Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Closed Thread
Page 333 of 371 FirstFirst ... 233283323329330331332333334335336337343 ... LastLast
Results 3,321 to 3,330 of 3709
    Quote Originally Posted by Colton John McLaughlin View Post
    I’m sorry but your question doesn’t make sense. I’m not talking about luxury commodity of cameras. I’m not comparing to stills cameras. I’m just stating a fact. The Komodo is RF mount and does not have the ability to swap mounts, you can only add adapters. The DSMC2 lineup has interchangeable lens mounts, and the EF mount has an additional locking ring. These are facts, they don’t quantify if a camera is “cine” or “still”.

Obviously the Komodo is a CINEMA camera. It just has an RF mount that does not include an additional locking ring. This is just because it doesn’t necessarily need one. We saw Jarreds post with that huge anamorphic lens and it seems to do just fine without it.
    How many cinema lenses have RF mount?
    How do you Know it doesn't need a locking mount? From experience working with cinema optics, adapters, and photo mounts?
    That picture with huge anamorphic lens is how somebody will use camera on set?
    If so many people talk about this camera as gimbal camera, they will use photo optics?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    I can answer this question with the rather obvious answer.

Komodo is a super compact and affordable cinema camera. It's pretty much in the description right there.

In the case of Komodo, since it's so damn small, many will try to use that to their advantage with native RF glass which isn't very heavy and if you need more robust lens mounts you have options. If you slug a fixed PL mount on there, you we be looking at a longer and heavier camera system. And it would be rad if their were user interchangeable mounts, but again you are getting into a place where the camera gets bigger and more expensive. That's where lens adapters come in. And if there was some sort of radical new design to create a locking RF mount, which might happen one day, it would require a radical new design and likely add a smidge of weight and certainly cost into the equation.

You will have the option to go from RF to virtually anything. And you will be able to securely mount or PL, EF, R, L, FD, OM, M654, H645, or whatever adapters. Pretty much everything except for Z or E Mount lenses.

It's very important to be aware that RED is doing everything it can to release a camera at this price point: $,$$$. Not $$,$$$. And also keep the camera the smallest and lightest weight package possible.

*edit, Colton gets it.
    Phil days ago, you promised to show Komodo in cinema configuration with PL glass. Something like with radio focus.

You see cinema cameras are like racing cars, very specific beasts. Not every car can be competitive on a track. Don't tell there will be no comparisons to the counterparts. Still cameras are not Komodo will be compared to.
    RF gives variants, but is it so much steadier than EF. BlackMagic 6K, Sony Alfas, Canon 5D can have some play with adapters to PL when you put radio focus on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    It's very important to be aware that RED is doing everything it can to release a camera at this price point: $,$$$. Not $$,$$$. And also keep the camera the smallest and lightest weight package possible.
    Why not to have two variants RF and PL ? Be it- PL will cost more, but it will be easily "rentable", will use a lot of beautiful optics without breaking head how it will react to movement and so on.
    I see only pluses for uses and for Red if there will be two options.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Stolpakov View Post
    Why not to have two variants RF and PL ? Be it- PL will cost more, but it will be easily "rentable", will use a lot of beautiful optics without breaking head how it will react to movement and so on.
    I see only pluses for uses and for Red if there will be two options.
    A hard mount PL will only be PL. A Hard mount RF can be whatever. I think what you're asking for is most likely in the DSMC3 realm.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gundu View Post
    A hard mount PL will only be PL. A Hard mount RF can be whatever. I think what you're asking for is most likely in the DSMC3 realm.
    A Hard mount RF can be whatever--- with workarounds, don't you got tired to hear that "some"cameras need workarounds.
    DSMC3 will be more than Komodo with PL. I hope.
    So why not give a chance for PL uses to choose PL variant? And for anybody who feel need in changing mounts RF?
    Last edited by Alex Stolpakov; 01-15-2020 at 02:12 PM.

A Hard mount RF can be whatever--- with workarounds, don't you got tired to hear that "some"cameras need workarounds.
    So why not give a chance for PL uses to choose PL variant? And for anybody who feel need in changing mounts RF?
    I really don't feel it's a workaround at all--think of it like the Sony FZ mount. It's just that instead of only taking adapters, it can also take lenses, enabling small setups.

Is your concern just the pure strength of the mount? It doesn't matter what the mount is, at some point, you're going to need a lens support anyway.
    MadlyFX Special Effects
    Chicago, IL
    IMDb
    andy@madlyfx.com

There are so many PL mount options for you, including all of REDs previous cameras, DSMC1 and DSMC2, all ARRI, some black magic, Sony, canon etc. The Komodo might not be right for you.

The thing is, Komodo does have the ability to use PL lenses and it does give you a chance. Using adapters is not “a workaround” at least not for many people. For me it’s a blessing. I can use my PL lenses, RF, EF, MD, M42, FD etc. Use a lens support on the mount adapter and you’re all good!

Photo optics are so good these days that you can definitely use them on cinema projects, albeit for more indie projects, but films like mad max use canon L lenses for their crash cams. Remember, Komodo is a crash and gimbal cam that has autofocus. Why develop autofocus for a camera then not have a native mount that allows for it to be used?

Hey Jarred,
    Any chance to have the option of using the new GDU batteries?
    James Bridges
    Scarlet #651 "Maggie"
    www.typeamedia.com

All my lenses are PL and I don't have an issue with an adapter. I don't understand what the big deal is. A lightweight cage usually have a securing point for the adapter anyway which make it an extension of the camera.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Colton John McLaughlin View Post
    There are so many PL mount options for you, including all of REDs previous cameras, DSMC1 and DSMC2, all ARRI, some black magic, Sony, canon etc. The Komodo might not be right for you.

The thing is, Komodo does have the ability to use PL lenses and it does give you a chance. Using adapters is not “a workaround” at least not for many people. For me it’s a blessing. I can use my PL lenses, RF, EF, MD, M42, FD etc. Use a lens support on the mount adapter and you’re all good!

Photo optics are so good these days that you can definitely use them on cinema projects, albeit for more indie projects, but films like mad max use canon L lenses for their crash cams. Remember, Komodo is a crash and gimbal cam that has autofocus. Why develop autofocus for a camera then not have a native mount that allows for it to be used?
    DO you reed ?
    Why not to have TWO mounts? Buy RF or PL as you please.
    About Mad Max and L series is a speculation.
    And what is the idea that on gimbal you don't need to pool focus.
    Last edited by Alex Stolpakov; 01-15-2020 at 02:58 PM.