Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Closed Thread
Page 56 of 371 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066106156 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fahnon Bennett View Post
    You're probably right. I'm assuming this means it doesn't record 4k+ in ProRes in-body, but I think the existing cameras only go up to 2k.
    The DSMC2 cameras can record up to 4K ProRes in camera (422, not 444). I don't do that often because 4K ProRes is as big as 8K Redcode. :)
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Rakesh Malik
    Director of Photography, Colorist
    http://WinterLight.studio
    http://www.imdb.me/rakeshmalik

Quote Originally Posted by L. Langer View Post
    It may be ProRes RAW. Atomos is incorporating it in their products.
    I know but I don't see the point of that from a RED camera since it already records a better RAW format (IMHO) internaly.
    BUT, the infamous Atomos/RED discussions or deal whatever is the right way to call it might have been about a way to get the raw 4K signal out of a RED body to an Atomos recorder to get it to convert it to ProRes so that the camera doesn't have to do that processing so less heat less power and so on.
    I might be totally wrong here :)
    VIDEO EDITING - COLOR GRADING - VFX
    APPLE FINAL CUT PRO, AVID MEDIA COMPOSER
    ADOBE CREATIVE CLOUD, DAVINCI RESOLVE, REDCINE X PRO...

Quote Originally Posted by Cole Sprague View Post
    I know it's a long shot, but I hope we still have interchangeable OLPFs. I can think of some interesting uses for a tiny IR camera.
    Me too I really really hope for interchangeable OLPFs !! I don't know if it's a realistic wish but if it's feasible for them to do it and they know we want it perhaps they've done it or they'll add it in :)

Quote Originally Posted by David Grigorian View Post
    Out of sheer curiosity, what is that focus wheel looking thing on the left side?

Sorry this post wasn't about Komodo :D

Quote Originally Posted by Fahnon Bennett View Post
    You're probably right. I'm assuming this means it doesn't record 4k+ in ProRes in-body, but I think the existing cameras only go up to 2k.
    I'm totally fine with the camera not recording ProRes in-camera as long as it can record RedCode Raw in-camera. I can't imagine Red would leave RedCode out of the camera since it's probably their biggest advantage against any of the competition, but you never know at this price point.

Knowing what we know now (CFast media, affordable batteries, RF Mount, compact size, around $6k, SDI 4k, etc), this is an instant buy for me if it has RedCode Raw, a Super35mm sensor or larger, and more than 60fps in 4K (hoping for 96fps).

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrin Sheldon View Post
    I'm totally fine with the camera not recording ProRes in-camera as long as it can record RedCode Raw in-camera. I can't imagine Red would leave RedCode out of the camera since it's probably their biggest advantage against any of the competition, but you never know at this price point.

Knowing what we know now (CFast media, affordable batteries, RF Mount, compact size, around $6k, SDI 4k, etc), this is an instant buy for me if it has RedCode Raw, a Super35mm sensor or larger, and more than 60fps in 4K (hoping for 96fps).
    Jarred confirmed on Instagram that it has RedCode built in.

Quote Originally Posted by gabrielB View Post
    Me too I really really hope for interchangeable OLPFs !! I don't know if it's a realistic wish but if it's feasible for them to do it and they know we want it perhaps they've done it or they'll add it in :)
    I know I already said it maybe once or twice in the thread already, but since it's made a resurgence I'll throw in that this is a feature I'd love to see as well but I'm fairly doubtful that we'll get it.

Both the DSMC1 and 2 OLPF's had some fairly significant extra space around the edges that in it's current form, based on Jarred's sensor photo, just seems like there's not enough room for with the fixed mount.
    Although, things like clip filters exist so maybe RED could do a similar but more secure slim-style for the OLPF than we've seen before.
    Brandon Veen | Digital Curator at Hedderich's
    Epic-X Dragon #08127 + Fujifilm GFX50R + Leica BLK360

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Johnson View Post
    Out of sheer curiosity, what is that focus wheel looking thing on the left side?

Sorry this post wasn't about Komodo :D
    Hey Andy that is a RED DIGITAL CINEMA WHEEL HANDLE which was a DSMC1 accessory.

I really like the way it feels in hand when attached to the side of the camera body. Having it so close to the body doesn't put a lot of torque on your wrist from the weight of the camera, making it much easier to hold.
    Last edited by David Grigorian; 08-15-2019 at 02:19 PM.

My thoughts on the RED/Atomos relationship. It may be possible that Red shared some of the color science with Atomos (IPP2) meaning that maybe the Atomos is able to handle IPP2 for monitoring. So Atomos receives the Raw signal from Komodo and is then able to read that data and give us a pleasing image with different IPP2 Luts to pick from. I could be way off though. Another thought to mention (surprised i haven't seen anyone say this yet) the form factor of the Komodo could be great for use in a 3D rig. Maybe that is what the 3rd port on the back is for?

Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by Rakesh Malik View Post
    The DSMC2 cameras can record up to 4K ProRes in camera (422, not 444). I don't do that often because 4K ProRes is as big as 8K Redcode. :)
    Thanks; good to know.