Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Closed Thread
Page 313 of 371 FirstFirst ... 213263303309310311312313314315316317323363 ... LastLast
Results 3,121 to 3,130 of 3709
    I want to trade my hydrogen toward other gear. Will I still be able to get the Komodo discount even if I do not have it anymore? I was one of the preorders.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos_Crespo View Post
    I think one thing you really can expect from me is doing fun stuff with that RF mount.

In conjunction with RF lenses? I thought the AF will need at least a couple of firmware upgrades to get to the point we want to have it...
    As for me, at least at the beginning until AF works properly I'll use my Zeiss Otus EF mount lenses with the V-ND filter...
    I have a lot, and I mean a lot of lenses. And weird ones at that. So yes to native RF glass, but there's also a landscape to adapt so many other lenses to this camera rather painlessly like your Otus primes and behind the lens ND of "many forms" is possible in that case.

Actually for PL users this is going to be an interesting use case for POV cams and all that with all the known and unknown ND options.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Edited because I can't read.

Lensrentals' review of the Pocket Cinema 4K says you cannot shoot *uncompressed* raw on CFast and will need an external harddrive for that. However, that's a cuckoo bananas 400MB/s data rate (and almost 1GB/s on the Pocket 6K!!) that Redcode doesn't reach even at 8K. BRaw's 3:1 drops to rational levels probably more in the ballpark of what we're talking about for Komodo. However, there are still anecdotal reports out there of dropped frame issues even at compressed rates. Hopefully that's a camera-side issue and not indicative of CFast's throughput.

At least Blackmagic offers some compression schemes. If you've bought a Sigma fp, good luck to you I guess. Cards are SD UHS-II and data rates are in the 300's unless you just don't shoot raw.

Since HDMI isn't robust enough for Komodo, I'm going to guess we won't be plugging in USB 3 harddrives LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Saxon View Post
    Lensrentals review of the Pocket Cinema 4K has me concerned saying "If you want to shoot raw buy a harddrive, we couldn't find a CFast card fast enough."
    Different codec no?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    I have a lot, and I mean a lot of lenses. And weird ones at that. So yes to native RF glass, but there's also a landscape to adapt so many other lenses to this camera rather painlessly like your Otus primes and behind the lens ND of "many forms" is possible in that case.

Actually for PL users this is going to be an interesting use case for POV cams and all that with all the known and unknown ND options.
    Nice and ^^^ This is gonna be a lot of fun.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________

A 25 year long equipment list / toy box of stuff that's waaaaaaay too long and too bizarre and obscure to mention (even here).

~ But the HYDROGENS I have kicking about the place could be "Handy" for a bit of reduced price KOMODO "Action" ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dease View Post
    Different codec no?
    Yes, although the data rate is what matters in this context regardless of how it's encoded. But my post was still wrong because I overlooked that they were referring to fully uncompressed [which has a bonkers data rate].

Little green beauty.
    Dragon-X 6k

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Saxon View Post
    BRaw's 3:1 drops to rational levels probably more in the ballpark of what we're talking about for Komodo. However, there are still anecdotal reports out there of dropped frame issues even at compressed rates.
    I haven't been able to get reliable performance with BRAW 3:1 (or Q0) on the Pocket 6K. Sometimes it works fine and sometimes it fails after a few seconds. It's not really consistent and doesn't seem to be dependent on motion, complexity of details in the scene, etc. 3:1 BRAW is 323 MB/s which is a decent amount below the advertised sustained write of most high performance cards, so it could be a camera issue. Then again, if you dig into the specs, nearly every card has a minimum write speed of 130 MB/s, which could be a problem. Redcode RAW 6K 3:1 is actually only around 244 MB/s, so this might well be a non-issue for Komodo (if it has 3:1).

I own an FS7 and typically work with rented cameras (Red/Arri/Venice) for non-doc stuff with a little budget. The FX9 and C500 II both are very attractive as potential upgrades, on the one hand; on the other, last year I nearly pulled the trigger on a Scarlet-W. But I've been holding off on a decision until there's been a chance to really evaluate Komodo.

They're all quite different cameras-- but are part of the same discussion about investment as an owner-operator. Setting aside my thoughts on full frame, I see the FX9 as a nice direct upgrade to the FS7 (lots of image upgrades at an attractive price, timecode, etc.), and the C500II as better able to play a bit both in doc and narrative/commercial world due to the availability of a higher res RAW workflow. With the FX9, I'd still be renting for most narrative stuff. But how often would the C500II be billable as a replacement for a Red or Arri, or would I still always be renting-- and with a more expensive camera that you can't just throw up on your shoulder the way you can an FS7? So, while a lot about the Komodo remains a question mark, I'm definitely one of those indie filmmakers interested in testing Komodo as an A-cam on the type of job where I'm currently renting a Scarlet-W or 6k Dragon. I'm excited about the idea of being able to offer Red's proven capabilities in the narrative/commercial world (top-tier s35 image quality, modularity, post workflow) for an investment under $10k-- and with the benefit of a global shutter.
    With this in mind, I personally care less about built-in ND than how secure the mount is when used with PL lenses, less about lack of dual ISO than image quality at base ISO, less about HDMI ports than SDI ports that are easy to access and practical power solutions. And I'm eager to learn about the codecs and compression options-- and how they play out in the real world.
    Looking forward to learning about this stuff with all of the rest of you...

Yep. I've sold quite a bit of older gear the last few months and am about to make my big purchase for the next few years. The C500 II is definitely a strong contender, perhaps with the 1DX III as a great B-Cam. But the file sizes in full-frame raw definitely give me pause.

Been waiting to see what the Komodo is and when I could get it. Definitely at the top of the list but projects are starting soon. And just not quite enough information out there yet to make a final decision. Hoping for a launch soon.

Any updates from the Red team? Mid February - March still on track for getting it into buyers' hands?