Thread: Anybody know this problem - Scarlet-X dead!

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Anybody know this problem - Scarlet-X dead! 
    My trusty old Scarlet-X broke down today. I'm truly hoping that someone knows if this is somehow fixable.

What happened was this. The camera was running, on battery, hooked up to an HDMI monitor, as we did some light adjustments. That's when we noticed some weird black vertical lines on the monitor. They clearly showed up on the histogram as well, so it wasn't just a monitor-fluke.
    We decided that a reboot would be just the thing. It wasn't though :-(
    As we turned the camera back on nothing appeared on screen, and since then we haven't been able to get a picture. The LED next to the power-button turns yellow, and stays yellow. The fan starts up, but seems to do a little hickup (speed change) every few seconds. The camera just stays like that now, until you press and hold the power button to kill it, or unplug it.
    We tried doing a hard reset (holding the button for 30+ seconds), but that doesn't seem to work. We also tried a firmware update, but that also doesn't take.

I'm worried. Any opinions?

Hi Jonas and sorry to hear you about the problem. Try to send a message to https://cvp.com/ technicians, mine broke down but they managed to fix everything very quickly. I hope this will help you.

Thanks. I'll look into that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas Kvist Jensen View Post
    My trusty old Scarlet-X broke down today. I'm truly hoping that someone knows if this is somehow fixable.

What happened was this. The camera was running, on battery, hooked up to an HDMI monitor, as we did some light adjustments. That's when we noticed some weird black vertical lines on the monitor. They clearly showed up on the histogram as well, so it wasn't just a monitor-fluke.
    We decided that a reboot would be just the thing. It wasn't though :-(
    As we turned the camera back on nothing appeared on screen, and since then we haven't been able to get a picture. The LED next to the power-button turns yellow, and stays yellow. The fan starts up, but seems to do a little hickup (speed change) every few seconds. The camera just stays like that now, until you press and hold the power button to kill it, or unplug it.
    We tried doing a hard reset (holding the button for 30+ seconds), but that doesn't seem to work. We also tried a firmware update, but that also doesn't take.

I'm worried. Any opinions?
    I can take a look at it the image issue you’re describing sounds like an isp
    C.G. Productions and Entertainment

RED DSMC 1 Repair

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...TMf5gdvV-FxAln

So, just to follow up, for anybody who might come across this thread.
    I sent the camera to CVP, who says that the fault is with the OMAP board, which needs replacing. Apparently this is 2000 Euro deal, so I'll have to decide whether that's worth it. It is certainly right around that point, where it might not be - not least because something else might fail next week.

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonas Kvist Jensen View Post
    So, just to follow up, for anybody who might come across this thread.
    I sent the camera to CVP, who says that the fault is with the OMAP board, which needs replacing. Apparently this is 2000 Euro deal, so I'll have to decide whether that's worth it. It is certainly right around that point, where it might not be - not least because something else might fail next week.
    I suggest that it might be worth it. OTOH... you could buy a BM Pocket 4K for about that price. It has more overexposure latitude than the MX sensor, according to this post:

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...=1#post1864632

MX has about 5 stops over, BMP4K has about 6. IMO, the BM will have more overall DR, too. Just an idea. :-) BTW, I like small sensors, so it would be an easy choice for me. Some prefer S35 and wider.
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | Martini Ultra (blog)

I would take that risk and fix the problem like I did with mine RED. Like you said you never know what will happen next, but I like MX senser, I like the image it produce and that cinematic grain I love it. It's up to you know I guess :)

Buy a z cam e2 for that much money.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Karim D. Ghantous View Post
    I suggest that it might be worth it. OTOH... you could buy a BM Pocket 4K for about that price. It has more overexposure latitude than the MX sensor, according to this post:

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...=1#post1864632

MX has about 5 stops over, BMP4K has about 6. IMO, the BM will have more overall DR, too. Just an idea. :-) BTW, I like small sensors, so it would be an easy choice for me. Some prefer S35 and wider.
    The BMP4k is nowhere near 6 stops over at any ISO. In my testing I was able to get just over 4 stops at ISO 1000 and at that level the noise was horrific and unusable in the shadows. At 640, which is the max I would push the ISO without going to the Native 3200 rating, it had about 3.5 stops over. I'd fix the MX, it will be a much better camera.

There is also the cost of replacing everything that I would consider.
    I have invested heavily in my RED SCARLET ECO SYSTEM and would have to buy the same (or EPIC) to keep using my investment.
    < Someday I'll be cool enough to have something witty here >