Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Reply to Thread
Page 67 of 124 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869707177117 ... LastLast
    That's all the past, but it helps me keep an eye of the future. Komodo is a bit of an interesting case as I believe where this project is now headed is overall a better path than what it was originally and something a bit more useful when you look at it with a wider lens. Some are pretty critical of the change of form factor, but that really was going to be a limiting concept in my mind when it comes to actually using the thing. That's something most professionals can see pretty clearly and some of that conversation seems to be muddled down as more interesting features are revealed. I see a tiny cinema camera, Soderberg likely sees the tool he's been looking so hard for.
    Yes! Komodo is a much more practical and appealing solution all around, however Hydrogen fits into the mix. Intelligent, even brilliant, design choices from what we know so far.
    It is becoming possible to build much higher levels of processing into lower power and thermal envelopes.
    I read a preview of Intel’s 10th gen mobile i7 processors built on 10nm fab. Quadcore hyperthreaded version with significantly better performance than my comparable 6th gen has a maximum power consumption of just 17 watts vs 95 watts.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    I see a tiny cinema camera, Soderberg likely sees the tool he's been looking so hard for.
    This is the camera that I've been looking for, too. Most of my production is in the outdoors & marine industry. I need light weight, rugged gear that can easily travel and be stored in small hatches. Image quality is critical. Affordability is also very high on the list. Even with the best preparation and safety measures in place, accidents happen. It's painful when gear takes a plunge. Less painful when the gear doesn't cost $25k+.

Even better when a camera shoot 6k, matches well with my other Reds, and I can get 2-3 of them... a fleet of "B" cams. I couldn't be more excited.

Quote Originally Posted by David Johnson View Post
    This is the camera that I've been looking for, too. Most of my production is in the outdoors & marine industry. I need light weight, rugged gear that can easily travel and be stored in small hatches. Image quality is critical. Affordability is also very high on the list. Even with the best preparation and safety measures in place, accidents happen. It's painful when gear takes a plunge. Less painful when the gear doesn't cost $25k+.

Even better when a camera shoot 6k, matches well with my other Reds, and I can get 2-3 of them... a fleet of "B" cams. I couldn't be more excited.
    I have a feeling that you're not alone in that... I'm eyeing Komodo both for b-cam (i.e. the gimbal cam on narratives) and a mountaineering camera...
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Rakesh Malik
    Director of Photography, Colorist
    http://WinterLight.studio
    http://www.imdb.me/rakeshmalik

If Komodo has 16+ stops dynamic range, redcode RAW, S35 sensor or larger, and 4k/120fps (with minimal or no crop) it would be extremely disruptive to the market. The 6K and resolution race isn't really what interests me about Komodo, it's more about it's size and if it can do HFR for Gimbal / Crash Cam / Action work. I believe many are in need of a cam with those specs for a dedicated Gimbal Rig as it becomes tiring stripping down a DSMC2 body and throwing it on a Ronin / Movi (with Readyrig / Easyrig) and going back and forth between stabilized and handheld as a single operator. I have an exact need for a cam like that and Komodo with these specs would also play very well matching as an overall B-cam to my gemini at half the price. If it has Redcode Raw, decent dynamic range, and can do 4k/120 I am definitely getting one.
    R3D DSMC2 GEMINI
    Canon CN-E Primes

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Reese View Post
    If Komodo has 16+ stops dynamic range, redcode RAW, S35 sensor or larger, and 4k/120fps (with minimal or no crop) it would be extremely disruptive to the market. The 6K and resolution race isn't really what interests me about Komodo, it's more about it's size and if it can do HFR for Gimbal / Crash Cam / Action work. I believe many are in need of a cam with those specs for a dedicated Gimbal Rig as it becomes tiring stripping down a DSMC2 body and throwing it on a Ronin / Movi (with Readyrig / Easyrig) and going back and forth between stabilized and handheld as a single operator. I have an exact need for a cam like that and Komodo with these specs would also play very well matching as an overall B-cam to my gemini at half the price. If it has Redcode Raw, decent dynamic range, and can do 4k/120 I am definitely getting one.
    Exactly, a small and light red camera for gimball work would be good sent. But I truly hope it have a god autofocus as I would probely use that 80% when on a gimball.
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Reese View Post
    so your bet is on better sepcs then the Raven? hmmmm. im also not getting hopes up for good autofcus. I think the two appealing things for me are 4k sdi out for stage rigs, and the battery situation, which is the one weakness of the BM 6k and 4k cameras.
    Last edited by jordan levy; 08-23-2019 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jordan levy View Post
    so your bet is on better sepcs then the Raven? hmmmm. im also not getting hopes up for good autofcus. I think the two appealing things for me are 4k sdi out for stage rigs, and the battery situation, which is the one weakness of the BM 6k camera.
    2 hours on a battery is acceptable for most shooters.
    4k 12G-SDI out is great feature (live shooting, ext. rec., focussing on a 4k screen, etc..).

Quote Originally Posted by Misha Engel View Post
    2 hours on a battery is acceptable for most shooters.
    Based on my briefest experience with the BMDPCC6K a couple days ago, you're looking at about ~30 min for general use depending on your filming habits. Lower if you just have it on a bunch before rolling. Straight roll is about 45min on a fresh LP-E6.

I'd recommend the grip or an external solution if you are looking for or longer run times. The grip wasn't around, but based on shear math you'll be floating in the 1-1.5 hour range w/ the grip. Loose estimates if you go the V-Mount route, likely around ~5.5 hours via a 150Wh battery, ~< 3.5 hours on a 98Wh battery. Shave 10 min or so off that for variation in batteries (some aren't exactly those capacities).

There's a broad variety of different batteries out there in these form factors and mounts or the internal cam and grip, but that should be within a reasonable margin for what's out there.

You'll draw more juice depending on the media you use. Longest life will be SD, then CFFast, than external SSD leading to likely the shortest run time depending on the drive. I'll dive deeper if I ever am asked to for whatever reason.

Back on topic Komodo-wise, we don't know jack diddly squat about runtime yet. Jarred said "hours and hours and hours" or something like that. I do think it's incredibly smart to have hot swap right on there and you can choose a few different sizes to make your Komodo electric lizard booty as big or as small as you want it. Sounds like you can even run off of one "cheek"... erm... battery if really trying to save on weight. Yes I am coining the term battery buns :)
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Based on my briefest experience with the BMDPCC6K a couple days ago, you're looking at about ~30 min for general use depending on your filming habits. Lower if you just have it on a bunch before rolling. Straight roll is about 45min on a fresh LP-E6.

Back on topic Komodo-wise, we don't know jack diddly squat about runtime yet. Jarred said "hours and hours and hours" or something like that. I do think it's incredibly smart to have hot swap right on there and you can choose a few different sizes to make your Komodo electric lizard booty as big or as small as you want it. Sounds like you can even run off of one "cheek"... erm... battery if really trying to save on weight. Yes I am coining the term battery buns :)
    I think Misha is referring to the battery life using the Battery grip, which most people don't own. With a larger battery like Sony NP-F you get almost 3 hrs on the Pocket 6K. The battery and power draw may not be that different from the RED Komodo, depending on what batteries they are referring to that last "hours and hours and hours"

Quote Originally Posted by Savannah Miller View Post
    I think Misha is referring to the battery life using the Battery grip, which most people don't own. With a larger battery like Sony NP-F you get almost 3 hrs on the Pocket 6K.
    They are the smaller L-Series in there, basically going from one internal "approximate" 2000 Mah battery to two "approximate" 2000 Mah batteries. It will be just double the life you are getting off the single battery solution w/ that grip. The Tilta you can use the bigger beasts it appears and go from there. BMD states "around 2 hours". I'm mostly saying under typical conditions based on what I saw a couple days ago, 1-1.5 hours w/ that grip.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon