Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Closed Thread
Page 336 of 371 FirstFirst ... 236286326332333334335336337338339340346 ... LastLast
Results 3,351 to 3,360 of 3709
    Quote Originally Posted by Karim D. Ghantous View Post
    Bonus for film makers: Komodo is going to be cheaper than the 1DX Mark III, while being lighter, more compact, more powerful, and more flexible.
    These are completely different cameras. While I would expect the Komodo to be the better option for cinema work the 1DXMK3 will no doubt be more versatile as it also shoots stills. And while I have high hopes that the AF that Komodo offers will be usable, I think comparing it to what will likely be the most advanced AF the world has ever known is a bit of a reach. For ruggedness I also believe the nod will go to the Canon. Also, letís not forget, the 1DXMK3 is full frame.

While I will get the Komodo, itís not because I expect it to have more processing power, or be tougher, or have superior AF. Iím getting it for the size, weight and expected image characteristics. These are very different cameras. The form factor of the Komodo lends itself better to rigging. It will balance more easily on a gimbal. While there is some overlap they are designed with different primary use cases in mind.

Strangely, while some here complain that Komodo would be better served with an EF or PL mount, I complain that the 1DXMK3 was not given an RF Mount. Iím good with Komodo as is. I feel itís balanced and seems to offer a great set of features that thus far have been unavailable.
    Last edited by Han Vogen; 01-16-2020 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Rasberry View Post
    Panasonic sold off their fabrication division but, like most other camera makers including Red, will probably continue to design new sensors for their products and farm out the manufacturing.
    Right... so hopefully Panasonic is either continuing to work with TowerJazz on developing organic sensors, or part of the purchase agreement includes the two manufacturers acquiring rights to use the organic sensor technology that Panasonic has developed. It seems like it would be in everyone's best interest for both to have it, since Panasonic will be partnering with at least one of them to get its sensors fabricated, and if they gain the IP then they can amortize the continued R&D costs over other fabrication customers' orders, saving everyone money in the long run.

My guess is that if not, Sony's just going to keep becoming more dominant...
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Rakesh Malik
    Director of Photography, Colorist
    http://WinterLight.studio
    http://www.imdb.me/rakeshmalik

Quote Originally Posted by Han Vogen View Post
    These are completely different cameras. While I would expect the Komodo to be the better option for cinema work the 1DXMK3 will no doubt be more versatile as it also shoots stills. And while I have high hopes that the AF that Komodo offers will be usable, I think comparing it to what will likely be the most advanced AF the world has ever known is a bit of a reach. For ruggedness I also believe the nod will go to the Canon. Also, let’s not forget, the 1DXMK3 is full frame.

While I will get the Komodo, it’s not because I expect it to have more processing power, or be tougher, or have superior AF. I’m getting it for the size, weight and expected image characteristics. These are very different cameras. The form factor of the Komodo lends itself better to rigging. It will balance more easily on a gimbal. While there is some overlap they are designed with different primary use cases in mind.

Strangely, while some here complain that Komodo would be better served with an EF or PL mount, I complain that the 1DXMK3 was not given an RF Mount. I’m good with Komodo as is. I feel it’s balanced and seems to offer a great set of features that thus far have been unavailable.
    I agree with this. Depending on your needs, a FF raw-shooting hybrid camera that is also the most rugged and fastest stills camera Canon makes may be a better fit than Komodo. Totally different cameras with some overlap.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gundu View Post
    Hey why not wait to see what the Komodo will be? No point arguing about something that isnít even out yet.
    x1000

Quote Originally Posted by Hrvoje Simic View Post
    "Subborn crewmember's old school ways" =
    how to get shit done reliably, repeatedly, within precise timeframe and coordination, In 4 a.m, Nth take, exhausted, wet, frozen...so hundreds of people on set keep working like an army, meeting shooting schedule and instantly adapting to changes and unforseen circumstances while money is melting away by the second.

"Gimme everyting now, every second something new and I'll figure out ways to work around the rest and adapt the shooting workflow, yaay new stuff" = explorative privilege many crew members on set do not have.

"How can this screw me?" - rational reaction from anyone who's job involves responsibility towards hundreds of people on set, shooting schedule and larger sums of money invested in the project

"This new camera/professional tool a/b/c I've seen on the internet sucks because it doesn't incporporate what I imagined" - irrational reaction from mindsets sitting at home with zero film set experience and consumeristic sense of entitlement.

Film needs to be done through principles of filmmaking, which have little to do with someone's whims and "stubborn old school ways", optimization to which took decades of perfection, generations of passing knowledge, years of practice to learn to be able to adequately fit in the film set machinery, and products designed for filmmaking have to be adapted for film workflow. Or they don't get used on film sets.

If a new camera/tool feature enables more, is reliable, practical, robust etc it eventually gets used in most tasking and riskful production environment, which is a higher budget film, series or TVC set, by highly skilled, highly adaptable set ninjas. Who typically don't get to work - or stay, on a film set, if stubborness is their character trait.
    Totally get it. We've all been there at 4AM in the bottom of the quarry with 30mph winds just struggling to exist, much less shoot. The issue is systemic and fundamental, it certainly won't be solved by a camera company. When I say film needs to be more tolerant of failure, I don't mean camera dept--I mean the way production operates as a whole.

It's a mindset change, the industries that advance the most have a "fail fast" mentality that facilitates curiosity and innovation and ensures things always move forward. But in film, where millions of dollars rest on your shoulders, you have to always choose the safest path, leading to stagnation. Everyone must convince everyone else they have a plan, that they know exactly how everything works, and that they are the best choice. This leads to hubris basically being a job requirement. "I don't know, let's figure it out" is a red flag phrase on set, whereas it should be the basis of all operation.

I think it was a Disney imagineer who said "it's too easy to be conservative when you have a deadline."

Anyway! Komodo! Will Arri respond?
    MadlyFX Special Effects
    Chicago, IL
    IMDb
    andy@madlyfx.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    <snip > <No worries all good stuff ~ snipped for clarity>

But for that one lens mount to work , you need to make sure its better than everything else that it is trying to replace... and there can't be any politics.
    Thanks for laying that all out .

Hypothetically assuming there is something "Better" than everything else , or just substantially better in a number of key forward thinking ways …

... And there can't be any politics

^^^ How does that work ? I'm trying to understand better how current "Politics" is obstructive to that idea ? Beyond proprietary / commercial formats that seek to be more exclusive than inclusive (in some cases).

Supposing there was a mounting system that did not operate in the same way as current methods and offered key advantages (in a forward looking way), I think such a system would just be ignored and then eventually would be knocked off... And then would degenerate into it's own variants the SONY version or the Canon Version etc. once again. + different sizes*

Any chance you can expand on the "can't be any politics" idea ? ~ Selfishly I'm interested in your view of that whole landscape (something I don't have a decent frame of reference for.).

Ta.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________

* For example in the machine tool industry there's a reasonable analog with tool holders for mills and mill turn machines … CAT 40 vs, CT 40 vs BBT 40, or 30 taper machines or need for 50 taper machines , the "Germans" tried to advance and standardize things with HSK interface HSK 63, HSK 100 etc. etc., larger and smaller variants with various advantages and disadvantages , then there 's CAPTO C6 (and it's variants) really excellent solution for mill-turn machines but much more expensive yet overall superior performance. etc. similarly with pallet systems and so on. The physical engineering of these systems and their respective "Sand pits" and intended applications all require different physical solutions that are appropriate to their needs. ~ Not sure a "universal" interface for that would ever be possible regardless of various "Histories" and proprietary needs. I'm not so sure the mounting systems for various current lens types are that different in the need for certain functional variants by necessity.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________

A 25 year long equipment list / toy box of stuff that's waaaaaaay too long and too bizarre and obscure to mention (even here).

~ But the HYDROGENS I have kicking about the place could be "Handy" for a bit of reduced price KOMODO "Action" ;-)

Hi Jarred,

Would you please give us a tentative date for the release of Komodo's full specs? I am looking forward to puchasing one.
    Thanks!

I think they’ll be out in selected hands late May... early orders arriving in other peoples hands into June, July and August.

I’ll order one as soon I can but I don’t think I’ll have it until well into the second half of the year.

hope I’m wrong but Just being realistic... but I think this camera is worth that kind of wait.

I understand that. I was just asking about specs. Let's keep our fingers crossed hoping that Jarred can enlighten us before the end of this week.

Jarred - thank you for listening to the community. RF Mount and AF technology is the future of cinema :)
    Director | Cinematographer | Editor