Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Closed Thread
Page 324 of 371 FirstFirst ... 224274314320321322323324325326327328334 ... LastLast
Results 3,231 to 3,240 of 3709
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan VerKuilen View Post
    I've been lurking on this thread since it's conception.

I migrated here from H4Vuser I have to say I am super impressed with what is being teased.

Hydrogen is still a wild ride; excited to see it paired with my komodo in a few months.

One thing I don't see much discussion on anymore is a Stills mode for Komodo. Any chance that is still canon?

Greatly looking forward to all of the news in the next few weeks, you have me at the edge of my seat :)
    [Emphasis added.].

Also ~ take 2...

At the time there was more than ample suggestions from Team Red and associates for a larger sensor for h4V type acquisition / applications future road-mapped cameras (plural). + other potential markets / different camera designs.

In that sense a camera that would shoot short bursts but large sensor size (almost like the smallest Medium Format Camera's sensors out there. ).

If remember rightly DJI when they bought Hasselblad were talking about a large MF type sensor that might be able to window a long burst and be flyable on a drone ? [Don't know what happened to that ?].

So for KOMODO the sensor is 6K in one dimension what is it in the other dimension right now ? [Is there a "Firm" on the other dimension ?" ]. ~ Given it's initial applications "space" vs how it might have been repurposed ?

Normally I wouldn't mention that but the photo of Mamiya RB67 (or similar) on a GDU plate (on instajarred) and stuff floated out there before HYDROGEN launch for broader ecosystem Needs and Requirements for various "Imagers".

__________________________________________________ __________________________________

@Ethan VerKuilen That's a good thought man... I had forgotten about some of that ---> RE: stills

~ Don't want to start a totally "cray cray" unsubstantiated rumor. I assume the probability of a 6K x 6k squarish format must be nearly zero ? Yet square or more square-ish and globally shuttered <--- Couldn't find the rubbing chin in ponderous refrain emoticon …

On the other hand we haven't seen photo's of the whole sensor and I gotta admit image circle wise the choice of lenses that folks are putting on the KOMODO seem kinda interesting to me ? Hmmmm ….
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________

A 25 year long equipment list / toy box of stuff that's waaaaaaay too long and too bizarre and obscure to mention (even here).

~ But the HYDROGENS I have kicking about the place could be "Handy" for a bit of reduced price KOMODO "Action" ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    Between my Komodo Cfast photo last week and Jim's reference in the Hydrogen thread there has been a ton of speculation of what Komodo is, and it sure is fun to watch imaginations run wild.

I told everyone that I wouldn't reveal Komodo until it was ready.. There still is a bunch of time before the first batch starts shipping towards the end of the year and everything can and probably will change.

But in the spirit of discovery... perhaps I can still stay inside those rules and tell you what Komodo is not :)

- It is not DSMC3
    - It is not a replacement for DSMC2
    - It is not 8k VV
    - It is not a Dragon or a Helium or a Gemini or a Monstro Sensor
    - It does not have an HDMI port
    - It does not use proprietary media
    - It is not a “module”
    - It is not under $5k, unless you own a Hydrogen.
    - It has no XLR ports
    - It does not have a fixed lens
    - It’s body does not weight more than 2 pounds.
    - It is not larger than 4 inches in any dimension.

O.. and since Komodo is alive and breathing and you will probably see it pop up over the next few weeks and months in the hands of some very talented people banging on it to try and break it... I guess I can at least leave you with this......

@ Ethan VerKuilen

So a larger sensor vertically (more geared to stills and windowed short bursts dynamically) would not conflict with any of the "Harry Potter" / Scooby-Doo type clues above ^^^ that Jarred kindly set out there...

To my eye taking into account parallax and likely depth, and lens used / angle of view, that sensor corner looks like it drops quite low in the circle of the mount / flange ?

(could be a taller sensor ~ good for inset digital effects (better use of the frame) and maybe even production stills ? ~ shrugging shoulders...

(maybe ? maybe not ?).

+ long bursts / short sequences etc. , windowed differently ?

Maybe time willing will attempt to read the entire thread ... [In pieces over a number of days lol.].

Anybody mention the possibility of APS -H sensor like CANON's 28.7mm x 19mm ish -ish ? (for size-ish ?)

6Kish x 3.97 isk K sensor ≈ 23.8 MP -ish ????

(apologies if this has already been mentioned).

APS-H-ish
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________

A 25 year long equipment list / toy box of stuff that's waaaaaaay too long and too bizarre and obscure to mention (even here).

~ But the HYDROGENS I have kicking about the place could be "Handy" for a bit of reduced price KOMODO "Action" ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Lange View Post
    @ Ethan VerKuilen

Maybe time willing will attempt to read the entire thread ... [In pieces over a number of days lol.].

Anybody mention the possibility of APS -H sensor like CANON's 28.7mm x 19mm ish -ish ? (for size-ish ?)

6Kish x 3.97 isk K sensor ≈ 23.8 MP -ish ????
    It was confirmed a couple months back as being 27.03 x 14.25 with a 6144 x 3240 resolution, so roughly 17:9.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Genova View Post
    It was confirmed a couple months back as being 27.03 x 14.25 with a 6144 x 3240 resolution, so roughly 17:9.
    That's what I was wondering I just stumbled across this

https://news.broadfield.com/red-and-...k-sensor-size/

"Shooting Format = RED Komodo 6K
    Format Size = 27.03 x 14.25mm (30.56mm image circle)
    Format Resolution = 6144 x 3240 (19.91 megapixels)
    Format Aspect Ratio = 1.90:1
    Total Resolution Disparity = 213%"

@Ryam Genova thanks for that (appreciate it) . [Sorry about that.].

https://www.provideocoalition.com/re...k-sensor-size/

Comparisons with Kodak Film – Super 35mm S-Perf (frame By Phil Holland.).

So this is RED made sensor ? (not easy to define maybe ?).

(Interesting aspect ratio for sure - nice).

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Lange View Post
    That's what I was wondering I just stumbled across this
    So this is RED made sensor ?
    That's a copy pasta from my formatCompare tool comparing Komodo's sensor size with the Kodak 3-perf image plane, though uncredited *tears*.

Here you go:
    http://phfx.com/tools/formatCompare/...&focalLengths=

And yes, this is an entirely new RED sensor. So new it does new things too.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    That's a copy pasta from my formatCompare tool comparing Komodo's sensor size with the Kodak 3-perf image plane, though uncredited *tears*.

Here you go:
    http://phfx.com/tools/formatCompare/...&focalLengths=

And yes, this is an entirely new RED sensor. So new it does new things too.
    [Emphasis added].

Oooookaaaay lovely ~ That's really really really important (thanks for chiming in with that / perfect timing).

Speaking plainly / bluntly, folks that don't have camera manufactories (of their own) are kinda dependent on whether a company that does make sensors/ cameras / blocks has some sort of interest in their own technologies -especially in terms of follow through (in one form or another).

So although KOMODO in it's current incarnation may not persist for that many years (per say), at least in it's exact current form, it's good to know at least that RED might have more than a passing exploratory interest in some of the technologies that underpin KOMODO.

Just trying to communicate that as for 3rd party developers (in general), seeing a sort of continued interest is important as it is an expensive exercise to develop peripheral and extended capabilities for a line (to integrate with) that gets cancelled before one can demonstrate "Ohhh BTW you can do thiiiissssssss with the KOMODO etc. tech (if you want to). " .

So hopefully KOMODO sensor tech has spin off / peripheral longer term (potential) applications inside the house of RED. I.e. at least being considered as a possibility rather than a total dead end (regardless)- as much as anyone on the inside has their own crystal balls well tuned etc. (as much as anyone can).

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________

Copypasta - No photocredit - Tut tut -----> Just started playing around with your Format:Compare tools embedded in / onto your web site - nice man, really nice ! And lots of different formats and manufacturers / brands … They should have given you a linked credit etc.

Odds of owning one (in hand) by March?
    Mavick Media | www.mavickmedia.com | @MavickMedia
    Alberta Canada | Oslo Norway

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Fiorino View Post
    Odds of owning one (in hand) by March?
    I think that is unlikely. Jarred mentioned that the next pre-production run comes back mid-Feb. Even if there are no more changes after that, I doubt these will be in our hands by March.

Does the komodo connect to a phone? i.e. for the ability to send files via Airdrop or something similar. Then once on phone edit in 6K (if needed) and upload direct to youtube or similar website. Holopix

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Porto View Post
    Does the komodo connect to a phone? i.e. for the ability to send files via Airdrop or something similar. Then once on phone edit in 6K (if needed) and upload direct to youtube or similar website. Holopix
    IIRC, it will connect to both Android (initially) and iOS (later) devices via a cradle with USB-C/lightning that uses the top pogo pins. This will allow monitoring and camera control. We don't know yet about editing on the phone, but my guess is they will develop an app that will be able to save proxies to the phone. Doubt 6K raw editing will be feasible, but perhaps it will be possible to access the raw files on the camera and upload them via the phone. My hope is that they give developers access so people like Mikael Lubtchansky (foolcontrol) can develop apps to do all these things.