wasn't sure if you were aiming to build a product or just needed a solution)

cheers
    Paul

Yes as Paul say's, PAG do really good 'hot-swap' batteries that can click one after the other on to the previous exhausted battery. I regularly stack up to three batteries in a row when filming wildlife behaviour that might otherwise be missed. The percentage is shown accurately on the battery but is slightly more confusing in-camera. 1st low battery shows 12% and then when you add a fresh second battery it might then show 62% in-camera or something to that effect. Three batteries are even more confusing. I believe these batteries can also display voltage if that is what you prefer. But it all works very reliably and PAGs best kept secret is that all these V-lock batteries fit under the RED Top handle - just!
    (I believe it was Björn who cut off the end of his handle for this very reason - RED became ED?!)

Have you considered Core SWX EVO Module? I have this on my cameras, have built in battery which supports changing V-lock battery and is now supported by the latest version of Red firmware. I have found this to be a great solution.
    DSMC2 Helium 1402
    DSMC2 Helium 6423

Quote Originally Posted by William Long View Post
    Yes as Paul say's, PAG do really good 'hot-swap' batteries that can click one after the other on to the previous exhausted battery. I regularly stack up to three batteries in a row when filming wildlife behaviour that might otherwise be missed. The percentage is shown accurately on the battery but is slightly more confusing in-camera. 1st low battery shows 12% and then when you add a fresh second battery it might then show 62% in-camera or something to that effect. Three batteries are even more confusing. I believe these batteries can also display voltage if that is what you prefer. But it all works very reliably and PAGs best kept secret is that all these V-lock batteries fit under the RED Top handle - just!
    (I believe it was Björn who cut off the end of his handle for this very reason - RED became ED?!)
    Yes there lies the same problem - odd interactions with the camera display.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Dishler View Post
    Have you considered Core SWX EVO Module? I have this on my cameras, have built in battery which supports changing V-lock battery and is now supported by the latest version of Red firmware. I have found this to be a great solution.
    This does look good. Same physical height as DSMC2 or taller? How does it interact with camera display?