Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Closed Thread
Page 148 of 371 FirstFirst ... 4898138144145146147148149150151152158198248 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,480 of 3709
    Quote Originally Posted by Bastien Tribalat View Post
    TO ME, the whole "it's not an A-Cam" thing is hinting at drone/gimbal work. Like others have said on this very forum, Arri had the same marketing messages about the Alexa Mini when they released it. It didn't stop anyone from using it as an A-Cam and now the Alex LF marketing campain kinda dropped the gimbal/drone message for a more "compact versatile tool". At least to me.
    +1.

The language about A-Cam comes from the Hollywood style of doing things. That workflow is typically better suited with those kinds of camera bodies, e.g. Ranger, Alexa, DXL2, etc. I'm confident the image quality will be plenty good enough for "A-Cam" pictures; we've been in this territory for years. But Komodo is not a Ranger, I think that's all RED is saying.

If we look at Komodo in the context of Ranger, are we seeing a general move away from the modular DSMC concept to more self contained and potentially more economical to produce camera systems?
    How does the price of a Ranger compare with a comparable DSMC brain fitted out with modules to match the functionality?
    Komodo is reducing system costs with open market media support, economical battery solution, and the minimum necessary interfaces to support common third party options.

Quote Originally Posted by David Rasberry View Post
    If we look at Komodo in the context of Ranger, are we seeing a general move away from the modular DSMC concept to more self contained and potentially more economical to produce camera systems?
    How does the price of a Ranger compare with a comparable DSMC brain fitted out with modules to match the functionality?
    Komodo is reducing system costs with open market media support, economical battery solution, and the minimum necessary interfaces to support common third party options.
    A RANGER is slightly cheaper than buying the corresponding brain and modules separatly. RANGER GEMINI for example costs $24,950 and DSMC2 GEMINI brain + Production Kit cost around $26,000.

I was asking kinda the same question you do a while back in this thread because I have the same feeling and the general consensus seems to be that no, they are not moving away from the DSMC concept. So my guess is they will be slowly phasing out a big part of the DSMC2 line to make room for an upcoming DSMC3. But then again, DSMC2, especially MONSTRO and GEMINI, are very popular products and it's hard to imagine RED moving away from the modular camera philosophy.

The thing is the sort of "target audience". I'm sure we can all agree/understand that the advantage of the modular systems is that it can be smaller and cheaper to buy since you can build the cameras up for your actual needs. For example, if you're a one man shooter of commercials but want to use a RED, you may not need a module with SDI outs and stuff.
    BUT the downside is that when you start to add modules and accessories to make the cameras usable in some sort of traditional cinema shooting envirronement it starts to look like a big mess (or, as some of us french like to say : it's making the cameras look life bazookas) of cables and stuff so then a RANGER body seems more logical.
    Another point : as Jarred hinted somewhere in this thread, the Canon RF mount (or any mirrorless camera mount in that case) has the huge advantage to be adaptable to almost everything (especially PL) while not having to play (and mess ? :p) the flange distance while changing mounts. Will DSMC3 also come standard with the Canon RF Mount ?

In conclusion : I have no clue at all
    Last edited by Bastien Tribalat; 09-28-2019 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Added the last paragraph before the conclusion
    VIDEO EDITING - COLOR GRADING - VFX
    APPLE FINAL CUT PRO, AVID MEDIA COMPOSER
    ADOBE CREATIVE CLOUD, DAVINCI RESOLVE, REDCINE X PRO...

Has there been any indication that Komodo will have a control port?

The Small HD Cine 7 with just introduced RED Camera Control is being marketed as compatible with DSMC2.
    Could be a valuable part of a Komodo kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian F Kobylarz View Post
    Has there been any indication that Komodo will have a control port?

The Small HD Cine 7 with just introduced RED Camera Control is being marketed as compatible with DSMC2.
    Could be a valuable part of a Komodo kit.
    As of right now, here the only ports that we know of :
    - SDI Out
    - Lemo Power Connector
    - Headphone Jack
    - 3.5mm Mic Input
    - EXT Port...

So maybe the EXT port would be the droid you're looking for ?

A RANGER is slightly cheaper than buying the corresponding brain and modules separatly. RANGER GEMINI for example costs $24,950 and DSMC2 GEMINI brain + Production Kit cost around $26,000.

I was asking kinda the same question you do a while back in this thread because I have the same feeling and the general consensus seems to be that no, they are not moving away from the DSMC concept. So my guess is they will be slowly phasing out a big part of the DSMC2 line to make room for an upcoming DSMC3. But then again, DSMC2, especially MONSTRO and GEMINI, are very popular products and it's hard to imagine RED moving away from the modular camera philosophy.

The thing is the sort of "target audience". I'm sure we can all agree/understand that the advantage of the modular systems is that it can be smaller and cheaper to buy since you can build the cameras up for your actual needs. For example, if you're a one man shooter of commercials but want to use a RED, you may not need a module with SDI outs and stuff.
    BUT the downside is that when you start to add modules and accessories to make the cameras usable in some sort of traditional cinema shooting envirronement it starts to look like a big mess (or, as some of us french like to say : it's making the cameras look life bazookas) of cables and stuff so then a RANGER body seems more logical.
    Another point : as Jarred hinted somewhere in this thread, the Canon RF mount (or any mirrorless camera mount in that case) has the huge advantage to be adaptable to almost everything (especially PL) while not having to play (and mess ? :p) the flange distance while changing mounts. Will DSMC3 also come standard with the Canon RF Mount ?

In conclusion : I have no clue at all
    Not suggesting that Red has any intentions of abandoning DSMC modular systems. Seems like they are expanding options to explore new market potentials that DSMC is overkill for. Speaking strictly about how cameras are rigged and accessorized, not about IQ or performance.

Does it have a Single card or Dual card slots?
    If it doesn’t have two slots... i can imagine, how Komodo reviews are going to be on youtube.
    UDay Bhaskar Karra
    -----------------------
    EPIC-X02970 || Leica R 28mm F2.8 , 35mm F2 , 50mm F2 , 90mm F2 , 35-70mm F4 , 80-200mm F4

Quote Originally Posted by Uday Bhaskar Karra View Post
    Does it have a Single card or Dual card slots?
    If it doesn’t have two slots... i can imagine, how Komodo reviews are going to be on youtube.
    I totally know what you mean and in a way I kinda agree with those reviews... But to my knowledge, Alexas also have the one slot and I don't see them reviewers whining about it :p

I totally know what you mean and in a way I kinda agree with those reviews... But to my knowledge, Alexas also have the one slot and I don't see them reviewers whining about it :p
    There is so much negative propaganda going on about RED on internet... i don’t know if someone started a #HateRED campaign or something like that...

Not having a secondary slot will add extra fuel to that campaign. Also the pricing of Komodo would put that into high end Mirrorless segment and there would be direct comparisons.

RED may have done their market research already and they may have plan to handle this...
    UDay Bhaskar Karra
    -----------------------
    EPIC-X02970 || Leica R 28mm F2.8 , 35mm F2 , 50mm F2 , 90mm F2 , 35-70mm F4 , 80-200mm F4

Quote Originally Posted by Uday Bhaskar Karra View Post
    There is so much negative propaganda going on about RED on internet... i don’t know if someone started a #HateRED campaign or something like that...

Not having a secondary slot will add extra fuel to that campaign. Also the pricing of Komodo would put that into high end Mirrorless segment and there would be direct comparisons.

RED may have done their market research already and they may have plan to handle this...
    Well, when you shoot on analog film you don't have to rolls of film at the same time and everyone's OK with that right ?