Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Closed Thread
Page 309 of 371 FirstFirst ... 209259299305306307308309310311312313319359 ... LastLast
Results 3,081 to 3,090 of 3709
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rasberry View Post
    Somewhere way back in this thread Jarred said that Komodo was designed primarily as a small drone/gimbal/crash companion camera for the DSMC models and he would consider it a success even if it was only purchased by current Red owners.
    The adaptation for smart phone support was added late for the Hydrogen project which kind of broadened it's program scope.
    But I think we can all see it will have broad appeal far beyond that initial stated design purpose. There are so many great new features on this little jewel even if it is compromised in some ways compared to its more expensive brethren
    Actually that's pretty helpful (thanks @David Rasberry) , as I wasn't quite sure about the time lines and rationale(s).

So if I understand what you are saying (broad strokes , without taking things too literally),

KOMODO was originally designed as a smaller high quality crash / gimbal/ drone / other rigs of every kind - "cam" .

AND HYDROGEN came later than KOMODO ?

So at no time did KOMODO have on the drawing-board HYDROGEN "Like" applications (in mind during it's inception) ? -Also taking into account HYDROGEN and KOMODO as ideas to roll out have probably been on their own respective drawing boards for quite a number of years (at least). So how project time lines and development paths intertwine or find themselves repurposed may or may not be super clear … ? OR is it pretty clear KOMODO was very much it's own thing from the beginning ?

So seemingly from the Jarred quote/ statement + (not reading to much into things disclaimer :-) .) ---> The production capacity for KOMODO may not be that "Massive" (in terms of scale of manufacturing), and the stated goals for KOMODO are set at a slightly more modest level to initially accomplish, and yet be a pretty substantial technical achievement in of itself.

Just sticking a finger in the wind trying to get a handle on whether KOMODO is possibly the beginnings of a NEW set of technologies (high quality global shuttered CAMs you can blow up if you want + INDY applications ) rather than KOMODO being a unique and useful one-off line ?

But I think we can all see it will have broad appeal far beyond that initial stated design purpose

For sure ^^^, especially if multiple cameras can be precisely synched, then a lot can be done with KOMODO to knock a big hole sideways into other industries / digital arts .
    Last edited by Eric Lange; 01-06-2020 at 07:35 PM. Reason: disambiguate "Nerd like" applications cams
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________

A 25 year long equipment list / toy box of stuff that's waaaaaaay too long and too bizarre and obscure to mention (even here).

~ But the HYDROGENS I have kicking about the place could be "Handy" for a bit of reduced price KOMODO "Action" ;-)

[QUOTE=David Rasberry;1881839]Somewhere way back in this thread Jarred said that Komodo was designed primarily as a small drone/gimbal/crash companion camera for the DSMC models and he would consider it a success even if it was only purchased by current Red owners.
    The adaptation for smart phone support was added late for the Hydrogen project which kind of broadened it's program scope.
    But I think we can all see it will have broad appeal far beyond that initial stated design purpose. There are so many great new features on this little jewel even if it is compromised in some ways compared to its more expensive brethren[/QUOTE
    I agree, with 4K out(maybe UHD as well) this could go into the broadcast market, especially sports. I think as long as the camera stays cool it seems like a no brainer. I plan on getting two and using them for travel.
    James Bridges
    Scarlet #651 "Maggie"
    www.typeamedia.com

3.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Somewhere way back in this thread Jarred said that Komodo was designed primarily as a small drone/gimbal/crash companion camera for the DSMC models and he would consider it a success even if it was only purchased by current Red owners.
    But I think we can all see it will have broad appeal far beyond that initial stated design purpose. There are so many great new features on this little jewel even if it is compromised in some ways compared to its more expensive brethren
    Yup... and you are probably right.

Remember I created the RAVEN for a specific application as well.. Raven was supposed to be a small market lighter/cheaper camera for use on drones ( hence the name Raven ) but that camera quickly turned into an A camera darling for a lot of independents and side markets. It's becoming pretty apparent that Komodo is following the same path ... before it's even released.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    Yup... and you are probably right.

Remember I created the RAVEN for a specific application as well.. Raven was supposed to be a small market lighter/cheaper camera for use on drones ( hence the name Raven ) but that camera quickly turned into an A camera darling for a lot of independents and side markets. It's becoming pretty apparent that Komodo is following the same path ... before it's even released.
    I'm seriously considering it as an A-cam for wildlife filming. I can live with the slower max frame rates (I seldom shoot over 50fps anyhow) and the lower weight and power requirements will make all the difference in remote locations.

Any chance you can give me an idea of the odds of one being ready for me by mid-feb? I am a Hydrogen owner so I will presumably be near the front of the queue. Heading to the Central Kalahari and Makgadikgadi in Botswana and would love to test the Komodo in some extremely hot and wet conditions.

Komodo will be a gateway drug to the RED ecosystem like the scarlet was.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gundu View Post
    Komodo will be a gateway drug to the RED ecosystem like the scarlet was.
    Good morning ,

Yup,*

BUT

KOMODO can do things that the other cameras can't right now.

1. Global shutter

2. Form factor (being narrower at the shoulder) ~ Being pretty critical for some applications i.e. the other RED cameras and other cameras from other manufacturers are too wide for.

3. Formfactor and weight. 2lbs -super helpful. + CofG characteristics (as folks have already mentioned).

4. Formfactor and the way it's been engineered and how you can (potentially) grab the thing for more rigid and precise imaging applications.

5. Electronics and synchronization ability ???? (multiple cameras ?) [don't know can't say here or other pathways that have SDKs or can be "Hacked" ?.]

So for certain application areas it's KOMODO or nothing (i.e. not a gateway but a stopping point/ one of kind from the RED ecosystem (at the moment). ).

~ Wondering about capacity as I've said before RED should be able to sell these by the truck load ?

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________

* Scarlet was amazing (for me) as it was an actual EPIC but a slow Epic (I was super jazzed), a lot of people weren't but I couldn't believe my luck. [Difficult to achieve what RED set out to do for Scarlet initially (at that time) and the compromise of a slower frame rate EPIC was very generous and very helpful indeed. ].

Having a well engineered minimal "Black box" type cam RED style with Global shutter capability and very decent DR and color space (imagery for grown ups) - has thousands of applications. [Assuming there are ways to talk to multiple cameras etc. at once. ].
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________

A 25 year long equipment list / toy box of stuff that's waaaaaaay too long and too bizarre and obscure to mention (even here).

~ But the HYDROGENS I have kicking about the place could be "Handy" for a bit of reduced price KOMODO "Action" ;-)

A low cost sidehandle with good start stop button and a focus rocker together with a loupe for the built in screen... With a 50mm internal focus lens that would be a kick ass sniper rifle to compliment weapon. And yes, a really good gyro, like dji good would be a game changer.

AXIS is ready for it and can allready read komodo files. ;)

www.syndicate.se/axis
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    A low cost sidehandle with good start stop button and a focus rocker together with a loupe for the built in screen... With a 50mm internal focus lens that would be a kick ass sniper rifle to compliment weapon. And yes, a really good gyro, like dji good would be a game changer.

AXIS is ready for it and can allready read komodo files. ;)

www.syndicate.se/axis
    Dumb question here:

Can high resolution encoder data be written real time to meta data space for Komodo or is that data stored/ synched separately and munged back together later on in post etc ?

For some encoders pretty high bandwidth is required.

Axis looks cool / potentially useful / easy to integrate with.

You guys already considering it you A cam without seeing a frame of footage? lol

I'm very excited to hear the specs, and more importunely see some footage. I'm sure it will be a beast

Quote Originally Posted by David Dominguez View Post
    You guys already considering it you A cam without seeing a frame of footage? lol
    Sure. It would be great to see some footage, and I'm sure that will happen soon. But even if the IQ is only on par with my current camera (Dragon), it still makes a lot of sense to me for the price, power requirements, global shutter, non-proprietary media, RF mount, and small form factor.