Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Closed Thread
Page 326 of 371 FirstFirst ... 226276316322323324325326327328329330336 ... LastLast
Results 3,251 to 3,260 of 3709
    Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hofmeyr View Post
    Hope I didn't come off as egocentric. Just giving my point of view - of course I too would like faster boot times. I was just pointing out that, if the power requirements are significantly reduced, boot time becomes much less of an issue for me personally.
    No no, meant more in a general term. There are many times when someone points out a good feature that would be nice to implement and then some write that they don't need it because of only their own type of work. Just added to what you wrote about having long boot times on Weapon.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

Quote Originally Posted by David Rasberry View Post
    Faster boot times are certainly desirable, but it would not change my general practice of leaving the camera on during a shoot until it goes back in its case.
    I’m hoping four fat BP batteries will cover 6 to 8 hours of on time.
    I'm hoping for a Canon to V-Lock adapter that enables long battery types for conditions when your camera size matters less, but still able to be stripped down for lightweight applications. Not sure if such already exists, but that would be a very good modular option.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

You could probably find a dtap for it and place the vmount plate on a rail system. But I agree :)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt stambaugh View Post
    You could probably find a dtap for it and place the vmount plate on a rail system. But I agree :)
    Maybe a rig that enables you to use canon batteries while having a V-lock in place to create a hot-swap using the canon batteries as a source when changing V-Locks.
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    No no, meant more in a general term. There are many times when someone points out a good feature that would be nice to implement and then some write that they don't need it because of only their own type of work. Just added to what you wrote about having long boot times on Weapon.
    Okay cool Christoffer.

Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    Maybe a rig that enables you to use canon batteries while having a V-lock in place to create a hot-swap using the canon batteries as a source when changing V-Locks.
    I think it would be pretty simple to run from the D-tap on your V-locks to the power input on Komodo. Then you can still use the canon batteries for hot swapping. But if it runs for hours and hours on a Canon BP, it can probably run for half a day on a large V-lock. If you only need to change batteries once or twice a day, hot swapping may not be necessary.

Nice to have little canon batteries on the camera when playing around with it... But then you need to add wireless video, FIZ, extra monitors etc. Then maybe canon batteries are not really the best option no matter how little juice the camera need. Try power a terradeck with a canon battery... So yes, dual canon to Vlock would be very handy.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    That's a copy pasta from my formatCompare tool comparing Komodo's sensor size with the Kodak 3-perf image plane, though uncredited *tears*.

Here you go:
    http://phfx.com/tools/formatCompare/...&focalLengths=

And yes, this is an entirely new RED sensor
    . So new it does new things too.
    [Emphasis added lol ]

This has got me thinking ,

Global shutter … OoooKaaaayyyy

hmmm.

Shoots RAW - uncompressed (maybe ?) * (shorter bursts) ----- > Why ?

'cuz sub pixel spatial accuracy is preserved or enhanced/ further improved ~ important for advanced composites/ VFX and 3d applications / vision systems / AR / VR etc. ~ Quasi original design intent (at one time ?) .

So maybe that falls back into the short bursts / stills type application also ?

+ makes better sense for advanced time code / genlock.

[Different architecture / memory structure and chip / sensor design to accomplish that.].

__________________________________________________ _____________________________

* RAW uncompressed (depending on scheme) as well as R3D / redcode

** Apologies if this has already been thrashed out.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________

A 25 year long equipment list / toy box of stuff that's waaaaaaay too long and too bizarre and obscure to mention (even here).

~ But the HYDROGENS I have kicking about the place could be "Handy" for a bit of reduced price KOMODO "Action" ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Lange View Post
    Speaking plainly / bluntly, folks that don't have camera manufactories (of their own) are kinda dependent on whether a company that does make sensors/ cameras / blocks has some sort of interest in their own technologies -especially in terms of follow through (in one form or another).
    Not really... fabs want clients, and clients with high margin products are always welcome, especially if they have the capacity. That's just simple business, but in semiconductor manufacturing it's better to have your fab capacity getting used even if it's for low margin chips because of the cost of letting all of that equipment sit idle, because they still have to maintain it... it's an expensive business. That's why AMD got out, and why Panasonic got out...

So hopefully KOMODO sensor tech has spin off / peripheral longer term (potential) applications inside the house of RED. I.e. at least being considered as a possibility rather than a total dead end (regardless)- as much as anyone on the inside has their own crystal balls well tuned etc. (as much as anyone can).
    The Komodo sensor has a lot of firsts for Red (plus a few firsts for the industry, like the switchable global/rolling shutter mode), which is leading to some compromises like the lower maximum frame rates as compared to its bigger brothers, so it's only logical to expect that what the design team will apply what it learned in the process to the next generation, meaning the successors to the Monstro, Helium, and Gemini sensors.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Rakesh Malik
    Director of Photography, Colorist
    http://WinterLight.studio
    http://www.imdb.me/rakeshmalik

Quote Originally Posted by Rakesh Malik View Post
    Not really... fabs want clients, and clients with high margin products are always welcome, especially if they have the capacity. That's just simple business, but in semiconductor manufacturing it's better to have your fab capacity getting used even if it's for low margin chips because of the cost of letting all of that equipment sit idle, because they still have to maintain it... it's an expensive business. That's why AMD got out, and why Panasonic got out...

The Komodo sensor has a lot of firsts for Red (plus a few firsts for the industry, like the switchable global/rolling shutter mode), which is leading to some compromises like the lower maximum frame rates as compared to its bigger brothers, so it's only logical to expect that what the design team will apply what it learned in the process to the next generation, meaning the successors to the Monstro, Helium, and Gemini sensors.
    What I'm getting at AS a third party developer that can integrate systems and products for KOMODO especially for advanced 3d (based) applications... (and beyond).

Having KOMODO be both the beginning and the END of a product capability and short lived would be kind of a "Bummer". And in part a waste of time and effort + $.

As the other RED cameras don't have a global shutter.

And no one from RED has chimed in to say "Yeah we are gonna keep working on global shuttered sensors for the foreseeable future".

Remember KOMODO exists originally from Jim Jannard and Hydrogen project ?

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________________

Is Venice not switchable from Global to regular scan and back ? Is it either or as ordered ?
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________

A 25 year long equipment list / toy box of stuff that's waaaaaaay too long and too bizarre and obscure to mention (even here).

~ But the HYDROGENS I have kicking about the place could be "Handy" for a bit of reduced price KOMODO "Action" ;-)