Thread: Timeline resolution for 8k export file?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Timeline resolution for 8k export file? 
    Hi guys, i woule like to export my 8k footage with my paid version of Davinci Resolve. Just a quick question: i generated all the optimized media for easy editing..and the timeline resolution is 1080, am i wrong? The timeline resolution should be 8k or will be enough 1080 when the export file must be 8k?

Edit: I gave wrong info before. I meant you can edit at a lower debayer resolution, not timeline resolution!
    Thanks to Marc for correcting me below.
    Last edited by Akin A; 08-05-2019 at 01:33 AM. Reason: clarity
    Filmmaker, Actor
    Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | YouTube
    Epic-X Dragon #08468 | Sigma Art 35/1.4, 50/1.4, Rokinon 85/1.4

yeah good idea, thanks so much my friend!!

a note... render at source only works if you have "render individual clips" selected, not "render timeline" for obvious reasons...

if you want to render 8k, then set the timeline to 8k, deliver to 8k, and hit render

then cross your fingers that you don't get GPU mem errors (16-24g Vram is kinda needed for 8k renders) and/or your machine runs into thermal throttling.

this is the land of big power suppies, great cooling, mutiple big GPU's, mutiple big CPU's and loads of disk bandwidth.. a server class machine

Quote Originally Posted by Dermot Shane View Post
    a note... render at source only works if you have "render individual clips" selected, not "render timeline" for obvious reasons...

if you want to render 8k, then set the timeline to 8k, deliver to 8k, and hit render

then cross your fingers that you don't get GPU mem errors (16-24g Vram is kinda needed for 8k renders) and/or your machine runs into thermal throttling.

this is the land of big power suppies, great cooling, mutiple big GPU's, mutiple big CPU's and loads of disk bandwidth.. a server class machine
    thanks for your suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by Akin A View Post
    You can edit on a 1920x1080 timeline and then set your export resolution to whatever you want on the Deliver page. Make sure that under on the Deliver page -> Video -> Advanced Settings, the "Force sizing to highest quality" and "Force debayer to highest quality" are checked.
    You are mistaken. The timeline has to be in the delivery resolution or you risk visual artifacts from unnecessary scaling. This is covered in the manual, but it's presented in an ambiguous way and it's kind of buried.

Take my word from sad experience: you can edit and color correct all you want at low resolution, but when it's time to deliver, you have to set up the timeline resolution to match the original resolution of the source file or there will be compromises. The settings you cite only count for Raw files, and it won't affect this specific problem.

I also think that 8K is insane as a delivery format in the real world, but that's a philosophical issue and I concede that others disagree, and there are always exceptions.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
    You are mistaken. The timeline has to be in the delivery resolution or you risk visual artifacts from unnecessary scaling. This is covered in the manual, but it's presented in an ambiguous way and it's kind of buried.

Take my word from sad experience: you can edit and color correct all you want at low resolution, but when it's time to deliver, you have to set up the timeline resolution to match the original resolution of the source file or there will be compromises. The settings you cite only count for Raw files, and it won't affect this specific problem.

I also think that 8K is insane as a delivery format in the real world, but that's a philosophical issue and I concede that others disagree, and there are always exceptions.
    Thanks, Marc! Yes, I was wrong about timeline resolution.
    I meant you can edit at a lower debayer quality (1/16 Res, 1/8 Res, 1/4 Res, 1/2 Res, Full Res, etc.) in the Camera Raw settings and then on the Deliver page, use "Force debayer to highest quality" and "Force sizing to highest quality."
    Filmmaker, Actor
    Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | YouTube
    Epic-X Dragon #08468 | Sigma Art 35/1.4, 50/1.4, Rokinon 85/1.4