Thread: The perfect Gemini Kit for me?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 The perfect Gemini Kit for me? 
    I'm a director who wants to move from a c200 to a Gemini. I'll keep the c200 for b cam. The look I love most is the Alexa mini with Atlas anamorphic lenses, luted but rich pastel colors and natural HBO indie lighting. (If that's even a thing) I'm going RED over Arri though for frame rate and costs. 100% of my content is destined for social media, YouTube and local cable commercials. I'll rarely ever need to deliver 5k final video. Definitely never 8k. My questions are:
    1. Is Gemini the best sensor for anamorphic?
    2. Are atlas the cheapest anamorphic that will work with the Gemini?
    3. Is there a usable kit for under 35k with red armor new?
    4. Can I easily edit R3D 5k on a 2019 max iMac? With heavy grades and effects in FCPX?
    5. Coming from a C200 what should I know and prepare myself for?

Please please please make a Full Frame Gemini, with high frame rate capabilities..and I will buy a pair!
    --
    cheers,
    Jeff Barklage, s.o.c.
    www.barklage.com
    agent: Orlando Agency http://orlando-agency.com
    Vimeo Reel: http://www.vimeo.com/user5504817
    IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0055058/?ref_=nv_sr_1
    USA based DP

I can help answer a couple of your questions.

2. SLR Magic makes 1.33x anamorphic lenses that are much cheaper than Atlas. But, I mean ... just look at them. I like the idea of a 1.33x squeeze using the full Gemini sensor, but they look awful (unless you're into that sort of thing).

4. I edit on my base-level iMac Pro using FCP, and barely lifts a finger playing back 5K with multiple LUTs and color corrections, at least using the "better performance" setting. I think the 2019 iMac will do just fine. You'll need to generate ProRes ("optimized media") for things like noise reduction and stabilization, but you'll never need proxies again.

Why not considering a used Alexa if it’s the look you like? A ready to shoot full Alexa XT Plus kit, with 4 x 512GB cards, card reader, viewfinder, some accessories will cost 20k, calibration and checking at Arri Service Center included. You can shoot up to 120fps (S35) uncompressed, you can shoot 4/3. It’s a perfect camera for anamorphic. And editing and grading is less power hungry than Red.