Thread: Anybody know this problem - Scarlet-X dead!

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Wait, what? But the OP’s *is* broken. And the repair was quoted as almost *three times* the cost of a p4k (which does more and is an objectively better camera in almost every measure).

No one is saying to ditch working kit, but the OP is euchred here and it’d be supremely stupid to drop $3500US on a repair of a Scarlet-X regardless of what support kit you still have. Shit, there’s a used Scarlet package in the market place right now for <$3kCAD/$2250USD with everything (mount, 5” touch, a couple mags, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    Wait, what? But the OP’s *is* broken...
    I jumped in due to other reasons and did not consider the op's situation.
    I just see this topic come up time to time.
    < Someday I'll be cool enough to have something witty here >

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Santiago View Post
    I jumped in due to other reasons and did not consider the op's situation.
    I just see this topic come up time to time.
    Oh okay, I gotcha.

Yeah, I think (hope?) most in the thread are going under the presumption that a broken Scarlet-X definitely isn't worth fixing for anything over $1300 (aka the p4k's retail price)... Or at least, that's my reasoning (I own both; the p4k is substantially better imo).

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    Oh okay, I gotcha.

Yeah, I think (hope?) most in the thread are going under the presumption that a broken Scarlet-X definitely isn't worth fixing for anything over $1300 (aka the p4k's retail price)... Or at least, that's my reasoning (I own both; the p4k is substantially better imo).
    Was ready to buy a pocket two years ago for drone use.
    I got more into post and renting so opted to keep the Scarlet afloat.
    I am sure when if it does happen (dont want to jinx it) I will sing a different tune.
    < Someday I'll be cool enough to have something witty here >

Just to update you guys, I received my BMD Pocket 6k the other day. I still miss the form factor of the RED, and I hate the onboard screen configuration, which is useless for anything but indoor eye-level shots. BUT the awesome 6K picture, and the RAW implementation, which so far feels at least on par with REDCODE will probably make me forget that. And if not the 1500 spare dollars in my pocket (compared to the Scarlet repair), and the 2 year warranty on a brand spanking new camera definitely will.

I have loved my RED dearly for quite a few years, but in end this is just an unbeatable value-for-money solution right now. And waiting for Komodo to come around, at what will likely be twice the price, just isn't feasible for me.