Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Reply to Thread
Page 180 of 180 FirstFirst ... 80130170176177178179180
Results 1,791 to 1,797 of 1797
    Quote Originally Posted by Hrvoje Simic View Post
    Touchscreens and sensors have nothing to do with processing potential. Older phones with significantly lower processing capacity are powerful enough for real time UHD debayer, image transformation, filters/FX, compression and recording, with parallel image analysis (multiple face and shape recognition, tracking etc). While doing a bunch of other stuff under the hood.
    Sure. I get that - I should have explained my point was that with so many users experiencing external issues, and the OS being older (and, I presume, more vulnerable), those things might be cause for concern of pushing the H1, a phone that didn't meet the Hydrogen team's expectations due to ODM failings

I won't be surprised if Hydrogen simply disappears and RED gives some sort of Komodo discount to owners to ease the sting. It really would not make sense -- for Komodo -- to offer a phone monitoring solution that only works on a phone that almost nobody owns. At the same time, if they offer the same monitoring to all phone types then Hydrogen owners will continue to wonder who moved their cheese. RED should just pull the Hydrogen band-aid off the rest of the way and move on.

Pre-H it seemed like there was a likely RED M&A event about to happen but if that was ever the case, it seems dead now.

Quote Originally Posted by Med D View Post
    I won't be surprised if Hydrogen simply disappears and RED gives some sort of Komodo discount to owners to ease the sting. It really would not make sense -- for Komodo -- to offer a phone monitoring solution that only works on a phone that almost nobody owns. At the same time, if they offer the same monitoring to all phone types then Hydrogen owners will continue to wonder who moved their cheese. RED should just pull the Hydrogen band-aid off the rest of the way and move on.

Pre-H it seemed like there was a likely RED M&A event about to happen but if that was ever the case, it seems dead now.
    Any Android phone will work as well.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Med D View Post

This makes no sense and certainly is not the way Red and Jannard roll. Komodo is designed to interface directly with Hydrogen for supplemental processing capabilities that don't exist within the camera. Between Komodo and Hydrogen you are looking at millions in investment that won't be abandoned because of minor design and execution defects with H1 all of which are addressable with H2. Komodo and Hydrogen are too interdependent for important operating features to be abandoned.

There was a period in the development of Red One where they were at the alpha test stage for complete cameras. They were only a few months from product release when they found a flaw in the sensor itself. That required a redesign and complete new sensor fabrication as well as starting over with the whole calibration and testing process. It set them back nearly a year.

There was a lot of negativity during this period, some calling the whole thing a scam. But Red One did become a ground breaking immensely successful camera. Red Digital Cinema is now one of the top three ranked camera systems in the high end professional market.

Anyone who has followed Red and Jannard over the last 15 years understands that he does not give up his pursuit of a concept because of a few setbacks. He also doesn’t make the same mistakes twice.

Hydrogen as an exceptional smart phone that is your primary carry everywhere, do everything prosumer level media device exists because Jim wants one for himself, not because he wants to take over the consumer mass phone market. That is why I know there will be an H2 and it will solve all the shortcomings that frustrate H1 owners, because Jim is at least as frustrated with them as anybody and he has a lot more skin in the game.

Of course he would like the product and the venture to prosper. The Hydrogen concept obviously has broad appeal. It is also technically feasible if devilishly challenging from an engineering standpoint. Jannard’s long term success record with such premium products is exceptional though.

Quote Originally Posted by David Rasberry View Post
    This makes no sense and certainly is not the way Red and Jannard roll. Komodo is designed to interface directly with Hydrogen for supplemental processing capabilities that don't exist within the camera. Between Komodo and Hydrogen you are looking at millions in investment that won't be abandoned because of minor design and execution defects with H1 all of which are addressable with H2. Komodo and Hydrogen are too interdependent for important operating features to be abandoned.
    THAT makes sense. It's what I'd expect, and it's very akin to how Red got started making cameras. Its first ones had lots of issues and Red didn't let that stop it then, why would it let the first Hydrogen's tepid success hold it back now?
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Rakesh Malik
    Director of Photography, Colorist
    http://WinterLight.studio
    http://www.imdb.me/rakeshmalik

Quote Originally Posted by David Rasberry View Post
    Sure, but Red HAS made things that have either never been released (Meizler module, although that was later integrated into other products), or were made and they never really furthered them even though there were plans to (like REDRay).

You can look at this list of products RED won't support or repair anymore: https://support.red.com/hc/en-us/art...inued-Products

Those things were all time and millions in investment. I don't think Komodo would be so dependent on a phone that didn't really sell well to begin with - I'm not sure how many REDusers own an H1 (or kept theirs). Again, with all of the bad press out there on the phone lacking and having issues, I don't think it seems wise that RED would put all of their eggs into the H1 basket for Komodo to really perform.

Quote Originally Posted by BrendanLeahy View Post
    Sure, but Red HAS made things that have either never been released (Meizler module, although that was later integrated into other products), or were made and they never really furthered them even though there were plans to (like REDRay).

You can look at this list of products RED won't support or repair anymore: https://support.red.com/hc/en-us/art...inued-Products

Those things were all time and millions in investment. I don't think Komodo would be so dependent on a phone that didn't really sell well to begin with - I'm not sure how many REDusers own an H1 (or kept theirs). Again, with all of the bad press out there on the phone lacking and having issues, I don't think it seems wise that RED would put all of their eggs into the H1 basket for Komodo to really perform.
    Ending support for obsolete products, for which original parts no longer exist is not the same thing as abandoning an entire brand and business over minor issues with the first generation.
    Did Samsung quit making phones because Galaxy 7's literally went up in flames and were banned from airplanes?

There is a quote from Thomas Edison posted on the walls of our local GE plant regarding his attempts to make the first commercially viable light bulb: " I have not failed 10,000 times. I have discovered 10,000 ways that won't work"