Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Closed Thread
Page 344 of 371 FirstFirst ... 244294334340341342343344345346347348354 ... LastLast
Results 3,431 to 3,440 of 3709
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    Scaling Raw is better than uprezzing but it still has it's downsides.

Shooting images at the best quality is always what you should do.. obviously.

I understand that people want easy..... and to save disk space... and they just want the fastest process/export possible.

REDcode kind of takes care of the disk space issue.

For faster/easier processing... I'm sure many of you have noticed more and more recently us up on stage at AMD and NVIDIA hijacking hardware launches as well as investing a lot of time and resources with APPLE and various PC hardware companies ..... Which I am sure to all the gamers in the audience must seem weird to have a guy that makes cameras yapping about stuff they don't care about, but we are there supporting and pushing the guys that make the chips to go bigger and faster , as well as making software to push what we all do to realtime and beyond. And that seems to be working.

So..punchline.... shoot the biggest, best footage you can. We are working hard to make sure as we push pixels to the extreme that we also push the backend to make sure that things get easier and easier.

So interested in how the image of Komodo compare to helium which I love but to the naked eye. Helium is so high res looking but perhaps as Soderberg said Komodo replaces the DSMC2 for some. Image quality though a comparison between helium and Komodo I am fascinated to see or hear about from the Boss.

Sorry for going off topic, folks [this post is about the Nikon Z6].

Quote Originally Posted by Gediminas Vansevicius View Post
    Have you tested this? So far just one guy claiming it's so without proper tests, using monitor for resolution charts... It would seem very very stupid for Nikon to attempt something like this after all prores RAW waiting and hype. Would show their complete misunderstanding of the video shooters' needs. Which of course is a posibility...
    Well, it was too late at night, I meant to type "downsampled" which is what Karim was talking about, not "line-skipped." That's confirmed; the sensor is 6048 pixels wide but the UHD 4K isn't windowed.

But I also saw the blog post you're talking about and I agree the methodology wasn't sufficient to tell us the *quality* of that downsampling (or whether there's also line-skipping).

Jarred, I wish you guys could put a gyro sensor in Komodo as precise (or better) like the gopros have inside to smooth the image with a plugin like realsteady go. Than we could use it with the stabilization software Björn developing for r3d files. Or maybe it would be implemented it to the sdk.

4.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Saxon View Post
    Sorry for going off topic, folks.

That's confirmed; the sensor is 6048 pixels wide
    confirmed by whom?

5.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Kelly Brown View Post
    If your looking for a simular mount that will probably be 1/4 the cost of the upcoming GDU one and be more functional because it goes up down and left right check out this one from smallrig: https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-sw...SAAEgITpvD_BwE

I use it on my 7in ultrabright (the one without the mount built in) and it works amazingly well for how small and light it is. Perfect for mounting to camera or gimbal.

Honestly I am still a bit mystified that the Komodo wont be able to use red touch monitors. I am sure there is a reason for this, I just wish it was not true. I love the 7in ultra-bright so much, best camera upgrade I think I have ever made.
    Yes, the Smallrig monitor mount is pretty awesome I have a couple of them. It wont really fit onto komodo properly with it's current mounting base but I am sure ( at least I hope ) they will make a version for Komodo.

I already explained the monitor situation and why Komodo will not work aprox 75 pages ago ;)

QUOTE=Lee Saxon;1883294]Sorry for going off topic, folks.

That's confirmed; the sensor is 6048 pixels wide[/QUOTE]

confirmed by whom?
    lol. That's a hilarious resolution number.

It's tricky guys and I know there's over 3400 posts in this thread, but if you sift through the grains of sandy posts you'll find actually really good info.

Komodo 6K Resolution, confirmed from the Fire Chief, 6K FF = 6144x3240

And yes, that's 6K FF DCI Aspect Ratio, huzzah!

And if you're curious about how big a format size that is, here is Komodo's max format/resolution compared against Super 35mm 3-Perf Film:
    http://phfx.com/tools/formatCompare/...&focalLengths=

There is some relevance here to the maximum image circle and Super 35mm and APS-C lens coverage, this max format size on Komodo will be "very compatible" with all lenses designed for those formats. Sort of a similar reason why I shot so much at 5.5K FF on Dragon as this image circle is very S35 friendly.

And actually, because I mentioned that, and I think lots will be using Komodo in tandem with other cameras RED makes, here's really close formats for each of the current sensors and Komodo's max res:

Monstro and Dragon have the same pixel pitch, 5.5K FF is a hair larger than Komodo's 6K FF:

Helium features a smaller pixel size, but is higher resolution at this format. 7.5K FF is a hair larger than Komodo 6K FF:

Gemini has bigger pixels than Komodo, so 4.5K FF is a bit larger than Komodo 6K FF:

Those are indeed the closest format sizes to Komodo's max res. And it's notable to pay attention to the max frame rates found there too.

Monstro and Dragon 5.5K FF Max FPS = about 88 fps
    Helium 7.5K Max FPS = about 64 fps
    Gemini 4.5K FF = 108 fps

I don't know if we know the exact max FPS of Komodo, but I'm expecting all current DSMC2 bodies to deliver higher frame rates at the approximate format size. And of course you can sneak down a bit resolution to increase your FPS a bit too.

And for the Alexa crowd, Komodo at 6K FF will be a smidge less wide than Alexa and Alexa Mini Open Gate (not LF):

I've also talked to a few FX9 and C500 MK II about Komodo in the last few weeks.

Komodo 6K FF is larger than the DCI 4K format on the FX9, but smaller than the 5K DCI res:

And for C500 MK II peeps, Komodo 6K FF is a bit larger than 4K 17:9:

Based on all the questions I answered about it even recently at the ASC Open House, it's pretty clear the smallness of Komodo has attracted many eyes. A few people were shocked when I mentioned it had a Global Shutter. Once it's closer to release I'll do my best to get "nailed down specs" pretty and out in the wild.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    I repeat my assertion that Super 35 isn't going anywhere. Komodo is yet one more reason for thinking that.

Vistavision is a valid complement to other formats, but has no practical use outside of 6-8K acquisition. Another valid application is shooting in very low light, but Gemini fixes that. But seriously: S35 is the wiser choice for 80%+ of projects.

Trying to apply film paradigms to digital is not smart.
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | Martini Ultra (blog)

Quote Originally Posted by Karim D. Ghantous View Post
    I repeat my assertion that Super 35 isn't going anywhere. Komodo is yet one more reason for thinking that.

Vistavision is a valid complement to other formats, but has no practical use outside of 6-8K acquisition. Another valid application is shooting in very low light, but Gemini fixes that. But seriously: S35 is the wiser choice for 80%+ of projects.

Trying to apply film paradigms to digital is not smart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karim D. Ghantous View Post
    Trying to apply film paradigms to digital is not smart
    ^^^ I'm not really sure about the use of the word "Paradigm " in this context but then I started thinking about all the movies that I wish had been on shot on 35 mm THEN I stumbled across this :

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls069286874/

^^^ Sorta random list of movies shot (in some cases predominantly) on 16 mm … [Some pretty major titles there.].

I was really shocked , if you click on the individual movie then click on technical details gives you deeper break down of how 16 mm was used on a particular production (stock and laboratories and process) + internegs and so on.

Should be kind of encouraging to young film makers to be able to shoot on KOMODO and kinda go toe to toe with S-35 mm (3 perf) film (even though Kodak has improved some resolving capability for various stocks over the past 15 years or so ~ although not convinced about their current "eye" for color and contrast in all cases.)

* Funny I was on Phil's website for at least an hour the other day running every format comparison I could think of (I usually I do that by hand with a calculator so nice to run through all those permutations on line.). Really convenient and useful tool and interface.

^^^ Komodo vs 16 mm. (on Phil H's site).
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________

A 25 year long equipment list / toy box of stuff that's waaaaaaay too long and too bizarre and obscure to mention (even here).

~ But the HYDROGENS I have kicking about the place could be "Handy" for a bit of reduced price KOMODO "Action" ;-)

Heh heh you never know. I've heard " Arri would never " a lot over the years.

I remember when we released the Red One with that crazy monster EVF and Arri had the D-20 optical finder and it was " Arri only makes cameras with optical finders" Until they didn't and switched to EVF.

And when we released the Monochrome sensor it was " you can just desaturate the Alexa color image to get the same... " but you couldn't and a year later they made a monochrome sensor.

And when we released the Epic it was " Arri would never make a mini Alexa box like the Epic as that's not what real cinematographers want " until they did.

And when we made Fincher's camera with all the built in wireless " Arri would never do such a silly thing. " until they did.

And you know the whole Arri campaign " 2k is enough "..... until it wasn't .

Arri isn't dumb... they eventually respond and when they respond they do it very well, and probably even smarter they usually always just sit back and wait for the dust to settle after we blindly trailblaze haphazardly through the weeds pretending to know the future...
    This might be one of my favorite post ever.

And by the way we all use to use what ever camer we needed until RED. And then we did.
    Epic Forged Monstro (Camera 101)
    Epic X (Tribal)
    mindsetmedia@mac.com
    https://vimeo.com/user4448312
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/russfill/

confirmed by whom?
    Wasn’t Lee referring to the Z6? So presumably by Nikon.