Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Reply to Thread
Page 107 of 181 FirstFirst ... 75797103104105106107108109110111117157 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,070 of 1805
  1. #1061  
    Hmm, interesting article:

    https://nofilmschool.com/digital-cam...rket-sales-low

    A 50% fall from one year to the other for cameras and 60% for lenses. Any industry hit by such drastic numbers are in for a big change no doubt. Really nuts if you think of it, the foto/camera industry is rather old, lot of large companies built over long time that has huge momentum but has difficulty to turn quickly. It will be interesting to see who can adapt if / when this trend continues. Its a steelbath for quite a few no doubt.

    My guess, prices for decent cineglass will likly fall drastically and the amount of new affordable/capable small “cine cameras” coming to market will likly be nuts.

    Im sure Jarred and team is very aware. If it was difficult to create something groundbreaking back in the redone days its for sure not easier today.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame / VFX / Motion capture / Monstro
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #1062  
    Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    3,963
    Quote Originally Posted by Bastien Tribalat View Post
    I think you're too ambitious.
    I don't think he is because it's the rational response to the competing specs.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    So much for being a unicorn. Tough spot; I doubt Komodo will switch to CFE, as that would likely delay it, giving all the other competing 6k raw cameras even more lead-time.
    Doesn't matter if it's delayed. If it ends up being the best of the mid-tier cameras it's gonna win over the competition due to both being better and having the Red brand. But competing with Z Cam and Blackmagic is tough, it can't be a half-assed attempt at a Z Cam clone, but that's not what I expect from Red.



    Quote Originally Posted by Savannah Miller View Post
    Outside of cine cams, a lot of cameras don't seem to have visible cooling. If anything, a lot of camera companies in many ways are far more advanced than RED and Blackmagic at building cameras. It's mainly the limitations of what cameras are not willing to include (compressed raw, prores, timecode, pro features, etc.) that makes certain cameras less desirable. In many ways though, they are much further ahead.
    Both the Pocket 6K and the S1H have cooling. But it's much more low-key than what the Komodo seems to do.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Yes and no. When it comes to particular sensors, it's all about what you are attempting to do with them or get out of them, then it's the unique methods you tap into them.

    A lack of cooling isn't necessarily a sign of advancement, but more is more often a sign of compromise.
    A lack of cooling means a good overall design, but what's even better is robust cooling. The S1H uses the Panasonic military-grade cooling, used in their military laptops, making the camera be water and dust-resistant and still be able to cool the processor/sensor.
    Red has always "played" with the military-style of camera gear, so it's a bit ironic that Panasonic actually does military-grade cooling.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #1063  
    Senior Member Alain M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Miami, FL || Maracay-Venezuela
    Posts
    387
    We wait for Komodo then make decisions for B CAM options light weight etc... I think RED will knock it and will release a great very usable product for us...

    :)
    Alain Maiki
    Director || Filmmaker
    epicinmotion.com
    alainmaiki.com
    IMDb Alain Maiki
    RED Helium 8K S35
    Hydrogen ONE
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #1064  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,630
    Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    Hmm, interesting article:

    https://nofilmschool.com/digital-cam...rket-sales-low

    A 50% fall from one year to the other for cameras and 60% for lenses. Any industry hit by such drastic numbers are in for a big change no doubt. Really nuts if you think of it, the foto/camera industry is rather old, lot of large companies built over long time that has huge momentum but has difficulty to turn quickly. It will be interesting to see who can adapt if / when this trend continues. Its a steelbath for quite a few no doubt.

    My guess, prices for decent cineglass will likly fall drastically and the amount of new affordable/capable small “cine cameras” coming to market will likly be nuts.

    Im sure Jarred and team is very aware. If it was difficult to create something groundbreaking back in the redone days its for sure not easier today.
    As the article indicated, this drop is largely a result of the current tariff war. Prices for new gear won’t go down when import tariffs are up on both products and the raw materials to make them by as much as 35%, with more increases likely. We have had several rounds of price increases from equipment manufacturers we use. The most recent round in September by as much as 25% on steel products on top of 12% to 18% last winter. It is pushing global markets into recession.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #1065  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,630
    Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    I don't think he is because it's the rational response to the competing specs.




    Doesn't matter if it's delayed. If it ends up being the best of the mid-tier cameras it's gonna win over the competition due to both being better and having the Red brand. But competing with Z Cam and Blackmagic is tough, it can't be a half-assed attempt at a Z Cam clone, but that's not what I expect from Red.





    Both the Pocket 6K and the S1H have cooling. But it's much more low-key than what the Komodo seems to do.



    A lack of cooling means a good overall design, but what's even better is robust cooling. The S1H uses the Panasonic military-grade cooling, used in their military laptops, making the camera be water and dust-resistant and still be able to cool the processor/sensor.
    Red has always "played" with the military-style of camera gear, so it's a bit ironic that Panasonic actually does military-grade cooling.

    Komodo’s large vents could be an indication of support for higher frame rates or lower compression, and don’t necessarily mean the design is not water and dust resistant. It could be for enhanced forced airflow across hermetically sealed heat sinks.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #1066  
    Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    3,963
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rasberry View Post
    Komodo’s large vents could be an indication of support for higher frame rates or lower compression, and don’t necessarily mean the design is not water and dust resistant. It could be for enhanced forced airflow across hermetically sealed heat sinks.
    The Pocket 6K already does 50 fps at 6K Raw 3:1 and it doesn't have much in terms of cooling. I'm not sure there's much cooling needed for higher framerates and lower compression if the processor has lower nanometer structure than current-gen Red's.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #1067  
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rasberry View Post
    As the article indicated, this drop is largely a result of the current tariff war. Prices for new gear won’t go down when import tariffs are up on both products and the raw materials to make them by as much as 35%, with more increases likely. We have had several rounds of price increases from equipment manufacturers we use. The most recent round in September by as much as 25% on steel products on top of 12% to 18% last winter. It is pushing global markets into recession.
    Are you sure? US is a big market but cameras is very much a world wide thing. My guess is leaning way more towards the fact that nobody uses cameras any more as people tend to use their smartphones. The new iPhone11 will push even more in that direction. And sure, it´s not the high end cameras that take a beating but the bigger camera companies that have huge investments in DSL:R and pocket camera market for sure will take a huge hit when phones like the iPhone11 is commonly used. If they completely loose their consumer market share they will for sure have difficulty to hold up their professional end. Atleast without doubt they really need to go trough a huge change no matter what Tarriffs are in play.

    It´s kind of like the celluloid film business. First it looses some to digital then things change very rapidly. Now when cameras are basically being digitised / becoming apps in our phones I have no doubt that we will see a similar thing happening to the camera manufacturers as we seen happen to Kodak, Fuji etc. Its simply shit hard for such large companies to adapt fast enough.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame / VFX / Motion capture / Monstro
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #1068  
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    The Pocket 6K already does 50 fps at 6K Raw 3:1 and it doesn't have much in terms of cooling. I'm not sure there's much cooling needed for higher framerates and lower compression if the processor has lower nanometer structure than current-gen Red's.
    The Pocket 6K has a pretty beefy fan for the form factor. It's a lot more audible than the 4K (but not loud enough to be an issue) and puts out a lot of heat. It can be hard to hold the camera close to the vents while shooting, because of the temperature.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #1069  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    279
    New BP-A batteries from Core SWX. Grab a couple of these for your Komodo and you could probably go a week between battery swaps

    https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/09/...300-c500-mkii/
    Red EPIC-W #003307 "Annabelle"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #1070  
    Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    3,963
    Quote Originally Posted by Joey Ciccoline View Post
    The Pocket 6K has a pretty beefy fan for the form factor. It's a lot more audible than the 4K (but not loud enough to be an issue) and puts out a lot of heat. It can be hard to hold the camera close to the vents while shooting, because of the temperature.
    Yes, didn't say it didn't have cooling, but what I meant is that it's not as beefy as with the visible one on the Komodo. So, if the Pocket 6K can do 50 fps at 3:1 RAW with that cooling, I seriously hope the Komodo can do better or at least do it quieter with it's cooling.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600
    Reply With Quote  
     

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts