Thread: Super35 Lenses on the Gemini?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Super35 Lenses on the Gemini? 
    I have an Optimo Rouge 16-42 and a Style 30-76. They vignette on the Gemini at 5k. I've been shooting in 4k to avoid the issue. Curious to see what everyone has been doing with Super35 lenses on the Gemini at 5k. There's a lot of old glass out there and larger sensors are upon us.

Have you considered getting an expander? Of course you lose your field of view and a bit of light, but you could at least capture the full resolution of the sensor.

Expanders have drawbacks for sure in certain instances

Definitely worth a test though, there are a lot of expanders out there now with different magnifications
    JAKE WILGANOWSKI
    Director of Photography / Filmmaker
    CINE-AUTOMATIC.COM

I looked into them. I don't want to lose any light...

I've had Gemini in my hands less than a week, so take this with a grain of salt: If the lens was optically designed to project to a specific image circle, why not use the crop function to recreate the frame size it's designed for? Genuine question, not trying to be snooty.

I have a set of Zeiss SS MKI and they will not cover 5k on Gemini because of the oversized sensor. Shooting 4.5k fixes this (still have to test falloff on the 18mm though - might have to drop to 4k).

Do you feel that the extra res will balance out any possible weirdness extra optics might introduce?

Also no current expander will won’t work with the 16.42....

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Suchorsky View Post
    I have an Optimo Rouge 16-42 and a Style 30-76. They vignette on the Gemini at 5k. I've been shooting in 4k to avoid the issue. Curious to see what everyone has been doing with Super35 lenses on the Gemini at 5k. There's a lot of old glass out there and larger sensors are upon us.
    I have the Optimo DP lenses too. Excellent lenses its too bad that they struggle to cover the 5K. For zooms a good quality one that are not stupid expensive that covers are the Zeiss LW zooms. The Sigma cine zooms work well. Both of these lenses are surprisingly good. I also have a set of Cooke Mini S4i that cover the 5K sensor perfectly. Oddly enough they are better than the S4i for coverage.
    Vision Bridge Media, LLC

Most of my primes cover 5k. I bought a full frame 18mm to cover that end, and I bought a rehoused Ang. 28-70 to cover the leight weight zoom end of things. The super 35 size of the chip is 4k, so if a really need to use lenses that don't cover the whole chip, that's the solution.

Nick

Use FF lenses maybe?

G.
    HD HOUSE - www.TheHdHouse.com
    info@thehdhouse.com 305-597-7359
    RED DSMC2 Hellium, Gemini & Monstro - ALEXA LF - ALEXA MINI - VARICAM 35 - SONY VENICE
    COOKE S4 & S7 - Arri UltraPrimes - Zeiss SUPREME & CZ Zooms
    COOKE Anamorphics (SF) 25mm, 32, 40, 50, 65 MACRO, 75, 100, 135 & 180mm
    Angenieux Optimo 28-340mm - Angenieux Optimo 19.5-94mm
    Angenieux Optimo STYLE 16-40mm - Angenieux Optimo STYLE 30-76mm
    Canon Cabrio XK 20-120mm - CANON 30-300mm
    3-Wall CYC Studio, Sound & Lighting

Well that means you will never shoot with vintage S35 glass. Which is fine, if you aren't interested in that. A lot of people are, though.