Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Reply to Thread
Page 111 of 278 FirstFirst ... 1161101107108109110111112113114115121161211 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,110 of 2773
    Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    Someone somewhere built an OLPF for the Ursa Mini that works. Their Ursa Mini G2 also has an 11 ms shutter, something that might end up in the Pocket one day. Bottom line is that there are solutions for a system that's a fraction of what a Red cost, if that's what's holding you back. Their color science is improving as well.
    RawLite https://rawlite.com/ has them and they where used in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JllrjJ_XpQ and the G2 shutter times are: 7,7ms 4,6K, 6,5ms UHD, 3,15ms HD

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    I think a lot of people pooping on the P6k as a competitor to Komodo probably haven't used it or the p4k. What I'm seeing out of the p4k is discernibly better than MX (even with Ipp2), so Komodo would have to be at least Dragon-equivalent in terms of image to stand out.

Also, as long as GioScope Chip 11 (of 16) is mid-grey at "default" ISO, exposing/working with .r3ds is going to be more nuanced/less intuitive than BRAW. In that regard, the pockets are like Alexa; you picked it up, expose via false colour, and the resulting files make the most effective use of the DR. It's very straight-forward/bulletproof.

In my opinion, so far nothing known about Komodo makes it better than a Pocket 6k*, except the RF mount. That is *not* worth double~triple the price to me. Put another way; if Komodo isn't better than a Dragon-X, I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being a lower-volume niche C/Crash/gimbal/flight cam on bigger RED productions, not the huge seller a "$6k RED" would've been a couple years ago.

*everything is subject to change (we still don't really know anything about Komodo... e.g. if it has Dual Pixel AF and 6k 60p, you could slap a focal reducer on there and that'd basically make it a C500mk2 competitor... heh.)
    Exactly my point. There's a difference between bashing the competitors based on their specs and reputation, but actually judging the cameras by their own merits and working with the material in post gives a whole other perspective. The Pocket 6K is no Dragon 6K, that's for sure, but it's so close, too close to be ignored. And this is just the first version of their s35 6K.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

Quote Originally Posted by Misha Engel View Post
    RawLite https://rawlite.com/ has them and they where used in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JllrjJ_XpQ and the G2 shutter times are: 7,7ms 4,6K, 6,5ms UHD, 3,15ms HD
    I think Cinema5D tested the rolling shutter on it and measured it closer to 11 ms, but still, no way near as bad as people think about BMD.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

New photo
    Attached Images
    James Bridges
    Scarlet #651 "Maggie"
    www.typeamedia.com

What's that thing? Exposure meter?

Red Weapon 6K #00600

Quote Originally Posted by jamesbridges View Post
    New photo
    Higher resolution:

That's the new GDU RF Body Cap.

Jarred's post:
    "GDU EOS R / RF Port cap now in stock. Milled from a single block of 6061 Aluminum with an assist lever machined from a solid chunk of Brass. $49. GlobalDynamicsUnited.com"

Added the other shot of the cap with the Canon EOS R as it helps gauge the size of Komodo a bit better.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Exactly my point. There's a difference between bashing the competitors based on their specs and reputation, but actually judging the cameras by their own merits and working with the material in post gives a whole other perspective.
    AMEN. And this comment totally contradicts several comments you have posted in this thread. I actually do know somebody working with KOMODO material and they are blown away. #justsayin'

The Pocket 6K is no Dragon 6K, that's for sure, but it's so close, too close to be ignored. And this is just the first version of their s35 6K.
    OMG .... when did the Dragon 6K get released??

You do realize that at the moment that a RED sensor is shipping - there is already another (or multiple) sensors in design and development. RED has a sensor team that works full time. They don't keep working on the sensors that are already done :)

I sincerely do not mean to be disrespectful - I just have a very opposing point of view and opinion vs many of your comments. I could be wrong ... been wrong before once or 2-300 times.
    Mark L. Pederson

What's that thing? Exposure meter?

It's an LED light pipe - most likely a tally light. It could be a power indicator as well.
    Mark L. Pederson

Quote Originally Posted by Mark L. Pederson View Post
    AMEN. And this comment totally contradicts several comments you have posted in this thread. I actually do know somebody working with KOMODO material and they are blown away. #justsayin'
    I can't really contradict myself when I know nothing of what Komodo can do. What I do know, however, is that the capabilities of the other cameras are far greater than people give them credit for.
    It's great to hear that kind of feedback on Komodo, but until I have files to play around with it's hard to measure it against others for myself. Hint hint

Quote Originally Posted by Mark L. Pederson View Post
    OMG .... when did the Dragon 6K get released??

You do realize that at the moment that a RED sensor is shipping - there is already another (or multiple) sensors in design and development. RED has a sensor team that works full time. They don't keep working on the sensors that are already done :)

I sincerely do not mean to be disrespectful - I just have a very opposing point of view and opinion vs many of your comments. I could be wrong ... been wrong before once or 2-300 times.
    Dragon is a few years old yes, how about Arri's sensor? Point being that Red and Arri cameras still go for a lot compared to mid-tier cameras costing a fraction. And even if both Arri and Red is still performing better, others aren't that far behind anymore.

The point I'm trying to communicate is that A) The market in which Komodo is entering is vastly different from the high-end market where the current Red lineup is and B) The camera market is changing very fast and even the higher-end lineup will face some competition from drastically cheaper options.

Looking at where the market is heading and looking at the performance of the mid-tier cameras (BMD, Z Cam etc.), I don't find it irrational to see that for anyone but the highest budget productions, it would be hard to justify a Red over the others if you are budget-minded. That's why I want Komodo to succeed in this market, it's a needed tier to exist in under the current status of the market.
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

I can't really contradict myself when I know nothing of what Komodo can do.
    Well .. you have more or less proclaimed that KOMODO will fail if XYZ specs don't match XYZ specs of the lower priced competition, right? Yet, you say " but actually judging the cameras by their own merits and working with the material in post gives a whole other perspective" ????

Dragon is a few years old yes, how about Arri's sensor? Point being that Red and Arri cameras still go for a lot compared to mid-tier cameras costing a fraction. And even if both Arri and Red is still performing better, others aren't that far behind anymore.
    Far behind?? Behind where RED was along time ago? You say that like RED is standing still. Sure seems to me like most camera companies - at least when you talk "specs" - are just catching up to where RED was while ago. Do you think for one split second that RED is not planning to announce their next gen camera some time after ARRI announces the specs of their new camera that they have already acknowledged?? Do you really think it will be ... ONLY 8K or less? KOMODO is NOT RED's new "flagship" camera. It's most likely an experiment for them. It's CERTAINLY is not going to dictate the success of the company.

The point I'm trying to communicate is that A) The market in which Komodo is entering is vastly different from the high-end market where the current Red lineup is and
    Agreed. 100%. And it's not going to have all the same features as a Gemini. And I don't think it is going to be what you think it should be or needs to be.

B) The camera market is changing very fast and even the higher-end lineup will face some competition from drastically cheaper options.
    That sound familiar. You mean like RED forcing SONY and ARRI to lower prices of their digital cinema cameras?

One thing that is 100% fact is that cameras will get less expensive, and also more powerful and image fidelity will increase. In 2-3 years we will be shooting movies on 100MP digital cinema cameras. And no, they won't be $6000. And yeah - next years cell phones will crush a lot of the video done on DSLRs for the web right now.

Looking at where the market is heading and looking at the performance of the mid-tier cameras (BMD, Z Cam etc.), I don't find it irrational to see that for anyone but the highest budget productions, it would be hard to justify a Red over the others if you are budget-minded.
    You see the BMD and Z Cam as "mid tier"?
    Mark L. Pederson