Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Closed Thread
Page 306 of 371 FirstFirst ... 206256296302303304305306307308309310316356 ... LastLast
Results 3,051 to 3,060 of 3709
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    not sure how this conversation went down that road...
    Yeah, and I shouldn't have responded. Just wild sometimes how much speculation and extrapolation the least comment (or a little phone snapshot) from you can start.

Question:

Since that top port isn't monitor-out signal like DSMC, and we know a lot of indies are going to want this as an A cam despite its intended usage, I'm curious about the choice to go SDI-only since an HDMI port would've allowed far more affordable monitors.

Also, since you've mentioned that Komodo was not at all conceived as a "Hydrogen camera module", can you say more about the choice of the CSI interface? Was the camera originally not going to have its own screen? Can you talk yet about any of the use cases you're imagining for what y'all will do with the CSI link?

Internally, If you ask Myself, then ask Graeme, and then ask our Sensor Engineers how many stops any given sensor of ours has, you will usually get 3 different answers. Just like if you ask 3 different D.P.s how many stops any given sensor of ours has ( or any camera for that matter ) , you will likely get 3 different answers.

Yes, the perception varies between total signal range in vacuum to cinematographic context of light, contrast and density.
    With trips in between to pink unicorn land.

3.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Saxon View Post
    Yeah, and I shouldn't have responded. Just wild sometimes how much speculation and extrapolation the least comment (or a little phone snapshot) from you can start.

Question:

Since that top port isn't monitor-out signal like DSMC, and we know a lot of indies are going to want this as an A cam despite its intended usage, I'm curious about the choice to go SDI-only since an HDMI port would've allowed far more affordable monitors.

Also, since you've mentioned that Komodo was not at all conceived as a "Hydrogen camera module", can you say more about the choice of the CSI interface? Was the camera originally not going to have its own screen? Can you talk yet about any of the use cases you're imagining for what y'all will do with the CSI link?
    I understand lots of indies will use Komodo as an A cam, but that's not what it was designed for. HDMI is now vacant on most high end productions ( and high end camera like the Alexa and our own Ranger no longer have HDMI ports ). If nobody is going to use that port in the market Komodo was designed for It is better to use that monitor path for something else instead of just having it sitting there dormant and/or making the camera grow to accommodate. But don't worry, Most 3rd party camera monitors , even the cheap ones, have an HD-SDI version now.

CSI came after I inherited the Hydrogen Program before it was cancelled. But don't worry.. we will still put it to good use. You mentioned low cost monitors.. and cell phones are probably as cheap of an option you can get to put up there, with the benefit of also being the smallest and lightest option since they have their batteries built in.

For anyone concerned about HDMI monitoring, you can always grab one of these: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...rt_4k_%7C.html when it's released (probably around the time Komodo comes out)
    Or the existing blackmagic one.

SDI is the industry standard.

Or, as Jarred just mentioned:
    ... ...You mentioned low cost monitors.. and cell phones are probably as cheap of an option you can get to put up there, with the benefit of also being the smallest and lightest option since they have their batteries built in.
    Formerly known as "nutman"
    ||| RED ONE #1333 ||| Epic-X #1003 |||
    ||| RED Hydrogen Houdini #0034 Titanium #1014 |||
    H4Vuser

For example Helium actually has improved a bit over the last couple years from a hardware standpoint by the engineers and Graeme's work continues to squeeze more out of the sensors from a software standpoint, but I reference Helium #0001 so it is a fair worst case not taking improvements into consideration.
    That's an interesting statement, implying that the sensor itself is versioned internally and has made improvements on each batch perhaps. So now we're adding 'vintage' to a particular sensor as well :)

The only thing i'd add to DR is that i believe the software has a lot to do with it - by messing around with cameras that output open DNG files means getting to the real captured data - but actually most end images include work on highlight reconstruction, which in the case of these DNGs you have to do manually, so you're more aware of how much image can actually be 'reconstructed' at the top. I'm pretty sure closed RAW formats like R3D and ArriRAW this all happens in the SDK automagically - certainly that was a big improvement in IPP2.

There's a whole crop of current cameras apparently using the same 6K sensors but all reporting different marketing results despite the fact that the source has to be the same. The difference IMHO is software.

This kind of reconstruction is particularly good at wedge charts. So Phil doing broader tests is much more useful.

Drumming fingers waiting for Pre Orders to open....

Cheers
    Paul
    -------------------
    insta: @paul.inventome

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6gejq0hQcS/?hl=en

This looks very cool!

Does anyone know which monitor and handle are in Jarred’s Instagram photo where the camera is in the snow?
    Last edited by adam r; 01-05-2020 at 04:27 AM.

Looks like a GDU side handle and the usual Small HD monitor we've seen in other shots.
    Formerly known as "nutman"
    ||| RED ONE #1333 ||| Epic-X #1003 |||
    ||| RED Hydrogen Houdini #0034 Titanium #1014 |||
    H4Vuser

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Karydis View Post
    Looks like a GDU side handle and the usual Small HD monitor we've seen in other shots.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by adam r; 01-05-2020 at 06:51 AM.

I understand lots of indies will use Komodo as an A cam, but that's not what it was designed for.

<snip>

CSI came after I inherited the Hydrogen Program before it was cancelled.

But don't worry.. we will still put it to good use.

<snip> .
    [Emphasis added]

Dumb question here …

Do you have some scheme by which multiple KOMODOs can be synched* (very precisely/accurately/ in a stable way) ?

Is there something other than genlock for that given HYDROGEN "Legacy" ?

Anyone have any idea on that ?

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __

* I'm not pressing for differences there for Globally shuttered versus rolling shutter / scan for multiple camera synching.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________

A 25 year long equipment list / toy box of stuff that's waaaaaaay too long and too bizarre and obscure to mention (even here).

~ But the HYDROGENS I have kicking about the place could be "Handy" for a bit of reduced price KOMODO "Action" ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher A. Bell View Post
    I've brought up similar thoughts on other forums many times before. I started out back in the 90's on SD analog Betacam. What we have available now is insane compared to just a few decades ago, BUT it's ironic that now we have cameras with so much more DR and the ability to shoot in LOG and RAW and the ability to literally 'fix it in post', but I see so much more over exposed, blown out shots with horrible color than I ever did when we "had" to get it right in-camera. We were more careful and mindful. Now because so many think that it can all be done in post, no care is taken during acquisition.
    Yeah,

I don't necessarily "diss" what young digitally inclined cinematographers and their associated workflows get up to theses days...

My first digital "experience" on a lengthy imaging project was with a Leaf Digital Camera back (medium format), but was a Peltier cooled giant brick affixed to a Hasselblad with three Kodak Wratten filters in a filter wheel / separated channels. The bit depth with true separated channels was very decent (for it's time) but if memory serves me right Dynamic Range was of the order of 9 to 11 stops. ~ The BEST 4 million pixels on the planet for 1991 !

Nowadays you could completely reshoot Barry Lyndon effortlessly on a Gemini lol. (no calculations for reciprocity failure required nor extremely hard to source ( yet fun) lenses required .)

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6MkDF3hdtc/

This shot ^^^ posted by Jarred on "Instajarred" seems super interesting, ~ subtle yet challenging conditions -
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________

A 25 year long equipment list / toy box of stuff that's waaaaaaay too long and too bizarre and obscure to mention (even here).

~ But the HYDROGENS I have kicking about the place could be "Handy" for a bit of reduced price KOMODO "Action" ;-)