Thread: Interview light

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    No need to get an M18 involved. You can easily recreate this with your 120d and lightdome + some black fabric. If you're going to be shooting 2 people then maybe bring in the M18.
    Aaron Green - Chicago, IL
    DRAGON X
    www.instagram.com/aaronkgreen

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Green View Post
    No need to get an M18 involved. You can easily recreate this with your 120d and lightdome + some black fabric. If you're going to be shooting 2 people then maybe bring in the M18.
    Yeah the reason why I want to use the M18 is because we are shooting at noon with a lot of windows I cannot flag or block out. So there is a lot of ambient light and we want to show the location/background as well. And I am kinda worried the 120d will not cut it, as it cannot compete nowhere near the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cage View Post
    Yeah the reason why I want to use the M18 is because we are shooting at noon with a lot of windows I cannot flag or block out. So there is a lot of ambient light and we want to show the location/background as well. And I am kinda worried the 120d will not cut it, as it cannot compete nowhere near the sun.
    In general, anytime you have the ability to have a source as powerful as an M18 on the job, do so. You'd rather have too much firepower than not enough. Always overestimate how much light you will need.

If you're shooting in a area with a lot of windows, the M18 is a good start. I do agree that it's better to have that M18 and not need the that power than not have it at all. That being said, having the proper grip and tools to control that light is important.

With your sample, you'll want to make sure you can control that light especially given you're shooting in a room with "a lot of windows". Find out what you need to expose your subject and hold the windows and expose from there. You'll likely have your subject in silhouette but that really depends on what's outside those windows, time of day, and how light is hitting things outside (or even direct light coming into the windows). There's plenty of variables in that situation. But stoping down (or using ND's) to find your exposure for the windows, and then exposing the left side of your subject with your key (diffuse to taste.), you'll likely end of with a silhouette on your subjects right side. Though as many said, negative fill will be your friend as well.
    justin chin
    infinite machine
    www.infinitemachine.com