Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Closed Thread
Page 266 of 371 FirstFirst ... 166216256262263264265266267268269270276316366 ... LastLast
Results 2,651 to 2,660 of 3709
    Quote Originally Posted by Bastien Tribalat View Post
    Locking mount : there are already RF to PL adapters
    Production Friendly Rigging : there will be the cradle and we can expect every third party rig company will do something (and come on it's a freaking cube it's like the easiest shape to build stuff around even with a screen on top)

As for your example, there are a bunch of compact light-ish anamorphic lenses on the market already (Hawk V-Lite or Panavision G series for example) so again I don't see any difficulty (it might be harder to balance but not impossible IMO)

EDIT : I managed to balance and use a Canon C300MKII (2 CFAST, the screen unit, standard battery everything minus the side grip) + the same Xeen24mm I mentionned earlier on gen 1 DJI Ronin so the tiny Komodo + a Panavision G Series lense with batteries and a monitoring option should not be a problem for a good Movi gimbal.
    Locking mount --- not locking glass like PL does , locking the adapter itself (aka on the camera itself).
    Hawk® V-Lite Anamorphics is around 2,5 kilos. Its not about balance its about play between optics and camera.
    Why wait for third party, why not to do it like on mini , imho Arri's cage is the best.

Phil Holland has said that the Metabones PL to RF adapter can hold ~4lbs without a lens support, you need a heavier lens, then run 15mm rods and a lens support. No problem. People use adapters to PL all the time, especially with sony cameras that are E-Mount. Its not a problem, thats why there are such things like lens supports.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._for_19mm.html
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._rod_30cm.html

Quote Originally Posted by Colton John McLaughlin View Post
    Phil Holland has said that the Metabones PL to RF adapter can hold ~4lbs without a lens support, you need a heavier lens, then run 15mm rods and a lens support. No problem. People use adapters to PL all the time, especially with sony cameras that are E-Mount. Its not a problem, thats why there are such things like lens supports.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._for_19mm.html
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._rod_30cm.html
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...s_digital.html ---BAD mount.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ull_frame.html ---GOOD mount.

Difference in locking mechanism.

Ah gotcha, yes that would be a nice feature but at least for me it’s not necessary. Maybe Komodo Gen II? Or Komodo Pro?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Stolpakov View Post
    Dude, slow down. Do you seriously think RED would release the Komodo w/out figuring the mounts out?

They've designed mounts for ALL their other cameras.

We have to assume they are thinking about Komodo as an ECOSYSTEM.

I'm sure when Komodo goes live you'll be able to buy not just a brain, but a KIT.

RED has a lot invested in Komodo.

I have to imagine they are thinking everything through.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Morrison View Post
    Dude, slow down. Do you seriously think RED would release the Komodo w/out figuring the mounts out?

They've designed mounts for ALL their other cameras.

We have to assume they are thinking about Komodo as an ECOSYSTEM.

I'm sure when Komodo goes live you'll be able to buy not just a brain, but a KIT.

RED has a lot invested in Komodo.

I have to imagine they are thinking everything through.
    Like PL on ALL cameras...
    Which Rental House will buy into ECOSYSTEM? ( if Already invested good amount in PL glass )
    Don't you want to rent a second small tiny camera to you main camera shooting the same format and using the same lenses ?
    Last edited by Alex Stolpakov; 12-03-2019 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Stolpakov View Post
    Like PL on ALL cameras...
    Which Rental House will buy into ECOSYSTEM? ( if Already invested good amount in PL glass )
    Don't you want to rent a second small tiny camera to you main camera shooting the same format and using the same lenses ?
    I guess I'll show my rigid Komodo RF > PL Adapter setup shortly. It's easy, using a baseplate as you go into Komodo and that little lens support bracket on the mount adapter. That foot platform is there for a reason on the Metabones (and other adapters) as it's designed to help solve heavier and longer lenses. Much like using an actual lens support bracket via rods on longer zooms.

I don't know what the RF Mount "purely" is rated for yet, I suspect it's 8-12lbs total, but that always depends on lens length and weight. The most recent Metabones PL Mount, the one I went with after testing other options on the market btw, is surprisingly well built. 4-6lbs really isn't a problem so far on the mount. I'll toss a heavy lens on there to see if I can break it I guess. But honestly any sane person wouldn't do that.

If you're referring to the ecosystem, I think you're looking at Komodo differently than pretty much anybody who has seen it. If you need to make the camera really, really, really small Komodo + RF Lens. If you are looking to use a PL Adapter you can. If you are looking to use behind the lens ND you can. If you are looking to adapt nearly any lens to the camera, you can. That's sort of the purpose of going with that mount.

It's interesting RED didn't go with removable mounts here, but it's pretty easy to see why as Komodo is pretty much an out of the box experience. That will likely remain a concept for the larger bodies for years to come.

I guess if you are also looking for a very rigid PL mount without the use of a baseplate solution you can build one that physical mounts to the points on camera as well. Also not mind blowing to do.

And who knows, maybe RED will make a RF to PL Adapter at some point too. There's already a few decent solutions out there.

If there were any major red flags here you'd see me stamping my feet about it. I'm a bit of a lens nut.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

In other news, another image of the camera published by Jarred on Instagram featuring Vincent Laforet
    VIDEO EDITING - COLOR GRADING - VFX
    APPLE FINAL CUT PRO, AVID MEDIA COMPOSER
    ADOBE CREATIVE CLOUD, DAVINCI RESOLVE, REDCINE X PRO...

Quote Originally Posted by Bastien Tribalat View Post
    In other news, another image of the camera published by Jarred on Instagram featuring Vincent Laforet
    I don't see this monitor as a good sign...
    -No power output from Komodo?
    -Komodo needs three batteries to operate now?
    -I'm sure it's temporary, but it means that the definitive monitor (the one using the pins...) is not ready yet. Maybe not a good sign.

Also, I would have focus on the camera...
    🧠+👁️+👂🏼+📹=...
    Documentary shaper, "that guy...".
    https://m.imdb.com/name/nm1523882/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Minnesnowta needs one of these ASAP